Sick of my career, what should I become...

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Seriously, I have a B.S. in Economics. I am currently working as a business analyst for a large IT company. I do not like it or my career choice. I am basically just brainstorming right now, but I want to do something that interests me that I wouldnt need another 4-8 years of school for.

So what does everyone else do? And do you like it?

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Professional poker player. Economics is an excellent degree to have in conjunction with it; you'll be able to use your earnings for smart investments, and you have the statistics background as well.

There are a couple very young and very successful players with economics degrees. Vanessa Rousso for example.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nursing.......flexible schedule, good money, and make good connections with people in high places. You can get your ADN in nursing in 2 years if you have the correct pre-req's to enter the program. You can make a killing right now money wise. I find it a great fit for my lifestyle as it's very easy to schedule your job around your life....now how many jobs can you do that?:D

Last edited:
Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
Im in manufacturing and fabrication. I am currently in the process of moving up from the 'son of the boss' to the owner over the next 5 years or so.

Never been to school for it, so I"m not certified for ****. I've been around it since my parents started it when I was 5 back in '79, so I've learned alot basically for free.

I wouldn't recommend going into this field necessarily. I would only recommend it if you were going to become an engineer. Thats because my experience has been great engineers have been previous machinists. I've dealt with plenty of engineers that 'just know' how to do stuff, and I end up re-engineering **** so its not 'just right, like the book says' but rather 'right, as in this fscking thing will work'.

The bad part is, schooling doesn't teach you what you need to know. Only experience will. Starting wages suck ass unless you own the place. Topped out wages aren't much more than what a police officer makes, and around here that isn't much either.

Engineers in my area can make between $40k and $70k per year. The higher earning engineers make more because they know how to set up and program a machine, as well as engineer the parts that they are going to make, hence the suggested machining experience.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
well honestly i teach, preschool special ed...love my kids there all so cute, but i also have things to fall back on, I have my CDL, (have driven limos), and I also bartend, always nice to have that option.......Although now i am going back to school for nursing.......LOL

So what interests you???

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Wow thanks for all the responses. I will definitely look into these. I am not entirely sure what interests me at this point. Since I graduated with my undergrad degree I have only been working for the same company and havent really had the chance to branch out. Nursing sounds interesting as I do have some interest in medical related fields.

FWIW, I do have a lot of experience sports handicapping (where my stats knowledge comes in handy). I thought about quitting and becoming a full time capper/tout but to be honest that doesnt even seem to interest me, plus its not a very respected industry/whatev.

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Im in the same boat as you travis. I've decided to drop my major because its no longer what I want. I don't have a damn clue. I think I am actually going to get into nursing or health/fitness. I can definitely see myself happy doing that than being an engineer. Damn engineering schools.
Yep, figured I would try to find something I actually like before I get tied down with wife/kid/etc. I like the health/fitness stuff too (as I'm sure many do here), but the science seems even more interesting to me (endo specifically), but some of that stuff would pry put me in school for another 4+ years again. Just dont feel like being a poor college student again now that Im accustomed to this lifestyle.

At least you havent finished your major yet. :sad:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm a something in the financial software industry, I think my title is assistant to the CIO or product development manager or something like that.

Getting involved in the finance industry can be rewarding + lucrative. If the money is a little easier to loose for life quality, working for credit unions is great. their internal cultures are hard to beat as far as truly caring for their staff. Great flexibility, great benefits. Since they are non profits, they are driven more by relationships + people than by profits + stockholders

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll tell you travis that my heart is with the fitness industry, however with being a nurse I have many options and opportunities at every turn. i'm planning on doing my 3-12hours shifts a week in nursing, and then supplementing my income with personal training on my off time during the week. That way i have my job security and my true passion all in one.:thumbsup:

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
nursing is a great profession. it was my third career choice (if i couldn't for some reason get into the dental hygiene field)

my career choices:
1. dental hygienist (i dont recommend it for men bc its much harder for them to find work)
2. pharmacist or PA (toss up)
3. RN

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depends on a lot of things but in most cases, yes.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
It's sometimes hard to figure out what we want in life. I wanted to be a lawyer when I was in high school because I heard I could make piles of money. I always liked teaching others and I love sports and fitness so I decided to teach and coach high school football and I have no regrets.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
cops - pretty nice idea
teacher - lots of time off!

it depends on what you want or need out of life, what you enjoy doing, etc...

