*** The Official HXC Music Thread ***

Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Answers

When Overcast split up, ex-members formed KSE and Shadows Fall. Brian was the vocalist for Overcast, and then took over vocals for Shadows Fall...

2. Registered User
    Answers

Evergreen Terrace is a solid band. I've been listening to them since they came out, because I am big fan of that Florida flavor.
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by xjsynx View Post
    When Overcast split up, ex-members formed KSE and Shadows Fall. Brian was the vocalist for Overcast, and then took over vocals for Shadows Fall...
    yep, i know
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by warnerve View Post
    yep, i know
    Right on. It was posted for general trivia/info though for those peaking in....
  5. Registered User
    Answers

phil from all that remains used to sing for shadows fall before brian, i heard they wanted him to leave because he wasn't very good...dunno if that's true, it'd be weird because i think he is one of the best vocalists now
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Yeah that is pretty crazy. If that is true that they no longer wanted him, I wonder why? Could've been that All That Remains was Phil's side project...I guess Phil also tried out for vocalist for KSE, but they decided to go with Howard.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

Oddly enough when I first signed up here, the first thing I looked for was a thread about HARDCORE! Overlooked but now found, woohoo! Not on the East Coast or anything but been listening to punk and metal since I was 14 and involved with hardcore(maily just hangin out and going to shows) for over 10 years.
    I'll list a few bands I like and link up to their myspace accounts.
    marOOn
    Cataract
    Nasty
    Knuckledust
    Wisdom In Chains
    Sick Of It All
    Out To Win
    That gives you an idea, other bands I dig are xDisciplex, NIV, JUDGE(methusaleh knows what's up!), Buried Alive, Coalesce, Reprisal, Rykers, Negative Approach, Minor Threat, Ten Yard Fight, In My Eyes, Floorpunch, as well as many others but trying to keep this mainly hardcore.
  8. Registered User
    Answers

Nice additions bro. Out To Win/Mushmouth has been one of my favorites.

Buried Alive was another good one, but now Terror.

Coalesce is sick.

Seems like you like a lot of that European HXC. There are some good Euro bands.
  9. Registered User
    Answers

Nice additions bro. Out To Win/Mushmouth has been one of my favorites.

Buried Alive was another good one, but now Terror.

Coalesce is sick.

Seems like you like a lot of that European HXC. There are some good Euro bands.
    Yeah, I'm into a ton of euro bands right now, probably more so than American ones. I dig their metallic style, it's more mid 90's disembodied/swedish metal sounding which is cool. That and I figured with a forum as large as this one there had to be SOMONE into hardcore here. Your lists were quite impressive.
  10. Registered User
    Answers

Ghost Of A Fallen Age

MySpace/ghostofafallenage

Pretty goofy looking, but they bring the metal. They are formed from the now defunct Winter Solstice and Everything Falls Together. WS was a Christian metalcore band that could be compaired to Unearth. Never heard of EFT, but I will check them out.

"With inventive and catchy guitar riffs including harmonic solos and layered breakdowns to innovative growl and scream patterns, Ghost of a Fallen Age is perfect for the discerning metal fan who complains that nothing is hard or good enough."

Title: Rumors Of The Secret War
    Label: Tragic Hero
    Format: CD
    Product ID: TRG 685513 CD
    1. The Cold Open
    2. It's The Apathy That Calls Them Here
    3. Irrefutable Evidence For A Septic (3:15am)

4. The New 2007 Model Human
    5. The Summit's Burn
    6. Macabre Vow
    7. The Cancer That Devours My Dreams, And Takes Dominion Over My Nightmares
    8. A Poorly Tailored Man-Suit
    9. A Critical Proposal
    10. The Face Of Neglect
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    7'5"  600 lbs.
    Answers

Not sure if these would be classified as HXC or not...I don't follow many 'sub genres' but I've been listening to Five Finger Death Punch and Nodes of Ranvier a lot lately. Awesome music to work out to.
  12. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Packenwood View Post
    Not sure if these would be classified as HXC or not...I don't follow many 'sub genres' but I've been listening to Five Finger Death Punch and Nodes of Ranvier a lot lately. Awesome music to work out to.
    I wouldn't consider Five Finger Death Punch HXC, but I just checked them out. They sounds pretty heavy. I would put them in the metal Genre with Slipknot and the like.

