What causes ulcers

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
OK i have never had an ulcer in my entire life. About 3-4 days ago the inside of my lower lip started to hurt like crazy. I looked and saw this white patch near the bottom of my lip near the point where it meets my gums. Of course being the hypocondriac that i am i looked up mouth cancer and now have myself freaked out. Has anyone else ever had any ulcers on their lip and how long does it take for them to leave, also is there anyway to heal them faster.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OK i have never had an ulcer in my entire life. About 3-4 days ago the inside of my lower lip started to hurt like crazy. I looked and saw this white patch near the bottom of my lip near the point where it meets my gums. Of course being the hypocondriac that i am i looked up mouth cancer and now have myself freaked out. Has anyone else ever had any ulcers on their lip and how long does it take for them to leave, also is there anyway to heal them faster.
While i'm not there to actually see it, it sounds like you may have a canker sore based on your description which pretty much describes one(white painful base with surrounding errythema). If that is the case they usually resolve themselves within a week. There are some topical anesthetics you can buy over the counter to help with the pain. The cause of canker sores is still very debateable....i've read everything from hereditary, viral, mouth trauma(biting your lip or tongue), to food allergies.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the reply.. So these are common and hopefully nothing serious?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You sure it's not The Herp?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You sure it's not The Herp?
Based on what he's describing it sounds like a canker sore, but without actually seeing it this is my best guess based on his description. They most commonly are found in and around the gum line. Oral herpes tend to present for on the outer lips and more in cluster formation.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
LOL no i dont think its the herpe, ive seen cold sores and this thing is alittle smaller than the eraser of a pencil and is pure white. Very painful though and pissing me off

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
LOL no i dont think its the herpe, ive seen cold sores and this thing is alittle smaller than the eraser of a pencil and is pure white. Very painful though and pissing me off
I was just kidding about the Herp.

Trauma pretty much nailed it...I get those all the time. As much as they hurt, should go away quickly.

Grab some anbesol to alleviate the pain.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Try adding some zinc.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
ah good ol cold sores...don't kiss anyone, you may pass it along
what sux is getting cold sores outside the mouth

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I thought oral herpes can present either inside or outside the mouth. I get them a few times per year always on the inside..fortunately...and they seem to respond to lysine treatment.

Either way, not a serious condition but contagious.

tattoopierced1

put salt on it... it hurts at first, but it makes a sort of "seal" over it and doesnt hurt for a while...

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
put salt on it... it hurts at first, but it makes a sort of "seal" over it and doesnt hurt for a while...
I pierce the surface, then douse with alcohol 3x a day.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Swishing with 3-4 drops of Lugol's solution in water will achieve the same effect and it doesn't hurt.

ahsbaseball08

ahsbaseball08

Awards
ruff it out. :rant:

if i have the out side my mouth, i take a shower and let the skin/scab soften up... then i peel it off, and add either alchohal( burns ), salt, or mouth wash.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
I thought oral herpes can present either inside or outside the mouth. I get them a few times per year always on the inside..fortunately...and they seem to respond to lysine treatment.

Either way, not a serious condition but contagious.
herpetic lesions suck huh :( . you most definitely can get herpes inside the mouth, they usually occur in clusters and they are red with no yellow/white halo around them. it sounds like a canker sore/apthous ucler though.

the tissues in your mouth have a turnover rate of 7-14 days usually.

tx: rincinol, you can get the product at the grocery store.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
Hey thanks for the replies i had a dentist check up yesterday and he told me it was definatly an ulcer. He said to lay of acidic foods for alittle and prescribed me something called magic mouthwash. I tried the stuff yesterday and my lip felt like the dentist gave me a shot of novacaine.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Hey thanks for the replies i had a dentist check up yesterday and he told me it was definatly an ulcer. He said to lay of acidic foods for alittle and prescribed me something called magic mouthwash. I tried the stuff yesterday and my lip felt like the dentist gave me a shot of novacaine.
nystatin, is what they typically prescribe in hospitals for mouth infections.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
My ulcerations always have a white/yellow central area ringed with angry red cheek tissue. Usually show up in 2's or 3's on the inner cheek surface or gums.

So you're saying these aren't necessarily herpes? Hmm, thought that was the case since I was a little kid. Might need to tailor my treatment of them a little differently.