biggerexia?????

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
my wife is a psych student and is convinced she had a class all about me the other day. the class was on biggerexia... well, after a long talk about it she had told me all the symptoms of knowing someone has "biggerexia". in my opinion it sounds like every bodybuilder or body concious person would have this so called disorder.
her prof described it as a large person looking in the mirror and seeing a small reflection of themselves. the opposite of annorexia.
i just wanted to know your views on this.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
it's legit dude, pretty comon by all accounts so it's for real

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to motive again.

:thumbsup:

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
i think its extremely common but they are acting like its a bad thing. theyve even said i should go to image counseling!

Lander

Lander

Awards
Ya there was a big write up about it. I think people can have complexes about anything and everything. I just think its sad how the pharmaceutical companies make a huge profit on people who have these issues.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my wife is a psych student and is convinced she had a class all about me the other day. the class was on biggerexia... well, after a long talk about it she had told me all the symptoms of knowing someone has "biggerexia". in my opinion it sounds like every bodybuilder or body concious person would have this so called disorder.
her prof described it as a large person looking in the mirror and seeing a small reflection of themselves. the opposite of annorexia.
i just wanted to know your views on this.
Yeah, believe it or not it's for real. I read some literature on it a few years ago. However, imo psych often tends to "blanket diagnose" many problems rather than explore the often individual underlying issue at hand.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, believe it or not it's for real. I read some literature on it a few years ago. However, imo psych often tends to "blanket diagnose" many problems rather than explore the often individual underlying issue at hand.
i agree... and as far as how my wifes prof and doctor are trying to "diagnose" me, well... they havent even met me. they only know what they were told since im not home. also the fact that i look in the mirror and become my own critic is because i love bodybuilding not because im a poor pitiful person that needs attention and blah blah blah.
heck, who doesnt look in the mirror and critique themselves. in this sport you have to be tough on yourself!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i agree... and as far as how my wifes prof and doctor are trying to "diagnose" me, well... they havent even met me. they only know what they were told since im not home. also the fact that i look in the mirror and become my own critic is because i love bodybuilding not because im a poor pitiful person that needs attention and blah blah blah.
heck, who doesnt look in the mirror and critique themselves. in this sport you have to be tough on yourself!
Psych is very interesting indeed, however many of those involved in its teaching are often a case in themselves.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
i think if they haven't met u then they have no right to diagnose u as such, that's just frigging ridiculous!!

it's ok to look in the mirror dude as long as u not 250lbs, cut to shreds and still saying u look small and your boney then u ain't got a problem lol

:cheers:

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
i think if they haven't met u then they have no right to diagnose u as such, that's just frigging ridiculous!!

it's ok to look in the mirror dude as long as u not 250lbs, cut to shreds and still saying u look small and your boney then u ain't got a problem lol

:cheers:
i got up to 248 at about 14 % bf... i still felt small. at that time i was wanting to hit 270 but i couldnt do it being deployed.

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
248 And You Still Felt Small?... You Just Made My Case Of Biggerexia That Much Worse...haha... I Went From 175 To 195 And I Personally Dont Feel Any Bigger.. Everyone Else Seems To Notice It But Me... I Definitly Think It Gets In Your Head.. And Makes You Critique Your Self Harder Then Necessary... But I Guess Thats What Keeps Us Going To The Gym..

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Biggerexia ain't that bad. It's not like your an alcoholic or meth junkie LOL. I think it's bad when you go way out of your budget to take insane amounts of supplements.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Muscle dysmorphia is a very common occurrence in BBers. I think we have all had it to some extent because we are all trying to get bigger or at least make ourselves look bigger. I still have it little, especially since I lost a decent amount of mass from MMA training.

texxlnghorn

Awards
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
correct

It's called Dismorphia.

What pscys. are trying to dertmine now adays, is which came first.

The disease or the consciounsness of the disease.

Meaning the person always viewed theirselves as small, or did they develope the disease over time, by looking in the mirror and comparing them selves to other, and pictures of magazines.

There was a song that came out a few years ago, and one of the lines in the song was.
"don't look at cover-magazines, because they will only make you feel ugly.

The only Muscle magazie i read is M.D. because of the scientific evidence they write, and the hott chicks, but honestly I try not to look at the guys, because I know I'll never be that big and ripped.