Nodes of Ranvier is a Christian Metalcore HXC band that started out on Facedown records in 2002, but seems like are getting a little more pub now since the signed with Victory Records.
  13. Registered User
    Answers

One King Down

iPod on shuffle and this old SXE popped up.

They we solid and one of my favs back in the day, but "Gravity Wins Again" wasn't their same raw style.

"One King Down was an Albany, NY, based metallic hardcore band that played crunchy, danceable metalcore heavily influenced by such scene contemporaries as Snapcase and Earth Crisis.

The group formed in the mid-'90s, centered around the brotherly team of bassist Bill Scoville and guitarist Mike Scoville, along with guitarist Matt Wood and drummer Derrick Van Wie. With their original singer, they crafted a CD EP for Trainwreck Records, but it was with energetic frontman Rob Fusco, and Equal Vision Records (for whom Bill worked for a number of years), that One King Down really made their mark on the international hardcore punk scene.

The diminutive Fusco's growl and lyrical espousing of the vegan straight-edge lifestyle (not all of the band's members were vegans, or even vegetarians, but they were all drug-free) garnered them attention from all over the U.S. and Europe. Coupled with the band's stop-and-go rhythms and dancefloor-moving heavy groove, Fusco's vocals were put to tape for the Bloodlust Revenge EP, released by Equal Vision in 1997 and still regarded by most fans as the band's finest recorded hour.

The group toured with Erie, PA's Brothers Keeper and other bands, selling several thousand copies of the record at shows and through major independent distribution channels. They also released a split EP with Spirit of Youth through Europe's Good Life Recordings.

Internal friction caused the ousting of Fusco shortly before the band was to embark on a national tour supporting Earth Crisis and Madball, to be followed by another trek with Hatebreed. One King Down scrambled to find a replacement, inviting then Burn It Down vocalist Ryan Downey to fill in for them. This union only lasted for two shows before the singer-less One King Down returned home to regroup. Eventually, they teamed up with Syracuse native Jon Peters, who lent his vocals to the band's debut full-length album, 1998's God Loves, Man Kills. After subsequent touring, Peters left the band and they split up for a short time. Mike Scoville auditioned for the Foo Fighters, but the job ultimately went to someone else.

One King Down re-formed and Fusco was eventually invited to rejoin. They played a few shows before Van Wie left the group, with Wood switching to drum duties as the Albany band pared down to a four-piece. One King Down released the Gravity Wins Again EP in 2000, a collection of newly penned songs together with older, previously recorded tracks. In 2001, after skipping an appearance at Syracuse, NY's Hellfest, it appeared that the band was done once and for all.

- Ryan J. Downey (All Music Guide)"

Releases

* Jawbreaker Demo
    Crush the weak

Absolve
    TRK 003
    released on Trainwreck Records in 1995, recorded in Aug '94 @ Max Trax Studios.
    Download Tracks From SendSpace.com
    1. Nine Eyes
    2. Bleeding
    3. Reawakened
    4. The Killing Fields

GL020
    One King Down - Spirit of Youth Split
    Tracks
    1. One King Down - Only Way Out
    2. One King Down - Prey to Human Silence

Spirit of Youth was another solid SXE band from Belgium.

Bloodlust Revenge
    EVR031
    Released on February 4, 1997
    1. More Hate Than Fear

2. Absolve
    3. Prey To Human Silence
    4. Defiance
    5. Mass Suicide
    6. Bloodlust Revenge

God Loves, Man Kills
    EVR048
    Released on December 8, 1998
    1. Deliver Me
    2. In The Blood
    3. Who Am I
    4. God Loves, Man Kills
    5. All To Gray
    6. No Escape From Self
    7. Indifferent Now
    8. Forever Your Enemy
    9. From Cradle to Grave

When Angels Shed Their Wings Vol. 2
    Slayer Tribute split series from Devil's Head records.
    One King Down cover "Spill the Blood"