my dad (a dentist/orthodontist) has always told me that , "a job is a job, everything you do for a living one day will eventually just be a job". sad, but i think its true for most people. most people truly want to do something else but its simply not going to "cut it", such as being an artist, professional sports, model, actor, graphic designer, interior designer, food critic, movie critic. yes as always, some people will make amazing money doing what they LOVE but most people just settle.

so for me, it comes down to having a lot of time to myself (no weekends or late weeknights) and good pay, so as long as i like my job enough, that is fine with me. if you were to ask me what my dream job would be, i'd like to sit at home and do charcoal drawings or teach elementary school autistic children, both of which would leave me the choice of top ramen or canned beans for dinner choices do to such poor wages. i'd be miserable.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
cops - pretty nice idea

my dad (a dentist/orthodontist) has always told me that , "a job is a job, everything you do for a living one day will eventually just be a job". sad, but i think its true for most people. most people truly want to do something else but its simply not going to "cut it", such as being an artist, professional sports, model, actor, graphic designer, interior designer, food critic, movie critic. yes as always, some people will make amazing money doing what they LOVE but most people just settle.

so for me, it comes down to having a lot of time to myself (no weekends or late weeknights) and good pay, so as long as i like my job enough, that is fine with me. if you were to ask me what my dream job would be, i'd like to sit at home and do charcoal drawings or teach elementary school autistic children, both of which would leave me the choice of top ramen or canned beans for dinner choices do to such poor wages. i'd be miserable.
A job will always be a job, no doubt about it. The big difference is will it be a miserable job, or an enjoyable one.

Take a look at your personality, how you interact with other people, your hobbies(or lack thereof), and everything in your life that you feel "defines" you in some way. Like IW stated, sometimes it doesn't come down to what you want in life, but what you are.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
A job will always be a job, no doubt about it. The big difference is will it be a miserable job, or an enjoyable one.

Take a look at your personality, how you interact with other people, your hobbies(or lack thereof), and everything in your life that you feel "defines" you in some way. Like IW stated, sometimes it doesn't come down to what you want in life, but what you are.
:goodpost: nicely put :)

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
if you need time away from family and enjoy sand and hot weather i would recommend the military.... NOT!!!

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
cops - pretty nice idea

I can't agree with this one bit. If you only work a job for the money you will always be poor no matter how much money you make.

In life you will put more hours at your 'job' than anything else except sleeping if you don't enjoy it that makes for a long life, and not in a good way IMO.

CROWLER

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
Contractor over in Iraq :)
thats a great job, especialy if you can pick where in iraq... say lsa anaconda which has a movie theatre and a huge huge gym! get paid 120,000 tax free for the year and be able to leave at anytime... thats cake

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depends on what you hold most important and how you're able to spend your free time to make up for any unhappiness caused by the job.

Beige

Awards
  • Established
aviation safety. i chose this because i needed something with good bene's (kid), good pay/taxes (gov job), and i could feel good about.

six months ago i was bringing my son and his mother to myrtle beach. at the airport i kept thinking about all of the bombings and terrorist attacks, and i could see the apprehension in some peoples eyes. i wanted to help make this a safer more comfortable experience (like it should be). so recently i set up an aptitude test to decide what specific jobs/pay scales i'd be eligable for. it ranges from 12 to 48 bucks an hour starting, and the test is very similar to the ASVAB (which i got a 99 on two years ago).

my true love will always be the nutrition field; but i have a son (who didn't ask to be here), and i can't support him if i'm in school right now.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
I can't agree with this one bit. If you only work a job for the money you will always be poor no matter how much money you make.

In life you will put more hours at your 'job' than anything else except sleeping if you don't enjoy it that makes for a long life, and not in a good way IMO.

CROWLER
i must say the same to you. i can definitely see your point though.

to me, even though you will spend a good majority of your life at the "job" the most important part of my life is my home life. so even though my home life is a small fraction compared to my work life, it has more value. so, the sacrifice is well worth it.

i work a mediocre paying job:
Pros:
-i love every minute of my job

Cons:
-too many hours, therefore less time for the family(possibly)
-quality of life at home slightly lacks
-no great family vacations, getaways (best memories i have of my family and fiance)
-medical and dental care is possibly not high on the scale of priorities
-food choices are limited (i love eating)
-stress about finances
-can't live where you want to live
-less money to put into retirement

great paying job but i dont LOVE it, simply like:
pros:
-more time with the family
-can afford numerous family getaways and vacations
-health and dental care is easily affordable
-less financial stress
-can eat what you want when you want it
-live where you want
-can enjoy your golden years with your spouse better

cons:
-dont LOVE the job
-can't wait to get home

like jayhawk says though, its about how you prioritize your life and what is important to you. to some it truly is about loving your job and others its more about having a great home life. few lucky people get the best of both worlds.

