Sprained ankles...How to treat them?

AM07

Awards
  • Established
I sprained my ankle bad a little over two weeks ago, and I still can't walk. It's still swollen and I don't have complete movement in that foot. I've seen an orthopaedist and he said it takes time to heal and for me to call him again if I'm still on crutches after two weeks. I'll give him a call Monday to set up the appointment.

My question is, at this point, should I still use ice on it, or should I use a heating pad, or a combination of both?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
At this point I am not sure about the hot/cold thing..I'll let the PT folks answer that one.

Soaking in Epsom salts will help some as will taking Cissus and vitamin C.

Sounds like a bad Class 3 sprain or worse. Those suck..I know.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have been a skater all my life and rolled my ankle quite a few times...keep it wrapped(ace bandage),and elevated(rest your foot on something when your just chillin,chair...etc...).......other than that at this point there isn't much else...........i agree 100% with the epsom salt also!

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice bioman and trip. According to this website, I'm thinking it's a Grade 3 sprain: http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010101/93.html

I'm going to see if I can get an MRI done and see what's really going on. I was given a moon boot to wear, but he said once I can put some weight on it, then use it. I still can't put any weight on it.

I sprained my ankle earlier in the Summer, but after about 4 days, I could limp around on it. I can't even limp around on it right now.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
How much Cissus should I be taking in everyday? I have the bulk cissus from BN, 1/4 teaspoon = 750mg.

bombBoogie

bombBoogie

Awards
  • Established
I am not sure if my technique of helping my sprains will help or not. But one time when I was playing a game of handball, and came down on my ankle full weight, I thought I dislocated it. I limped myself all the way back home, and used epson salt + alcohol + hot water for a week and it slowly got better. Even though it was still swollen like a mother, I believe that something hot attracts the blood circulation better to that region for healing.

texxlnghorn

Awards
RICE
rest,ice,compression,elevation

Heat-Only use heat before you start your workouts, to increase blood flow.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I'd go for 2-4 grams of bulk Cissus per day. Spread out the dosing throughout the day. A couple tablespoon of fish oil couldn't hurt either..will help to tamp down inflammation.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
RICE
rest,ice,compression,elevation

Heat-Only use heat before you start your workouts, to increase blood flow.
Did that for about two weeks. According to a couple doctor friends, they say at this point of the healing process, I should use heat.

I can't workout at all.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
I'd go for 2-4 grams of bulk Cissus per day. Spread out the dosing throughout the day. A couple tablespoon of fish oil couldn't hurt either..will help to tamp down inflammation.
I take NOW fish oil caps, try to take about 7-10 grams a day. Is this enough, or should I increase the dosage?

Any other supplements that can theoretically help my tendons and ligaments heal faster and become strong again over the next 4-6 months?