Gravity Wins Again
    EVR055
    Released on June 27, 2000
    1. Hasp
    2. Gravity Wins Again
    3. Who Am I
    3. Poison What You Give
    4. Nine Eyes
    5. Bleeding
    6. Reawakened
    7. The Killing Fields

* One King Down/Mindsnare/Day of Contempt Australian tour 7"
  14. Registered User
    Answers

Norma Jean fka Luti-Kriss

MySpace/normajean
    PureVolume

I picked up Luti-Kriss's first release with Pluto Records. It was a solid release. They then signed with Solid State and had another release which showed they were up and coming. Now changing their name to Norma Jean, and spawning other bands: The Chariot and The Handshake Murders, they are represneting the HXC scene for the Durty South.

Wiki:Luti-Kriss was a Christian nu-metal/hardcore outfit from Atlanta, Georgia formed in 1998. 4 of the 6 original members (and a former member) went on to form hardcore act Norma Jean.

Members
    Final lineup consisted of:
    * Josh Scogin- Vocals (The Chariot, Norma Jean)
    * Scottie Henry- Lead Guitar (Norma Jean, Spitfire)
    * Chris Day- Rhythm Guitar (Norma Jean)
    * Josh Swofford- Bass
    * Daniel Davison- Drums (Norma Jean)

Former Members
    * Josh Doolittle- Bass (Joined in 2000 when Swofford left, but left after the release of "Throwing Myself" when Swofford returned. When Swofford left again, Doolittle rejoined the remaining 4 members to form Norma Jean.)
    * Mick Bailey- Turntables (Appeared on both albums but left in 2001 during the recording of "Throwing Myself")

Norma Jean is a Christian metalcore band from Douglasville, Georgia, USA, a suburb of Atlanta.

Evolving from Luti-Kriss, the original Norma Jean line-up featured everyone from Luti-Kriss, except a different bass player and a percussionist in place of a turntablist.

In 2002 the band released Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child on Solid State Records and in March of 2005 they released their second album, titled O God, the Aftermath.

Their original vocalist Josh Scogin left the band shortly after the release of Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child, stating that "it was just something that I felt led to do." Original bassist Joshua Doolittle also left the band around the same time as Scogin. Doolittle was replaced by Jake Schultz in 2003. Scogin left the band and later went on to start The Chariot; he was replaced by Brad Norris for about a year and a half. He was later replaced by Cory Brandon Putman, formerly of the bands Eso-Charis and Living Sacrifice, who can be heard on Norma Jean's second album O God the Aftermath and their latest album Redeemer. The new album was recorded with producer Ross Robinson.

The artwork for the band's second album, O God the Aftermath was nominated for Best Recording Package at the Grammy Awards of 2006. The artwork was designed by Ryan Clark

Members
    * Cory Brandan Putman - Lead Vocals (formerly of Eso-Charis, Living Sacrifice, and The Handshake Murders)
    * Chris Day - Guitar, Vocals
    * Scottie Henry - Guitar, Vocals (formerly of Spitfire)
    * Jake Schultz - Bass
    * Daniel Davison - Drums

Guests and Additional Members
    * Aaron Weiss of mewithoutYou - Additional vocals in "Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste" on Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child, and also did percussion on various tracks from that album, he was originally supposed to be the band's percussionist.
    * Matt Putman - Percussion on Redeemer and Ozzfest 2006.
    * Steve Hash - Toured with the band as percussionist on the Radio Rebellion Tour 2006

Former members
    * Josh Scogin - Vocals (left band in 2002) (The Chariot, A Rose by Any Other Name)
    * Josh Doolittle - Bass (left band in 2002) (Agnus Dei)
    * Brad Norris - Touring Vocalist (2002-2004, was seen in the "Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste" Music Video)

Released:2000
    Pluto Records
    1. "Body Of God"
    2. "My Closet"
    3. "Eeyore"
    4. "Diaphuego"
    5. "I Covenant I'm Yours"

Throwing Myself (CD)
    TND 1171 CD
    Track Listing:
    1. Local 1145
    2. Black Smith
    3. The 'Anni Hilat' Ion

