Do you have window tint on your car ?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I just recently got a new car and I'm thinking about putting window tint on it. I've reviewed the laws here for my state and the percentage they allow is quite light (35%). I've called around at some shops and they say 95% people get 20%.

I am considering getting 20% all around, but then again if I get a ticket it'll probably cost close to the entire tint job.

I def don't want to get 5% or even 15%, those shades are extremely obviously.

I'm debating on the diff. between 35% and 20%.

35% is extremely light and the darkest the law allows, but I really don't feel like getting a shade that I don't really want b/c of 'the law'.

What % does everyone else have on their car and have you been pulled over/ticketed for it ?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whats the point of it?. Is it just to protect the upolstry in the car from wearing from the sun?. Or is it to keep the sun out of your eyes mostly?. I never considered it because I really don't understand the purpose of it. How much does something like this cost and is it worth it for the purpose that you are seeking?

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
TINT IS GREAT... OUT HERE IN CALI YOU CAN HAVE LIMO ON BACK BUT NONE ON THE WINDSHIELD AND FRONT TWO... MOST PEOPLE I KNOW JUST ROCK IT ANYWAYS... I DIDNT PUT ANY ON THE FRONT I DONT NEED A REASON TO GET PULLED OVER.... I DRIVE A VERY DISCRETE VEHICLE... INFINITI i-30 PERFECT FOR DELIVERING LARGE QUANTITIES OF ILLEAGAL SUBSTANCES AND DEAD BODDIES(BIG TRUNK).....SO I DONT NEED AN EXTRA REASON TO GET PULLED OVER...:lol:

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
Whats the point of it?. Is it just to protect the upolstry in the car from wearing from the sun?. Or is it to keep the sun out of your eyes mostly?. I never considered it because I really don't understand the purpose of it. How much does something like this cost and is it worth it for the purpose that you are seeking?
Around here it isn't cheap to get it put on, and its just as much to get it taken off by a shop unless you want to try to do it yourself AFTER you've been sited. Here its a primary offense, you can't talk your way out of it obviously either. They take it seriously, as I've had friends pulled over, and had to do the whole put your hands out the window thing. The cop couldn't see the occupants and took no chances, which I don't blame him for doing.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
A tint jobs for a 4 door sedan is probably 200-220.00 The reason for getting it is for sun control and looks. I don't realy have a specific reason why so I'm just gonna go with 'all of the above'.

If you have the tint and get cited you have to remove it, different states have different laws. A 5% (limo tint) will get you pulled over sooner or later, it has happened to every one that I have known that has it.

20% is quite dark, you can still see a VERY MILD outline of someone inside the car.

35% you can see the person in the car with reasonable clarity.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Cool, I guess only 4 people have window tint on their cars.

biggdogg made a good point, the car I got is an A4 and not some beat up buick, I don't need another reason to get pulled over either.

sp33dkillz

sp33dkillz

Awards
I've had 5% all the way around before, and I'd never do it again. It looks great, but when it gets dark you can't see a damn thing! Go with 20%.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
haha 5% is really fcuking dark. I've rode in one with 5% you really have a hard ass time backing up at night. lol.