Beige

Awards
  • Established
Very good point, you're making the right choice. Many parents don't even care about their kids. You got your priorities straight man.
thanks bro. IMO that's humanities greatest and most important task; propigating a new generation of family and contributors to the world. i watched the history channel all day today about the Hamburg Cell (alcaida), and it just made me want the job so much more. let one of these dirtbags try some terorism on my watch! it'll look like a Stephen Segal flick.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
What is the average salary of a registered nurse (RN)?

AM07

Awards
  • Established
This depends on the person. I'm sure more than 50% pursue professional degrees for the sheer fact that you typically make six figures when coming out of school. Sure, for the first few years, you have to put in a LOT of time (especially if you're working for a huge firm or in residency), but after a few years, you get to make your own hours and make BANK.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
i must say the same to you. i can definitely see your point though.

to me, even though you will spend a good majority of your life at the "job" the most important part of my life is my home life. so even though my home life is a small fraction compared to my work life, it has more value. so, the sacrifice is well worth it.

i work a mediocre paying job:
Pros:
-i love every minute of my job

Cons:
-too many hours, therefore less time for the family(possibly)
-quality of life at home slightly lacks
-no great family vacations, getaways (best memories i have of my family and fiance)
-medical and dental care is possibly not high on the scale of priorities
-food choices are limited (i love eating)
-stress about finances
-can't live where you want to live
-less money to put into retirement

great paying job but i dont LOVE it, simply like:
pros:
-more time with the family
-can afford numerous family getaways and vacations
-health and dental care is easily affordable
-less financial stress
-can eat what you want when you want it
-live where you want
-can enjoy your golden years with your spouse better

cons:
-dont LOVE the job
-can't wait to get home

like jayhawk says though, its about how you prioritize your life and what is important to you. to some it truly is about loving your job and others its more about having a great home life. few lucky people get the best of both worlds.

Why can't you have a great paying job you love?

CROWLER

Jet

Awards
  • Established
What is the average salary of a registered nurse (RN)?
I keep hearing around $50K/yr starting, but with the huge demand, as high as $75K/yr with signing bonuses.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :ntome:

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I keep hearing around $50K/yr starting, but with the huge demand, as high as $75K/yr with signing bonuses.

Some make even more in certain regions.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Depends where you work honestly. Right now in nursing you can make a killing with overtime and sign on bonuses....I could easily pull in 100k/yr if i wanted to.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've seen emergency room RN wages near $50/hr, and overtime on top. its a hard life tho

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've seen emergency room RN wages near $50/hr, and overtime on top. its a hard life tho
Yeah you're right on Easy.......it's great money sometimes, but the overwhelming stress can and will eventually burn you out. You can only take so much before you crack. When that does happen to me i'll happily transfer to the Cath Lab.....nice job, plus you get to go to all the cardiologist functions and they throw down a nice chunk of change to have a good time. :djparty:

Jet

Awards
  • Established
Depends where you work honestly. Right now in nursing you can make a killing with overtime and sign on bonuses....I could easily pull in 100k/yr if i wanted to.
How do you like the day to day work? I'm in college and debating between entering the nursing program at my university, or attending either a Physical Therapy program or Physicians Assistant program after I graduate.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How do you like the day to day work? I'm in college and debating between entering the nursing program at my university, or attending either a Physical Therapy program or Physicians Assistant program after I graduate.
I like my job for many reasons. I work 3-12 hour shifts a week. Yes 12 hours can be a long day.....especially when the sh*t hits the fan in the E.R., but i love the 4 days off a week. Plus our schedule is pretty flexible b/c we do self scheduling. It's a tough choice when choosing what direction you want to go in medicine.

My feelings after years in my profession are this. I wanted to become a doctor, but i missed my chance when it was there. I've thought about going back to school for Physicians Assistant/Nurse Practitioner, but the reality is that i can make more that alot of them with some overtime and bonuses while having half the responsibility. I work with quite a few P.A.'s/N.P'S and they can't believe how i can make more money then they do even though they are practitioner's and i'm not.....it's true believe me.

So in short my job is very intellectually stimulating on a daily basis and the pay is pretty good. However, even though i have less responsibility in general than the practitoners, i still have to make decisions daily that may influence life or death outcomes.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
Why can't you have a great paying job you love?