4. Light Blue Collar
    5. Patiently Philadelphia
    6. 100 Powell

7. An Act Of My Own Volition

8. Last Breath/First

9. Catharsis
    10. Petty Larson
    11. For Shadows
    12. A Chase In The Crowd

Bless The Martyr And Kiss The Child
    Tooth & Nail Records
    TND8956 - Aug 27, 2002
    Tracklisting:
    01. Entire World Is Counting on Me, and They Don't Even Know It
    02. Face: Face

03. Memphis Will Be Laid to Waste
    04. Creating Something out of Nothing, Only to Destroy It
    05. Pretty Soon, I Don't Know What, but Something Is Going to Happen
    06. Shotgun Message
    07. Sometimes It's Our Mistakes That Make for the Greatest Ideas
    08. I Used to Hate Cell Phones but Now I Hate Car Accidents
    09. It Was As if the Dead Man Stood Upon the Air
    10. Human Face, Divine
    11. Organized Beyond Recognition

Limited Edition Split 7"
    Released Spring of 2002
    Tooth & Nail / Solid State Records
    1. The Shotgun Message
    2. I Used To Hate Cell Phones But Now I Hate Car Accidents

O' God, The Aftermath
    Tooth & Nail Records
    CD TND75392 - Mar 1, 2005
    CD+DVD TND67648 - Mar 21, 2006
    Tracklisting:
    01. Murderotica : An Avalanche in D Minor
    02. Vertebraille : Choke That Thief Called Dependence
    03. Bayonetwork : Vultures in Vivid Color

04. Dilemmachine : Coalition, hoax
    05. Coffinspire : Multitudes, Multitudes in the Valley of Decision!
    06. Liarsenic : Creating a Universe of Discourse

07. Disconnecktie : The Faithful Vampire
    08. Absentimental : Street Clam

09. Charactarantula : Talking to you and the Intake of Glass
    10. Pretendeavor : In Reference to a Sinking Ship
    11. Scientifiction : A Clot of Tragedy / A Swarm of Dedication

Redeemer
    Tooth & Nail Records
    TND63560 - Sep 12, 2006
    TRACK LISTING:
    1. The End Of All Things Will Be Televised
    2. A Grand Scene For A Color Film
    3. Blueprints For Future Homes
    4. The Longest Lasting Statement
    5. A Small Spark Vs. A Great Forest
    6. Blueprints For Future Homes

7. Amnesty Please
    8. A Temperamental Widower
    9. Like Swimming Circles
    10. Cemetery Like A Stage
    11. Songs Sound Much Sadder

12. No Passenger, No Parasite
  15. Registered User
    Answers

New Video Added
  16. Registered User
    Answers

New Video Added
    saw One King Down with Hatebreed, and No Innocent Victim, on the jailhouse mentality tour before hatebreed got so popular, show ruled. The tour I really wish I could have seen was Another Victim, Turmoil, and OKD. Also got to see Luti Kris a few times before they became Norma Jan, band was fun! Great thread!
  17. Registered User
    Answers

Never saw OKD. When they did come to Denver a few years ago. my cousin went and saw them and said they were disappointing.

I have seen NIV. My buddy was actually going to put them up for the night, but then they had better judegement

I use to dig the Hatebreed shows before the blew up. A couple of times when they started the Ozzfest, they would actually got to a smaller venue the night before and put on a solid show, but those times are long gone.

Turmoil was another great band, but don't know if they never made out to Denver.

But the last show I went to, was wow, back in 03 or so
  18. Registered User
    Answers

Never saw OKD. When they did come to Denver a few years ago. my cousin went and saw them and said they were disappointing.

I have seen NIV. My buddy was actually going to put them up for the night, but then they had better judegement

I use to dig the Hatebreed shows before the blew up. A couple of times when they started the Ozzfest, they would actually got to a smaller venue the night before and put on a solid show, but those times are long gone.

Turmoil was another great band, but don't know if they never made out to Denver.

