iPhone

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
just wanted to share my success with anyone who is interested. I unlocked my iPhone today and connected with tmobile. At&ts network blows balls in az so I was forced to run away as fast as possible

This was sent using iPhone btw!:yawn:

Last edited:
Chicken

Chicken

Awards
iPhone is nice , revolutionary actually. I think the iPhone is everything I ever wanted in portable technology. Its to bad AT&T isn't holding up their end in my location. I hear AT&T is great in Cali .

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Cool. The ATT thing is the only thing keeping me away at this point ..besides lack of cash.

I'd have to run it on Verizon up here in Flagstaff.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
My buddy has one and it's pretty slick .. I could never bring myself to buy a phone like that though .. I'd just look like one of those stupid asses that just plays with his phone constantly! :hammer: also $600 for a phone is about $600 more than I'm willing to through out :thumbsup:

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My buddy has one and it's pretty slick .. I could never bring myself to buy a phone like that though .. I'd just look like one of those stupid asses that just plays with his phone constantly! :hammer: also $600 for a phone is about $600 more than I'm willing to through out :thumbsup:
Its $399 for the 8 gig model now.

I wanted to get one since it is hacked now, but that $399 is going towards a down payent on a new car.

It would be stupid to pay that much if it were just a phone, but so say its a phone is like saying your computer is an internet machine.

$399 for a device that goes online, checks email, plays music, movies, video games and runs other custom software all on an innovative touch screen is well worth it. Its worth it if you arent stuck on ATT at least.

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
Yeah, well the money spent needs to be justified that for sure. I am a full time student at ASU and I work full time. Most of my engineering homework requires that I do research on the inet, so I justified this phone because I can do homework at work when I have a chance. I wouldnt get my homework done otherwise. In fact last weekend I didnt get it done because ATT network was so slow the pages kept timming out. Anyway this thing is damn close to a laptop but half the price and 1/10th the size. I have no doubt that apple really had to pull some strings to make these things this cheap. A nokia at half the capability of the iphone gets upward of 900$ for an unsubsidized phone. Anyway day 2 on the tmobile network and everything is peachy so far!

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, well the money spent needs to be justified that for sure. I am a full time student at ASU and I work full time. Most of my engineering homework requires that I do research on the inet, so I justified this phone because I can do homework at work when I have a chance. I wouldnt get my homework done otherwise. In fact last weekend I didnt get it done because ATT network was so slow the pages kept timming out. Anyway this thing is damn close to a laptop but half the price and 1/10th the size. I have no doubt that apple really had to pull some strings to make these things this cheap. A nokia at half the capability of the iphone gets upward of 900$ for an unsubsidized phone. Anyway day 2 on the tmobile network and everything is peachy so far!

I'm thinking of getting an iphone to use with my Tmobile as well. This wont be the first device I have hacked so that wont be an issue. :lol:

How much does it cost to add unlimited data on Tmobile, and where is a good place to buy an iphone and not need to purchase a phone plan? This is tempting, but I need a new car badly before winter.

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
I say buy an iphone from at&t just to piss them off. If you want to avoid the drama then go to your nearest apple store or internet order. If you decide you want to vindictive then make sure you tell AT&T that you want to buy an Iphone without credit check because you intend on connecting with other provider. They are going to get pissy about it, but they have to sell you the phone only as a retailer under their agreement with apple.

Funny how apple anticipated people would buy phone without service. I wonder why? :rofl:

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
Doh, oh and tmobile is running a deal right now for 19.99 unlimited data plan!

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
update: AT&T is not letting existing customers transfer thier service over to iphone without signing new 2 year contract. My opinion on this is that is a fascist way of doing business. If at&t wants to subsidize the phones then the contract is justifiable but thats not the case.

To remedy this problem unlock the iphone! I did it yesterday for a friend and his existing at&t sim works now without the new contract.

