Hurricane Dean - one badazz mofo

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Dean is a frighteningly damn strong hurricane. Currently Cat 4 with 145 MPH winds.

I fully expect Cat 5 winds/central pressure within a day. The Carribean is incredibly warm (as is the Gulf).
I'm thinking we may see a record low central pressure (currently Wilma with 880 mb).
The conditions are just stunning.

As far as where it's going in the US - seems like Mexico/south Texas.
BUT - everyone in the Gulf coast area needs to watch this thing.
(And hope to God it doesn't hit Houston dead on. You wanna complain about gas prices now - you ain't seen nothin'.)
It's possible the Low hovering over Florida may move into the central Gulf - causing Dean to turn northward ala Ivan.

If this storm is coming anywhere near you - don't pass Go. Get the hell out.

Some COLD clouds. (That is bad...)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
God i'm so sick of hurricanes.......florida is a great place to live when you don't have to worry about losing everything you own in a new york minute.

ahsbaseball08

ahsbaseball08

Awards
im sittin pretty close to clear on my map. im in galveston.houston.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Ahs,
Please. You are on the gulf - 15 feet above it. Your family needs to watch this guy. And don't stay on Galveston if this thing heads towards you.

ahsbaseball08

ahsbaseball08

Awards
Ahs,
Please. You are on the gulf - 15 feet above it. Your family needs to watch this guy. And don't stay on Galveston if this thing heads towards you.
yes, i no. Im in Alvin, which is about 40 miles or so away from galvestons island. Me and my family left for rita... and it didnt even hit hear hardley even rained..

but i told my parents i dont wanna try and stick this out, beacuse you never no with mother nature. it could be on our doorstep ASAP if we dont watch it close. Specially with the gulf being as warm as it is. this things got time to really get baddd.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Close to bein' damn bad right now. Cat 5 at the 8pm ET update from the NHC, I say.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
God i'm so sick of hurricanes.......florida is a great place to live when you don't have to worry about losing everything you own in a new york minute.
Get something built post Andrew and you don't have to worry.

I sat through Wilma wathcing TV as 100mph winds we're outside.

..and Florida isn't built below sea level :)

For those that have old homes under sea level, get the hell out!!!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Get something built post Andrew and you don't have to worry.

I sat through Wilma wathcing TV as 100mph winds we're outside.

..and Florida isn't built below sea level :)

For those that have old homes under sea level, get the hell out!!!
My wife and i are planning on building a home in port orange, fl very shortly. I agree thank god florida isn't below sea level though....I myself remember charlie quite well....it's truly an experience like none i've endured. I've encountered quite a few blizzards in my day(1978 which was the worst, but before my time, 1995, and 2002 in connecticut were pretty bad), but a major hurricaine trumps them all imho.....

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Good luck to everyone dealing with Dean. Stay safe.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I took a trip to Orange Beach, AL the weekend Katrina hit.

At that point, I took the adage of "don't trust the line the NHC publishes - trust the Cone of Death".
We thought that damn thing was going to hit Apalachacola, FL.
Hell no.

Though - the Gulf the Saturday before was some AWESOME swimming.

What made less sense was that we left AL to head back to Louisiana. :wtf:
Though - I only lost power for about 12 hours.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Well here go the gas prices again.... 3.69 for reg? or more?

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
2.60! Here its 2.78. I miss being able to get a full tank for under 20$:sad:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
If Dean continues on the foretasted track into the Yucatan and then mainland Mexico - gas shouldn't increase much at all.

If it were headed to Houston - I don't even want to think about how much it would rise.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
After going through Katrina in Gulfport, like some others have said...just leave to be safe. Yes, I def. left before that b@tch came in. It sux leaving all the time, but with one that is a 4 or greater, it's probably the best thing to do. Definitely keep an eye on it. Oh, and gas here in N Louisiana is 2.49...lowest I've seen it for quite some time.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Id love to be in a hurricane. I would be like Lt. Dan on forest gump, sittin up on the top on the boat yelling YOU CALL THIS A STORM!!!!

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
ive been in florida for over 20 years and have yet to sustain more than $500 worth of damage from a hurricane.

South florida is about 16-20 feet above sea level btw

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
but i told my parents i dont wanna try and stick this out, beacuse you never no with mother nature. it could be on our doorstep ASAP if we dont watch it close. Specially with the gulf being as warm as it is. this things got time to really get baddd.
Hell yeah ! I've never been through a hurricane but I'd leave town ASAP if I knew there was a good chance we'd get hit. You guys make me feel lucky for only having to worry about earthquakes LOL. I just don't want to be on a freaking ladder when we get hit by a big one.