But the last show I went to, was wow, back in 03 or so
    Yeah, ironic enough once I really got into working out, I stopped going to as many shows, and I rarely mosh at every show anymore. Now I'm always too sore for training to do any of that anymore haha.
  19. Registered User
    Answers

Myspace/toopuretodie
    Staying with the brutal SXE theme.

Wow looks like Too Pure To Die signed with Trustkill. Hope this is a good sign that Trustkill is going back to teh Heavy, and not Too Pure going the way of Throwdown....But they have a new vocalist, so we will see.

Aug 29, 2007
    Trustkill Records has announced the signing of Too Pure To Die to our family of artists. The Des Moines based band has been building up momentum over the past few years including their full-length release Confidence And Consequence (Sumerian Records, 2006). The band has also been touring non-stop over the past year with full U.S. and Canadian runs alongside such bands at August Burns Red, Misery Signals, Sworn Enemy, Caliban, Kataklysm and The Acacia Strain. They are about to start another full U.S. run with All That Remains this Sept running through October. Since the band released Confidence And Consequence they have added Paul Zurlo (previously of Beyond All Reason) on vocals. The band is rounded out by Jordan Peterson (guitar) Chris Towning (bass), Zach Johnson (guitar) and Kyle Rossi (drums).

Speaking on the signing to Trustkill, Peterson proclaims “When I started this band one of my original goals was to be on Trustkill, I don’t think we could make a better move than by joining forces.” Trustkill President, Josh Grabelle echoes the sentiments by saying “There are some bands that get together and expect the world handed to them on a silver platter. Not Too Pure To Die. These guys get out there and DO what other bands TALK about doing, they're running circles around most bands. I went and saw them play live with new singer Paul and was floored, they killed it. We are super excited to see what the future holds for TPTD!" Currently the band is holed up in the recording studio working on re-recording Confidence And Consequence with new vocals from Paul and a previously unreleased track. The label aims to release the new version at the end of November. Too Pure To Die are also working on new material for their next album to surface in Summer 2008.

We Are A Weapon
    State Of The Art Recordings
    SOAR02 - Aug 31, 2004

TRACK LISTING:
    1. For Me This Is Life

2. X Up
    3. Fight To Win
    4. We Are A Weapon
    5. This Ends Tonight
    6. First To Fall
    7. The Stand
    8. Calloused
    9. Our Struggle
    10. The Last Time

Confidence And Consequence
    Sumerian Records
    SUMR002 - Nov 21, 2006

TRACK LISTING:
    1. Confidence And Consequence
    2. Bad Luck
    3. Blame No One
    4. It Won't Hurt
    5. Dead To Me
    6. All In A Day
    7. 99
    8. Reflections
    9. The Best Coincidence
    10. Our Only Chance

UPCOMING RELEASE • “Confidence And Consequence” CD Nov 20, 2007

The newest stars from Iowa will breathe new life into their debut album "Confidence And Consequence" with new vocals from Paul Zurlo, a new mix, and mastering! Also added is a brand new bonus song, so stay tuned!

There was an overwhelming feeling that more people needed to hear this great record. This time, the band entered the studio with Matt Sepanic and Andreas Magnussen behind the board to bring some new life to the record—this result BIGGER and BETTER.
    Looks like they have a new vocalist and a new label
  20. Registered User
    Answers

Soliders

MySpace/soldiersny

Looks like Trustkill signed another band. At least these cats are heavy and reminds me of Terror. Looks like they also signed Too Pure To Die...

I haven't heard too much from them, but they sound solild and bring back that old school NYHC flavor.

INFO: Forged from the desire to express opinions and thoughts in a non-traditional way, Soldiers is a band made up of experienced, hard working kids who have toiled on the road away from their Island home for many years. Soldiers represent a new Long Island sound; a reaction to all that has come before and the need to face new challenges. The members that comprise Soldiers have been on the front lines for years, and now working together they are poised and ready to fight for what they believe in; the music, their scene, and themselves.

Featuring members of This is Hell and The Backup Plan...The relentless attack Soldiers unleashes on all who listen is a combination of menacing guitars, punishing drums and vocals, devastating Break downs, lyrics you'll want to scream over and over again.high energy riffs from start to finish, For Fans of Buried Alive, This Is Hell,Terror and Hatebreed, these 5 songs really deliver on all fronts.

