Pondering moving off campus - costs

1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.66%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Pondering moving off campus - costs

I'm considering moving off campus into a single apartment, almost for one main reason - to control my diet. This year is very important for me to make dramatic progress in my training, and I can already tell that the dining hall will be restricting me so. You can make do there, but optimally it would be best off campus.

So the main thing that is holding me back is basically the cost. The actual apartments with full utilities costs a little less per month than staying on campus, but I really don't know how much it costs for a athlete to eat properly.

Currently, the dining hall charges me around $500 a month, which comes out to $125 a week. Approximately how much do you spend on food?

I would also like to note that I wouldn't skimp to save cash either. I eat plain foods, such as skinless/boneless chicken, lean hamburg, wheat pasta, rice, fresh vegetables, ect. Nothing fancy, but I would go for the top grade quality. Still, I can't see how it could possible run over $125 a week.

Opinions about the move or about the food are greatly appreciated.

2. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.6%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

well as for me....out of sight out of mind....its a hell of a lot easier to stay focused when your not around vices,and things that will throw you off........not shure about the cost thing though..
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.66%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    well as for me....out of sight out of mind....its a hell of a lot easier to stay focused when your not around vices,and things that will throw you off........not shure about the cost thing though..
    True that... well how much a week would you say you spend on food?
    •   

4. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.9%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    Around 80-100 bucks with chicken breast, oatmeal, spray, spices, wheat cereal/bread.

If the dining hall is charging $500bucks(which is absurd) a month, and rent is actually cheaper then move now. Your going to save money.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.93%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I spend about $50/wk on food, but I eat way more carbs than protein.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.6%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

i steal all my parents food!! it's cheaper!!
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.93%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I hated living on-campus because I would always get woken up by some ******* in my dorm making way too much noise in the middle of the night.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  8. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.61%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by prld2gr8ns View Post
    If the dining hall is charging $500bucks(which is absurd) a month, and rent is actually cheaper then move now. Your going to save money.

agreed. i didn't know that campus food got that expensive. im with you trip, mom's house food is a good deal (i'll only be her for 9 more months though, the count down has started)
  9. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.9%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I hated living on-campus because I would always get woken up by some ******* in my dorm making way too much noise in the middle of the night.
    Exactly why I moved off-campus after my 1st semester... to this day it's still one of the best investment of my life.

10. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.66%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Gimpy! View Post
    agreed. i didn't know that campus food got that expensive. im with you trip, mom's house food is a good deal (i'll only be her for 9 more months though, the count down has started)
    Yeah... might just be the school however - it allows unlimited swipes, so technically you could swipe just to get a drink. Still however I too find it far too expensive. Especially when I don't eat 90 percent of the food in there... so much unhealthy ****.
  11. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.9%

Yeah... might just be the school however - it allows unlimited swipes, so technically you could swipe just to get a drink. Still however I too find it far too expensive. Especially when I don't eat 90 percent of the food in there... so much unhealthy ****.
    When you have your own apartment you get unlimited nozzel twists to get free water, plus 4 free bunsons burners to fry up your 2.99/lb lean chicken breast.

The word "free" is very misleading. Just remember that your paying 500 smackers a month for that swiping ability.

12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.61%

Yea I saved about $3,800 once I moved off campus. Hit up a GFS or costco near you and you'll save huge. A month of brown rice is like $4, oatmeal is like $8 and you can get 21; 5oz chicken breast for like $12. and 15 dozen eggs for $10. I think I was spending $150 a month on food. Its unreal how much you can save and what you can acheive fitness wise when your off campus.

I highly advise it.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.09%

If there's a Sam's club or Costco near by then get yourself a membership and buy frozen Chicken and other meats by the truckload. They really have some excellent deals.
  14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.15%

Living off campus is the best thing you can do for your training. Do it...do it.

I spend about $100-120 on food a week.
  15. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.62%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Move off-campus for the sheer fact that you can get ****ed up as all hell with your roommates and not have to worry about an RA busting you.

But drinking in the dorms with all your friends is also very fun.

Similar Forum Threads

1. debating on blowing off a job interview, bad move?
    By jack98 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-04-2009, 09:59 PM
  2. Why was my poll on the PH banned moved to "off topic"
    By bigmark1972 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 11:26 PM
  3. This board is pissing me off already
    By K (Phoenix) in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-20-2002, 02:44 PM