Pondering moving off campus - costs

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I'm considering moving off campus into a single apartment, almost for one main reason - to control my diet. This year is very important for me to make dramatic progress in my training, and I can already tell that the dining hall will be restricting me so. You can make do there, but optimally it would be best off campus.

So the main thing that is holding me back is basically the cost. The actual apartments with full utilities costs a little less per month than staying on campus, but I really don't know how much it costs for a athlete to eat properly.

Currently, the dining hall charges me around $500 a month, which comes out to $125 a week. Approximately how much do you spend on food?

I would also like to note that I wouldn't skimp to save cash either. I eat plain foods, such as skinless/boneless chicken, lean hamburg, wheat pasta, rice, fresh vegetables, ect. Nothing fancy, but I would go for the top grade quality. Still, I can't see how it could possible run over $125 a week.

Opinions about the move or about the food are greatly appreciated.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
well as for me....out of sight out of mind....its a hell of a lot easier to stay focused when your not around vices,and things that will throw you off........not shure about the cost thing though..

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
well as for me....out of sight out of mind....its a hell of a lot easier to stay focused when your not around vices,and things that will throw you off........not shure about the cost thing though..
True that... well how much a week would you say you spend on food?

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
True that... well how much a week would you say you spend on food?
Around 80-100 bucks with chicken breast, oatmeal, spray, spices, wheat cereal/bread.

If the dining hall is charging $500bucks(which is absurd) a month, and rent is actually cheaper then move now. Your going to save money.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I spend about $50/wk on food, but I eat way more carbs than protein.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hated living on-campus because I would always get woken up by some ******* in my dorm making way too much noise in the middle of the night.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
If the dining hall is charging $500bucks(which is absurd) a month, and rent is actually cheaper then move now. Your going to save money.

agreed. i didn't know that campus food got that expensive. im with you trip, mom's house food is a good deal :) (i'll only be her for 9 more months though, the count down has started)

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hated living on-campus because I would always get woken up by some ******* in my dorm making way too much noise in the middle of the night.
Exactly why I moved off-campus after my 1st semester... to this day it's still one of the best investment of my life.:D

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
agreed. i didn't know that campus food got that expensive. im with you trip, mom's house food is a good deal :) (i'll only be her for 9 more months though, the count down has started)
Yeah... might just be the school however - it allows unlimited swipes, so technically you could swipe just to get a drink. Still however I too find it far too expensive. Especially when I don't eat 90 percent of the food in there... so much unhealthy ****.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah... might just be the school however - it allows unlimited swipes, so technically you could swipe just to get a drink. Still however I too find it far too expensive. Especially when I don't eat 90 percent of the food in there... so much unhealthy ****.
When you have your own apartment you get unlimited nozzel twists to get free water, plus 4 free bunsons burners to fry up your 2.99/lb lean chicken breast.:food: :D

The word "free" is very misleading. Just remember that your paying 500 smackers a month for that swiping ability.:thumbsup:

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea I saved about $3,800 once I moved off campus. Hit up a GFS or costco near you and you'll save huge. A month of brown rice is like $4, oatmeal is like $8 and you can get 21; 5oz chicken breast for like $12. and 15 dozen eggs for $10. I think I was spending $150 a month on food. Its unreal how much you can save and what you can acheive fitness wise when your off campus.

I highly advise it.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
If there's a Sam's club or Costco near by then get yourself a membership and buy frozen Chicken and other meats by the truckload. They really have some excellent deals.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Living off campus is the best thing you can do for your training. Do it...do it.

I spend about $100-120 on food a week.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Move off-campus for the sheer fact that you can get ****ed up as all hell with your roommates and not have to worry about an RA busting you.

But drinking in the dorms with all your friends is also very fun.