Five Point Records
    Released on September 12, 2006
    1 Prepare For War MP3
    2 Own Up
    3 Just For Once (look Me In The Eye)
    4 The Reclamation
    5 Worthless

End Of Days
    Trustkill Records
    TK103 - Oct 2, 2007
    TRACK LISTING:
    1. Even Worse
    2. Sever Ties
    3. The Reclamation
    4. Decide And Conquer
    5. Choosing Revenge
    6. Relentless
    7. Bound By Defiance (T$S)
    8. Damage Is Done MP3
    9. Nothing More, Nothing Less
    10. Own Up!
    11. Since Day One
    12. Smoke And Mirrors
    Last edited by xjsynx; 09-11-2007 at 04:41 PM.
  21. Registered User
    Answers

Pretty cool thread. I guess I'm a fan of punk/alternative/indie kinda music in general. I kinda think nowadays there's quite a few bands that are way too metal to be calling themselves hardcore. I personally can't stand stuff like Job for a Cowboy, The Devil Wears Prada or Elysia... especially Elysia. That stuff is like a big joke to me. I also think lyrics about blood and guts and carnage is just silly. I don't really have anything against metal, I guess stuff like Shadows Fall, In Flames, and Killswitch Engage is alright, can't say I've been listening to killswitch much after they put out end of heartache though.

So here's a list of some of my favorites.

Glassjaw - In my opinion this is quite possibly the best band of all time, unfortunately Daryl Palumbo is too busy with Head Automatica for them to be playing much shows, though they are supposed to be putting out a new album soon. I was lucky to see them play a sold out show at the House of Blues in December.

Shai Hulud - Last I heard they were on tour with Misery Signals, this is an amazing band with intricate musical arrangements and highly inspirational lyrics. They've been around since the mid 90s, and their old screamer is the guitarist from New Found Glory.

Poison The Well - These guys really used to be one of my favorites, and in a way they still are. The Opposite of December is a classic album and the Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder EP that came out before that was good too. Tear From The Red was alright, but anything that came out after that just sucks in my opinion. Listen to the song 12 23 93 on the myspace page.

From Autumn To Ashes - Too Bad You're Beautiful was a classic album, I guess the new stuff is decent. Listen to the song Royal Crown vs. Blue Duchess. Some people don't like the sung vocals for this band, but if you can get past that it's some great music!

Converge - This is a great band! Some good pissed off music, they've also been around for like forever. They have pioneered quite a few elements of the genre.

Snapcase - This was probably one of the first hardcore bands I ever heard that got me into the genre. Unfortunately they broke up in 2005. They were on Victory Records in the 90s, before the label went to crap.

Hopesfall - The Satellite Years was definitely a classic album, one of my favorites of all time. Unfortunately they don't have any songs off that album on the myspace. Nowadays they've shifted towards a more mellow alternative kinda sound, kinda like the Deftones and Incubus. I personally enjoy the new album Magnetic North. And for those of you that have heard Underoath, this is the #1 band that they like to rip off.

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Amazing band, spectacular live show. They've kinda pioneered the math metal/mathcore genre. Highly spastic music and very technical instrumentation. Sometimes they even have these crazy mellow jazz parts. Funny thing is their old drummer left the band to join Coheed and Cambria, though it seems as that didn't stop them in their tracks at the least. I can't wait for the new album to come out on the 13th.

Misery Signals - I've been a fan of these guys for as long as they've been around, I was a fan of 7 Angels 7 Plagues too. I got to see them play at the now defunct Fireside Bowl here in Chicago opening for All Out War back when they only had the EP out, good times. I personally like the old screamer better.

Fear Before The March of Flames - I love the new album "Mouth". Great band with a lot of spasticity and dissonance but also melody at times. Did I mention they put on a great live show?

Refused - Highly influential band from Sweden that was around in the 90s and broke up in 98. I think the guy who was in it is in the International Noise Conspiracy now.

Death By Stereo - I love these guys, just some great hardcore jams, with a bit of technicality and solos thrown in. They've also had members that have also been in and still are in Throwdown and Eighteen Visions.