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
Thanks B! I so stoked over this phone. I can even connect with my pc at home. Not that I need to do that but its pretty funny when my wife calls me because the pc is opening and closing cd drive randomly.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No kidding. I had no idea of the capabilities. That is incredible.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
How was this phone unlocked? Was it taken apart such as the first one, or is there an easier way?

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
No its all software now. If you google "ibrickr" you will find quite a few tutorials on using ibrickr to interface with the phone. It would be wise to be familiar with unix commands to do this manual hack which has worked 100% for me. If you are not comfortable with this kind of stuff then there are quite a few free executables you can install on the phone. "anysim" is an executable that has worked 1 time for me. Beware if the hack fails you will have to restore the phone to factory with iTunes. Not a big deal but make sure to backup your contacts and such.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
No its all software now. If you google "ibrickr" you will find quite a few tutorials on using ibrickr to interface with the phone. It would be wise to be familiar with unix commands to do this manual hack which has worked 100% for me. If you are not comfortable with this kind of stuff then there are quite a few free executables you can install on the phone. "anysim" is an executable that has worked 1 time for me. Beware if the hack fails you will have to restore the phone to factory with iTunes. Not a big deal but make sure to backup your contacts and such.
Thanks for the reply, sounds good. I currently have a sidekick 3 but it has been dropped many times. Usually falls out of my pocket when I am doing hack squats(DOH!) None the less it crashed on me the other day and now I am in need of a new phone Just don't want to buy an Iphone and chance ruining it trying to unlock it. However I will check out the Ibrickr, if I can't figure it out I know a few people that should be able to. :thumbsup:

Arrogant

Arrogant

Awards
$399 for a device that goes online, checks email, plays music, movies, video games and runs other custom software all on an innovative touch screen is well worth it. Its worth it if you arent stuck on ATT at least.
However, it's biggest flaw is it's inability to use the Microsoft Exchange Server - and as a result, power users like myself will stick with the Blackberry 8800. I would have liked to have switched as we're already using AT&T, but it's not very useful in the business world.

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
I hear they are working on that exchange
server issue. Nice thing about iPhone is the os can just be updated. Although the iPhone is hardly designed for professional use. Its missing quite a few options that are standard for power users like copy and l
paste for one.

Arrogant

Arrogant

Awards
I hear they are working on that exchange
server issue. Nice thing about iPhone is the os can just be updated. Although the iPhone is hardly designed for professional use. Its missing quite a few options that are standard for power users like copy and l
paste for one.
No copy and paste either??

I'd think that Apple would want to embrace the professional world because they can more easily absorb the costs associated with the phone. After the initial hype dies down, they'll need to stay one step ahead of the game in order to keep the average consumer interested at that high of a price point.

I wanted it for the wifi and true internet - not to mention it doesn't hate HTML in emails the way Blackberries do.

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
I suspect apple released a general multimedia phone to absorb the cost up front and will make it more specific to user needs based on releases. Its hard to imagine that they are making a huge profit on the iPhone considering the cost compared to an unsubed blackberry. There are a ton of apps being written by private parties that are making the iPhone more professional based . Problem is you have to use 3rd party software to get apps on the phone. Its still early for this phone, knowing apple they will be competitive soon enough.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
The number one thing keeping me from buying an IPhone is the inability to instant msg via, AIM, or MSN...I don't need the phone for business but as of now I'm sure I'll end up getting the new sidekick to replace this old one.

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
New update. iPhone firmware 1.1.1 will brick your unlocked iPhone. Apparently apple is quite irritated with the people moding iPhones. Who to blame them, you can't guarantee a quality product if everyones got their dirty hands into the mix. I wish apple hadn't signed that contract with AT&T for 5 years. Either that or if AT&Ts service in Tempe AZ didn't suck.

Anyway I could care less about the firmware update, I don't need wifi iTunes anyhow. I will just keep my firmware at the current state till the iPhone DEV Team can hack it up and distribute it out to us "Free Iphone" users. ( by free I mean I am not locked into a contract with AT&T ) .