CROWLER
i would love to be a personal financial manager but i'm alittle young for people to take me seriously, and i dont feel like being poor for 10 years until im old enough. i will do that once kwyck gets out of school.

charcoal artist- lol that is just unrealistic

special education teacher for 1st through 5th - again, not much money

most people aren't fortunate enough to love their job. i definitely like my job but i'd rather sit at home and draw pictures.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
i still have to make decisions daily that may influence life or death outcomes.
that's why i chose to not go into that field. i wanted a stress free job. clock in, clock out...

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thats the main reason i hated being a combat medic.
Yes, it's the one factor that makes the job unbelievably stressful. I'm confident in the decisions that i make on a daily basis even though sometimes they are tough to make. I know that sometimes we make the wrong decisions and someones life may lie in jeopardy as a result. I've made a few mistakes and had to deal with them, but as with anything in life....live and learn, and i've become a better nurse as a result. It's strange to say but you almost have to become desensitized to death in order to do your job effectively. Now don't get me wrong as i'm a very compassionate person by nature, but if you get overinvolved it WILL impair your ability to perform imho.

Last edited:
Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just curious, but what happened if you don't mind telling us?
Basically I chose my stupid friends and partying over focusing on becoming a doctor. However at that time i wasn't even really sure that was what i wanted to do anyway. I had good enough grades(3.5/gpa) and did pretty good on the mcat(26). I just made a typical foolish mistake when i was younger and didn't apply myself when i needed too. But in hindsight, i feel that i made the right choice because i met my wife who is everything to me.....so in short i believe in fate, and i'm living mine. ;)

TravisCoSheriff

Awards
Cop isn't so bad :)
X2

practice with these :donut:

Bad hours, no holidays, not gonna be a gazillionare doing it but its fun, rewarding, learn alot about yourself, get to fu*kin shoot ****. Sorry the last one slipped in me luvs my gunz.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
So did you decide? Just wondering.......

TC

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Trauma almost convinced my directionless @ss to consider nursing... Love the idea of actually having an interesting job, job security and time off

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So did you decide? Just wondering.......

TC
I'm still looking into some of these suggestions. I may be relocating and actually have a few interviews in another city so we will see. I'll keep this updated though, and appreciate all the responses and info.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trauma almost convinced my directionless @ss to consider nursing... Love the idea of actually having an interesting job, job security and time off
:thumbsup: Initially i needed some convincing myself, but when i look back it was the best decision i could have made.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
:thumbsup: Initially i needed some convincing myself, but when i look back it was the best decision i could have made.
Man for having a go red sox thing in your sig and you help here, you are the man haha.

I realize that no job will ever be a true passion for me. My passions in like lie in having financial security. Anything that provides me with solid income and job security regarless of the ecconomy will be a good fit for my drive and my passions which are definetly not amassing massive amounts of possesions. Nursing might be a challenge to get use to dealing with your own mortality and the blood and guts parts of the job but I am sure that gets normal over time while in school.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Relatively quick education + good money = RN. Male RN's are worth their weight in gold to most hospitals, and you've always got the option to go further and specialize and make even more money. In addition, there is always a place in medicine for almost everyone where they will feel that their work is rewarding. (Don't think every aspect of medicine will be rewarding to you though; its definitely individualistic from my experience with health professionals.)

Physicians Assistant is a good idea, too, BUT to really be a universally well-paid PA and universally hirable you'd probaby spend 6yrs in school, maybe less depending on what units you've already knocked out in your previous education.

The two years of pre-reps + PA certificate, like is offered in CA, isn't always a good option!

Looking for lucrative w/ no life, you can always look into Investment Banking. But, I'm getting the sense you don't want your job to own you.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Well I am probably one of the older if not the oldest on this thread and just want to say something to the younger people here.

If you think you will never have a career which you are passionate about and make a good income then you will not have your radar on looking for the right opportunity. It will turn into a self fulfilling prophecy for you. I strongly urge everyone to NOT settle for a job and to be looking for what you truly love to do and still are able to make a very nice living.

I am on my 3rd career and have loved each one. The thought of retiring is as repulsive as the thought of giving up triathlons, never traveling again etc. I hope to be working well into my 90s and if I keel over while working all the better. But this doesn't mean I don't take out PLENTY of time to be with my wife, son, grandson and soon to be my granddaughter. I will say that it is easier to make more money and REALLY love your career if you own your own business BUT it can still be done with a job.

For me I could never work for anyone again. Some people are the opposite and never could see themselves owning their own business.

You CAN have it all and I encourage everyone NOT to settle for one of the other. :)

CROWLER