Bane - These guys definitely got a bit of the old school sound going on. Great live show.

Blood for Blood - This is a very negative, aggressive, and nihilistic sounding band. The vulgarity of the vocalist definitely puts a smile on my face.

This is Hell - This is another old school kinda sounding band, although they are a newer band. I first heard these guys when I saw them live when they were opening for glassjaw, the stuff isn't bad.

The Locust - These guys show just how f*cked up hardcore can get. They dress up in locust outfits when they play shows. I saw them when they were playing with The Dillinger Escape Plan and needless to say I was blown away. They were originally known for their insane 30 second songs, but with the new album they seem to be more experimental and actually have 2 minute songs. One of their members owns the record label "Three One G" which has some pretty good grindcore stuff on it, but it's more like artsy grindcore instead of metalhead grindcore. You might wanna check out some of the side projects too such as The Crimson Curse, Some Girls, Holy Molar, Cattle Decapitation (Death Metal, personally I'm not much a fan of the genre), Head Wound City (With members of the Blood Brothers) among others.

The Blood Brothers - Okay okay, I know what you're gonna say, that you can't stand the high pitched vocals, but I think if you can get past that there's some really creative experimental music to be heard. The aggression has been toned down in their latest album, but I still enjoy it.

Bad Brains - What hardcore list would be complete without giving credit to some of the originators? The Bad Brains is definitely a top notch band. What set them apart from their peers in the 80s hardcore punk scene such as Minor Threat and Black Flag was that they could actually play their instruments proficiently. Also the band is composed of all African-American members. They also infuse elements of reggae into some of their songs. Did I mention that they also just put out a new album?
  22. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Skiba View Post
    Pretty cool thread. I guess I'm a fan of punk/alternative/indie kinda music in general. I kinda think nowadays there's quite a few bands that are way too metal to be calling themselves hardcore. I personally can't stand stuff like Job for a Cowboy, The Devil Wears Prada or Elysia... especially Elysia. That stuff is like a big joke to me. I also think lyrics about blood and guts and carnage is just silly. I don't really have anything against metal, I guess stuff like Shadows Fall, In Flames, and Killswitch Engage is alright, can't say I've been listening to killswitch much after they put out end of heartache though.
    So I take it you're just a big ALK3 fan?
  23. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

You are a very smart man.
  24. Registered User
    Answers

I am a fan of the trio, I am also a fan of bands like The Lawrence Arms and The Smoking Popes, I am also from Chicago.

I thought I'd add three more bands to the list .

Every Time I Die - Most people have heard material off of Gutter Phenomenon by these guys, but their older material is a lot more dissonant and hardcore sounding, and not so much of the bluesy riffs, which I still think is cool. Seems like they just put out a new album only like a week ago, good thing I decided to make this list as now I get to take a listen to it.

The Number Twelve Looks Like You - I'm going out on a bit of a limb for this one, but you gotta admit that some of the crazy guitar parts do sound cool sometimes. I haven't heard the new album, I might have to give it a listen.

Modern Life Is War - This is a newer band, but these guys definitely know what's up. They kinda got that melodic hardcore sound that had it's peak in the mid 90s - early 2000s, right before myspace got huge.

Oh yeah and a popular site for this type of music, whether it be Madball, The Acacia Strain, or The Blood Brothers would be Lambgoat // hardcore music and metal music.
  25. Registered User
    Answers

Oh and of course, how could I forget?

HORSE The Band - If you're not familiar with horse the band, let me just tell you that this band is pretty ridiculous. Definitely one of those types of bands that are better live than on record. I think the band itself is kind of a parody of the hardcore genre. Lots of keyboards and weird sounds.
  26. Registered User
    Answers

American Nightmare/Give Up The Ghost - They started out as American Nightmare and later changed their name to Give Up The Ghost, I'm starting to get tired of describing these bands. Just give it a listen .

Edit: These guys sadly broke up in 2004.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Answers

wow I like what i see on here.. hats off to horse the band, throwdown, norma jean, walls of jericho, and especially bury your dead.. etc etc..

