New 'Halloween' movie review

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I saw the new movie 'Halloween' last Sun. I have watched just about all the Halloween movie sequels that come out, of course H2O (play off of water's chemical structure) being the very worst.

I expected more from the movie, esp. since rob zombie was the director and not John Carpenter(director for all the other editions) this time. The movie lay out is virtually the same as all the other versions that came out. Every time you 'think' there will be someone attacked/killed it happens. There really is no surprises or twists that I'd find really worth nothing....in fact I don't think there were any actually.

The new Halloween is like a reformulation of Michael Myer's childhood as a young boy right up to when he is an adult. There are some 'slight' inconsistancies with the new version compared to the older story line. One of these that I mention is Dr. Samuel Loomis, his psychiatrist.

RATING: 2/10. New version so I had to see it b/c I'm into scary movies. There's nothing special to it, just riding the same story line for a little extra cash to be made off this never-ending continuing saga. Save your money, it is definitely not worth going to the theatre to watch.

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
I agree.

Halloween is probably one of my favorite horror movies, and remaking it was pointless.
This "new" version pretty much followed the original (besides the Michael Myers backstory) except with different actors.
The only good part was maybe that the Michael Myers Mask looked a little scarier (it seemed like the facial featues were more "defined.")
But other than that, wait for video...

And why are they remaking "Revenge of the Nerds?!!"
That's a classic!

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I actually liked it. It had a lot of Zombiesque features to the flick that the original lacked. Good hand held, gritty texture scenes that really made if feel like a nauseating/horrified point of veiw, fast cuts in the kill scenes that focused primarily on the violence, and not to mention the all to common zombie trait "everything is just madness" feel he lent to the very end of the feature.

I thought it was on par with the first, with the added bonus of an origin story and a script that focused on the sole reason why everyone has seen the other flicks(minus the third)... Micheal Myers.

FYI Carpenter only directed the first Halloween.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I actually liked it. It had a lot of Zombiesque features to the flick that the original lacked. Good hand held, gritty texture scenes that really made if feel like a nauseating/horrified point of veiw, fast cuts in the kill scenes that focused primarily on the violence, and not to mention the all to common zombie trait "everything is just madness" feel he lent to the very end of the feature.

I thought it was on par with the first, with the added bonus of an origin story and a script that focused on the sole reason why everyone has seen the other flicks(minus the third)... Micheal Myers.

FYI Carpenter only directed the first Halloween.
pwned

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I'm all kinds of excited to see this movie. Halloween has always been my favorite horror flick franchise.

...I'm gonna have time either tonight or tomorrow, I'll let you know how right or wrong you guys are.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I like Devil's Rejects which I saw for the first time last year. Halloween didn't cut it, probably because they should have stopped the saga a while ago I think. I felt the same way about Freddy vs. Jason......same b.s. it didn't work.

Offical new movie list to watch:
-Saw 4
-One Last Call (this is probably going to be the most freaky out of them all)
-Resident Evil
-The Mist by Stephen King

write these movies titles down.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now Freddy vs Jason I liked too. Probably the best out of both series IMO... As a kid I spent numerous hours discussing the outcome of such a meeting with tons of my buddies, and to finally see it come to light on the screen was pretty gratifying. I think a lot of the basis for these movies to be a success nowadays comes from a certain nostalgia factor.

Now for the list... talking about ending a saga, SAW 4 ranks right up there. Who knows though, maybe their trying to take Jigsaw and turn him into another Voorhees, Kruger, or Myers. We'll see when the flick comes out. The Mist looks like a decent low budget horror flick, but after the FOG remake that came out last year I doubt it'll be anything truly new. RE3, even though it's totally lost the core of the video game story I'm always in for a good zombie monster movie.

By the way if you like Devil's Rejects, check out House of 1000 Corpses.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Saw 3 was pretty stupid, I'll admit that. I don't expect much from Saw 4, but the genre is entertaining. specifically the tricks/traps deal.....kinda reminds me of Se7en.

I've also seen house of 1000 corpses. I didn't like that one quite as much as Devil's Rejects. They were both decent but devil's rejects was a pretty good movie.

The reason why I think One Last Call will be good is b/c it is based off Japanese horror. Their style of movies actually have some fright into it, like The Grudge,The Ring, vs. American horror like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Freddy, Jason, yawn.......

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
i gotta dis-agree w/most of the reviews here, i thought is was decent...OK not mind-blowing WHOA but still a good remake. yes i wasn't a whole lot different but the Dr. Loomis being his Psych was cool, the entire childhood stuff was really good and because i like Zombie's first 2 flicks his repeat cast was good to see again, but aside from all that it was the graphic violence that was the best, for me anyway.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i was going to watch this on a date thursday, might have to see something else. Damn reaper! how about that kevin bacon flick, think its any good?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
The movie Death Sentence looks OK, but I just want to point out that Kevin Bacon isn't exactly know for his stellar acting.

Halloween is OK, but there really isn't any decent movies that I think are worth checking out right now. The new Jamie Foxx movie 'The Kingdom' looks like it would be better than Halloween or Death Sentence.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I watch '300' not too long ago and that movie was amazing. the cinematography which is similar to Sin City was excellent.

I didn't quite understand the whole movie plot, and there was excessive fantasy genre injected into it, but purely for entertainment I really enjoyed the movie.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I watch '300' not too long ago and that movie was amazing. the cinematography which is similar to Sin City was excellent.

I didn't quite understand the whole movie plot, and there was excessive fantasy genre injected into it, but purely for entertainment I really enjoyed the movie.
didnt understand the plot??? you mustve been mezmerized by all the half naked men....:blink:

im gonna go watch movie on thursday what movie would be better then 'OK' iyo Reaper?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
didnt understand the plot??? you mustve been mezmerized by all the half naked men....:blink:

im gonna go watch movie on thursday what movie would be better then 'OK' iyo Reaper?