Again do not update firmware to 1.1.1 if you wish to be able to use your phone for more than a paper weight!

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
New update. iPhone firmware 1.1.1 will brick your unlocked iPhone. Apparently apple is quite irritated with the people moding iPhones. Who to blame them, you can't guarantee a quality product if everyones got their dirty hands into the mix. I wish apple hadn't signed that contract with AT&T for 5 years. Either that or if AT&Ts service in Tempe AZ didn't suck.

Anyway I could care less about the firmware update, I don't need wifi iTunes anyhow. I will just keep my firmware at the current state till the iPhone DEV Team can hack it up and distribute it out to us "Free Iphone" users. ( by free I mean I am not locked into a contract with AT&T ) .

Again do not update firmware to 1.1.1 if you wish to be able to use your phone for more than a paper weight!
That's weak because I was really considering buy an Iphone soon. My contract with Tmobile is up in Feb so I'm still torn. However I did reserve a new Sidekick LX(free reservation) to replace my SK3 so I have a month roughly to decide, arrrrgh! :aargh:

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
At this point I recommend waiting till the last minute to decide. Its too soon to tell whats going to happen. Apple would be wise to make an iphone2 or something that gets them away from at&t. This is going to get ugly before I'd gets better.

On the good side though if your waiting till January anyhow, I believe the rumor is a 16gb iPhone with full 3g capabilities. I bet they have microshaft exchange working on that one also!

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
At this point I recommend waiting till the last minute to decide. Its too soon to tell whats going to happen. Apple would be wise to make an iphone2 or something that gets them away from at&t. This is going to get ugly before I'd gets better.

On the good side though if your waiting till January anyhow, I believe the rumor is a 16gb iPhone with full 3g capabilities. I bet they have microshaft exchange working on that one also!
Yeah, not sure how ATT service is out in my area as I have always had TMobile, the only thing that keeps me on the fence is no instant messaging. Sounds like I'll wait till 08 unless my current phone dies out completely and I just have to get a new phone.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The number one thing keeping me from buying an IPhone is the inability to instant msg via, AIM, or MSN...I don't need the phone for business but as of now I'm sure I'll end up getting the new sidekick to replace this old one.
If you hack the Iphone by downloading AppTappInstaller, you can install a chat client that lets you connect to your msn and AIM accounts and chat using the iphone as well... I have it running on mine right now.

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
yep magikk is right. There is a couple of chat clients now, I believe the most popular is iChat or something like that.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
iChat is an Apple application, it's on all Mac computers and you can use it with this chat client as well. The one I have is Apollo IM, and you can connect to msn, aim, icq, and .mac to use iChat...

I also have an NES emulator on it, ebook reader, navigation system, todo lists, voice notes, and a few games that aren't on the iphone by default. But the default stuff that it comes with is pretty cool, like youtube, the weather, and the way the photos and music are organized. The calendar is pretty sweet too imo

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
updating to 1.1.1 also prevents your itunes from putting back the factory defaults.

i hope some of you guys have a backup plan. just read that apple's spokeswoman said "if your phone doesnt work after the update, go buy a new iphone". dirty before it gets better indeed.

i hope hackers find a way to stick it to em'. they always do.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My backup plan is not updating to 1.1.1 =)

And if something happens and I need to update, well then I guess I'll restore to factory defaults

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
updating to 1.1.1 also prevents your itunes from putting back the factory defaults.

i hope some of you guys have a backup plan. just read that apple's spokeswoman said "if your phone doesnt work after the update, go buy a new iphone". dirty before it gets better indeed.

i hope hackers find a way to stick it to em'. they always do.
That sucks because I plan on just canceling my TMobile account if I get the Iphone but I've had my SK3 and love it for the im abbilities would hate to get screwed over for hacking it tho haha.