'American Gladiators' Coming Back

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
'American Gladiators' Coming Back

NPR: 'American Gladiators' Coming Back

American Gladiators, that really great over-the-top show from the '90s, is back!

Yes, the one with the joust, the monkey bars, the obstacle courses. I don't know if the really tight men's shorts will be back, but I know the big hair is gone on the women. I wonder if the names will be the same: Thunder, Gemini, Blaze, Nitro ... and my all-time favorite, Zap. (Why couldn't my parents have named me Zap?)

NPR's Robert Smith, who gets many cool assignments, was in Los Angeles this weekend for the auditions of the new American Gladiators show. He asked contestants why they wanted to audition and even what names they would choose for themselves: Iron Hands (because he'll smash things up), Mercury (because she's on fire), Ferret (not going to work, as Robert noted) and Christy Crash (her roller derby name — sign her up!).

The new show is due out sometime "midseason," according to a report last month in Variety. It will be modeled more closely after the British version of Gladiators, which focused on the "back story" of the amateur competitors who took on the gladiators each week.

All I can say is: Go, Zap!

Well, I'm excited...

dirtydeweyjr

Awards
i dont know why more people are not excited about this?
American Gladiators was one of if not THE favorite show as a kid.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Holy sh*t, thanks for letting us know, this is great.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
dude that show rocked!!!! saturday mornings use to be the shizzy back then!!!!:head:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
this is great news! when should we be looking for this?

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
pp. im not sure what they mean by midseason, but im guessing like novemberish?

Minnesota

Minnesota

Awards
nice!!! hopefully they can get someone like Brock Lesnar to crack some skulls...

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
tyson would be the ultimate american gladiator...

...brock would be the sh*t too...but he just signed a ufc contract so thats not happening.

CNizz

CNizz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
cant wait for this, I loved AG as a kid too, where do we sign up to compete? :D

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
he just signed a ufc contract so thats not happening.
Is that official, PI? I have only heard rumors.

CNizz, if it's anything like the old show, you better be under 180 if you want on the show. :lol:

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
I can't wait! I still get sucked into the re-runs. What network is this going to be on?

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Is that official, PI? I have only heard rumors.

CNizz, if it's anything like the old show, you better be under 180 if you want on the show. :lol:

i grabbed this from another board:

Source: PWInsider.com

- Former WWE Champion Brock Lesnar is said to be finalizing his deal with UFC. UFC President Dana White has been saying for several weeks now that the deal is all but done and he expects Lesnar to be fighting in the organization by next year.

...so youre right, its not official yet.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
I remember thinking that Lace was so hot. Actually both versions of Lace were hot. They were the only female looking females on the show. Unfortunately she usually got her ass kicked by the competitors b/c she looked about 120lbs but she was my favorite.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is top ten best news I've heard this year. My freshman year of college we'd sometimes miss class watching american gladiator. So i guess i kinda paid a few hundred dollars to watch it, and it was worth every penny.

How many of you guys had American Gladiator lunch boxes? I sure as hell did

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
when i used to watch it i was too young to be a competitor...

...i was always mad that it got cancelled before I was old enough...

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I remember thinking that Lace was so hot. Actually both versions of Lace were hot. They were the only female looking females on the show. Unfortunately she usually got her ass kicked by the competitors b/c she looked about 120lbs but she was my favorite.
I used to think the original Lace was super hot back then. You're right, she was the most feminine looking one. Hopefully it does come back on. Loved the Assault.