At least from what I see is available in the theatre Halloween would be your best bet. Plus if your going with a chick, then the whole scary movie thing works out nicely. Like I said earlier, there's nothing too stellar right now. My girlfriend watched 'Balls of Fury' with her friends last week and she didn't like that either...I never saw it though.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think ill still go watch halloween cuz this chick is really scared of scary movies/gore.....I told her you guys said it wasnt that great but hey, im spontaneous so whatever. Ill come back and report

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
The entire film was shot on blue/green screen. The "cinematography" was mainly CGI.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I did see it last night and I was a little disappointed. The visuals were great, but the story line really lacked. The loomis part definitely threw me off as well. But I would've like to see that 15 years the skipped of treatment that made him "give up and have to move on"

...and it wasn't as gory as I expected, either...lots of boobage though.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
boobage! great! :thumbsup: im all for that. i like the word too

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
PI since youre probably a ladies man what movie would you recommend?

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I went and saw this with a "friend" and she definitely jumped and got as close as humanly possible numerous times...

...it's a good date movie, IMO.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Movie substance just lacked though. I told you it wasn't worth the $$$.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Reaper, it was one of those movies that I had to see for myself...the effects and cinematography were amazing though.

...the script wasn't bad, the plot just wasn't what I was hoping for.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I went and saw this with a "friend" and she definitely jumped and got as close as humanly possible numerous times...

...it's a good date movie, IMO.
It's defenitly a good movie to see if you have a lady friend going with you.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
:thumbsup: for me then lol....plus the boobage? could be a double hitter lol.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
but like with all horror movies, once you show some skin you are next in line to die...with winds up with some bloody boobage.

dirtydeweyjr

Awards
i watched House of 1000 Corpses and THEN Devil's Rejects. this chick i was talkin to loves anything directed by Rob Zombie, and i wanted to get prepared before seeing Halloween.

1000 corpses wasnt that good at all, Captain Spaulding couldn't have been more annoying.
but Devil's Rejects was great, clear cut, on the run type action

good times, definitely still going to see Halloween

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah i like rob zombie films but i generally like really really weird bizarre kinda stuff. kinda sick like that.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yeah i like rob zombie films but i generally like really really weird bizarre kinda stuff. kinda sick like that.

Definitely with you on that one. I've seen tons of horror flicks - American, Japanese, B-rated, C-rated, etc.. Though I was never scared during the original Halloweens (those that I saw), I'm not even going to bother with this one. Based on your reviews here, it just confirms that it truly is another remake. As for Rob's other flicks, I liked them both - each for their individual styles, eventhough they didn't quite mesh up as original and sequel. I've always been a Zombie fan, but since his new album came out, I think the man's sold out his music fans. Hopefully he'll come back with something better in his next flick.

Did anyone see 1408? No gore, no blood per se, but psychological as all hell. I totally enjoyed 1408 and would recommend checking it out. It just had a certain 'something' that creeped me way out. But, it's one of those "you get it or you don't" movies. For me, it's one to add to my collection.

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
...lots of boobage though.
You guys did recognize the friend didn't you?
(the one with the short-ish black hair)
She was the little girl from Halloween 4 (and/or 5).

And now she's all grown up!

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
1408 was actually a good one. It doesn't hurt that Cusak is the man.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1408 was actually a good one. It doesn't hurt that Cusak is the man.
Not necessarily a Cusak fan, but he did an outstanding job for being the only person on-screen for the vast majority of the movie.

Though, at one point during the Sam Jackson scenes, I turned to my wife and said "If he doesn't say f*** atleast once, I'm walking out of here." And just then, I wasn't disappointed! "It's an evil f***ing room." HA!!

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i thought that 1408 would be a good one, didnt see it tho.

Yeah i like original styling in music and house of a 1000 corpses definately had it.

Ive never been a halloween fan and honestly ive probably only seen one or two of them so if the plot is different i probably wont notice.
well its either this, superbad, or death sentence

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not necessarily a Cusak fan, but he did an outstanding job for being the only person on-screen for the vast majority of the movie.

Though, at one point during the Sam Jackson scenes, I turned to my wife and said "If he doesn't say f*** atleast once, I'm walking out of here." And just then, I wasn't disappointed! "It's an evil f***ing room." HA!!
good point he always says f*ck lol. i never noticed that til you mentioned it.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm thinking my next might be Balls of Fury. I'm in the mood for some schtick.

I wanted to see Skin Walkers, but that one kinda fell off the map. I dig the werewolf/vampire scene (like Underworld), but didn't even see anything on the release of this one or if it even still existed.

Luckily, I have a habit of winning movie tix from my local radio station. Gives me a reason to take the wife out without having to spend a ton o' money! :thumbsup:

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
TD, you see superbad yet?...if not, that movie is one of the funniest i've seen in a long time.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Piston-

Nah your best to just stick with watching Halloween for your movie. I mean the nudity in it essentially pays for half the ticket alone.....note...not all, just half.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
TD, you see superbad yet?...if not, that movie is one of the funniest i've seen in a long time.
Nope, not yet. Tie between that one and Balls of Fury. Whichever I don't see I'll put on my Netflix list!

And yes, nudity does usually pay for half the ticket! ;) Though, if it's good, it may be worth putting in another quarter!! :icon_lol:

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
The main character....Laurie Strode, you get to see both of her friends topless which is good, because I remember when I was watching it I was thinking to think about what they'd look like nude. Fortunately, the movie was very courteous as to actually show them nude.