Hello All ( Yes D, you 2 )
Much Love to all, here is a quick guide on how to install Pidgin Messenger. This is a multi protocol messenger app ( like trillium ), that's right you can message all your AIM, MSN, Yahoo friends from this one application!
* Now is a good time to remove all your old crappy MSN, AIM etc.*
So here we go:
1. Download here: SourceForge.net: Downloading ...
or go here: Home | Pidgin
2. Download for your Operating System i.e. Windows / Linux etc.
3. Double click on file to launch installation.
4. Click next until installation path, you can change this if you need to, to wherever you need.
5. Install the GTK component if it asks you. It will install successfully
6. Next, then check "Run Pidgin <version number>"
7. Little icon will be down in teh system tray ( by the clock on windows )
8. Open the buddy list and click on "Accounts" then > Add Edit
9. Click "Add" then choose the protocol ( MSN etc ) that you have email / messenger accounts for i.e. myself I choose "MSN"
10. Screename is = email address such as firstname.lastname@example.org
( spelt purposefully wrong so I don't get crawled and spammed by internet email search engines )
11. Password = password you use to access your email / messenger
12. Local Alias is what you want your name to appear as, i.e. "SuperDr.D Extraordinaire" to others
12. Click "remember password"
13. Choose your "user options" as you wish
14. Click "Save"
It should now login to that account or at least try. If there is a problem it will tell you what's going on, fix it and try again if any problems.
Configuration and plugins:
Here are some of the plugins and settings I use:
1. Chat Logging: I turn on chat logging so I can look back and see what I have said in the past or need to retrieve information. This is found in: Buddy List > Tools > Preferences > Logging
2. Interface: I like mine: Show IMs and chats tabbed, show close button, Placement = right vertical ( once set open multiple chats with people and you will see example ), New conversations = last created window.
3. History Plugin: I like this cause if you accidently close a window while chatting it will bring up the last thing talked about: Buddy list window > Tools > Plugins > History ( if you need to configure plugins choose the plugin then "configure plugin" for more options )
4. Window options: To start Pidgin automatically on windows start up etc.
5. You can change your font and color for all messages in: Buddy list window > Tools > Preferences > Conversations > Bottom and Font to change look / color[/INDENT]
Ok well there it is folks, if you have any questions please ask them here. If you want the MSN emoticons for it I can find them for you, just ask.
P.s Now Dr. git r done!