Johnnie O. Jackson

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Bodybuilding.com - Bodybuilding.com Writer - Video Series Main Page.

Take a look at this video with Johnnie. I am not sure if Johnnie is doing a front lateral raise or just practicing for bowling. I remember I used to watch a bunch of these videos on bb.com and thought that working out with terrible form while flopping around like a fish out of the water was correct....since that's how the pros did it.

As of course I made zero gains for atleast 6 months doing this till I finally wised up.

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
No sh1t. I guess when you get that big, who gives a sh1t about form????
Ask a powerlifter if he cares about form on Heavy rows or DB Overhead press.

JOJ is a powerlifter who happens to also be a bodybuilder.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Hm, interesting how he can workout like that and be ok and I got hurt.

I'm even more interested in how pros make gains by working out so sloppy. I've seen other pros workout in this manner too. with about 75-80% correct form.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
The best thing about this video is Johnie talking about the Nano Vapor. They show him "drinking" it with the lid to the shaker cup still sealed haha. Bob - "You look like you're getting bigger as I'm standing here" :rofl: :icon_lol: :toofunny:

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Good 'ol Muscle Tech. Yeah I'd like to see Johnnie go bowling tho. Incredible front deltoid muscle.

On another note: Jay Cutler has been working so hard to win Mr. Olympia prior to 2006. I'm sure he did tons of different things training,diet,drugs to constantly improve his physique.

After trying to many times and coming in second to Ronnie, he allows Muscle-Tech to piggyback his hard-earned first win to 'Aplodan'. Wow. Not persistance or anything else, just purely Aplodan.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
Good 'ol Muscle Tech. Yeah I'd like to see Johnnie go bowling tho. Incredible front deltoid muscle.

On another note: Jay Cutler has been working so hard to win Mr. Olympia prior to 2006. I'm sure he did tons of different things training,diet,drugs to constantly improve his physique.

After trying to many times and coming in second to Ronnie, he allows Muscle-Tech to piggyback his hard-earned first win to 'Aplodan'. Wow. Not persistance or anything else, just purely Aplodan.
Well Jay, Johnnie, and the other MT athletes get paid to endorse said products. Most people know they're not really using them but better off that younger kids buy into that, then start off with gear right away.
I remember before Ronnied signed with BSN, MT had an add on the back of flex that read "Congratulations Ronnie, we salute you 6 time Mr Olympia". Guess they were hoping to grab his attention with that ad. hrmmm :think:

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
i think i understand why i see people swing weights to lift them, they watch videos like this :)

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
poor form and swinging around weights does have some benefit (overloading the muscle), but I believe the possibility to injury outweighs the potential it has.

Every since I stopped lifting like Johnnie does in that video I have not had a single injury.....hopefully I don't ever again too.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've seen pros talk about using loose/bad form on occasion. The problem is people willing to make their lifestyle change after watching a video or two or after reading about one 6 week routine. You have to realize that this is only part of the whole formula and treat it as such.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
well said
:thumbsup:
I've seen pros talk about using loose/bad form on occasion. The problem is people willing to make their lifestyle change after watching a video or two or after reading about one 6 week routine. You have to realize that this is only part of the whole formula and treat it as such.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Exactly. the problem is, this video is on BB.com, how many young/newbie lifters are watching it?

I think most experienced lifters know about how and when to include 'cheating' lifts into their routine.

I see bad form everywhere I look in the gym...

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Even if the bad form is used on occasion by the pros, a beginner's website such as bb.com sets a poor example for how to start training.

I specifically can attest to this because this is how I learned to lift. If I had saw a more controlled/better form lifting I might have been able to skip out on all the tendonitis I expierenced. gee.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Even if the bad form is used on occasion by the pros, a beginner's website such as bb.com sets a poor example for how to start training.

I specifically can attest to this because this is how I learned to lift. If I had saw a more controlled/better form lifting I might have been able to skip out on all the tendonitis I expierenced. gee.
My point exactly.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I learned to lift through muscle mags which do the same exact thing, while telling me that taking andro poppers would give me huge results. The other end of that is a high school kid listening to a coach who is using 20+year old information.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Ah yes, good 'ol magazines.

I also recall when I read these insane workouts that the pros do and that more sets/reps/time in the gym means bigger muscles.

The reality is 20+ sets, 3 times a week in the gym for bench press does not equate to a big chest unless you are doing massive amounts of drugs.

jrm

jrm

Awards
Ask a powerlifter if he cares about form on Heavy rows or DB Overhead press.

JOJ is a powerlifter who happens to also be a bodybuilder.
I don't understand your arguement...powerlifting is all about form.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking that statement made no sense too.

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
I don't understand your arguement...powerlifting is all about form.
No. In powerlifting THE BIG THREE are all about form. I have yet to meet a powerlifter who gives 2 ****s about their form on heavy rows, DB shoulder press, or any other ancillary exercise.

You want to see JOJ have good form on an exercise, watch him deadlift, squat, or bench. I guarantee he has amazing form on those. Anything else? Probably not.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I just can't get over how Johnnie looks when he is swinging around the weights. Like I said before, it kinda looks like when you take a fish out of the water and let him flop around on the deck.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
get over it. He spills it out there in the gym, he didnt get that physique from steroids, solely. It takes hard work and some knowledge of the game. He should stick to powerlifting tho, he'll never place that high with the big boys in the IFBB.

whatastud08

whatastud08

Awards
  • Established
get over it. He spills it out there in the gym, he didnt get that physique from steroids, solely. It takes hard work and some knowledge of the game. He should stick to powerlifting tho, he'll never place that high with the big boys in the IFBB.
Agreed, he is one of the strongest BB'ers out there. He would dominate powerlifting if he were to return...but who knows what he may be "on" right now. Drug testing might cause some problems.

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
Agreed, he is one of the strongest BB'ers out there. He would dominate powerlifting if he were to return...but who knows what he may be "on" right now. Drug testing might cause some problems.
Drug testing? What drug testing?

Depends on what fed. There are like 30 different ones. Only a few test and those are only the amateur divisions IIRC.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have to keep in mind that Johnnie comes from powerlifting roots. His training style reflects that 'old school' powerlifter's mentality; more 'jerky' motions focussed more on getting as much weight up as possible.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
cheating can be a good weapon in a bb'er arsenal imo if done correctly it can build muscle no doubt.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
Did you not watch the video? Hes "On" Musle Tech's Nano Vapor haha. :toofunny: :rofl:

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
He must be on his second shake that he's 'feeling' cuz that bottle he is holding is still closed and full.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i watched it again, looks like his form is fine with that sort of weight he is using. Looks like he is still getting the target muscle to do alot of work. They have a new one up, the reigning Mr. O.