I'll come out with just a few suggestions that I seriously encourage you fellas to sample.

The Acacia Strain - Arguably THE heaviest band I have ever come across. Seen them 4-5 times in Pittsburgh/Erie area and they're impressive.

Winter Solstice - Broken up now but I got to see them before they fell apart. Very impressive, flowing hardcore metal music.

War of Ages - Right outta my backyard in Erie, and not too big yet. Very impressive everything and one of the best live bands I've ever seen.

Give them a shot, you won't regret it! Keep the spirit alive fellas, great thread x!
  28. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    wow I like what i see on here.. hats off to horse the band, throwdown, norma jean, walls of jericho, and especially bury your dead.. etc etc..

I'll come out with just a few suggestions that I seriously encourage you fellas to sample.

The Acacia Strain - Arguably THE heaviest band I have ever come across. Seen them 4-5 times in Pittsburgh/Erie area and they're impressive.

Winter Solstice - Broken up now but I got to see them before they fell apart. Very impressive, flowing hardcore metal music.

War of Ages - Right outta my backyard in Erie, and not too big yet. Very impressive everything and one of the best live bands I've ever seen.

Give them a shot, you won't regret it! Keep the spirit alive fellas, great thread x!
    Acraia Strain is one of my favorite bands, and you are right they are heavy...

Check out Ghost of Fallen Age Ex Winter Solstice members.

And War of Ages is a pretty solid band. Facedown records have a very solid line-up.
  29. Registered User
    Answers

Shai Hulud - Last I heard they were on tour with Misery Signals, this is an amazing band with intricate musical arrangements and highly inspirational lyrics. They've been around since the mid 90s, and their old screamer is the guitarist from New Found Glory.

Shai Hulud is a great band.

Poison The Well - These guys really used to be one of my favorites, and in a way they still are. The Opposite of December is a classic album and the Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder EP that came out before that was good too. Tear From The Red was alright, but anything that came out after that just sucks in my opinion. Listen to the song 12 23 93 on the myspace page.

I couldn't agree more. PTW was great with their original vocalist. I got a chance to see them when they came to Denver.

From Autumn To Ashes - Too Bad You're Beautiful was a classic album, I guess the new stuff is decent. Listen to the song Royal Crown vs. Blue Duchess. Some people don't like the sung vocals for this band, but if you can get past that it's some great music!

FATA first two releases were my favorite. I was picking up everything Tribunal was putting out at the the time, but lost intrest in FATA as the grew in popularity.

Snapcase - This was probably one of the first hardcore bands I ever heard that got me into the genre. Unfortunately they broke up in 2005. They were on Victory Records in the 90s, before the label went to crap.

Snapcase was solid, and I agree with Victory records going to crap. I think most of the larger Indie labels are turning to crap. At least with Tooth & Nail and Solid State they keep the heavy bands on SS and the weaker bands on T&N.

Hopesfall - The Satellite Years was definitely a classic album, one of my favorites of all time. Unfortunately they don't have any songs off that album on the myspace. Nowadays they've shifted towards a more mellow alternative kinda sound, kinda like the Deftones and Incubus. I personally enjoy the new album Magnetic North. And for those of you that have heard Underoath, this is the #1 band that they like to rip off.

The Satellite Years is the last release I picked up. I was a big Hopesfall fan, but everything Trustkill touches...

Misery Signals - I've been a fan of these guys for as long as they've been around, I was a fan of 7 Angels 7 Plagues too. I got to see them play at the now defunct Fireside Bowl here in Chicago opening for All Out War back when they only had the EP out, good times. I personally like the old screamer better.

One of my favorite bands. Well, I have quite few favorites, but these guys are towards the top.

Blood for Blood - This is a very negative, aggressive, and nihilistic sounding band. The vulgarity of the vocalist definitely puts a smile on my face.

Spit my last Breath was my favorite release. Gotta see these cats when they came to town...Good show, this is when the had their female bassists who I belive went on to Figure Four???

This is Hell - This is another old school kinda sounding band, although they are a newer band. I first heard these guys when I saw them live when they were opening for glassjaw, the stuff isn't bad.

Check out their side project "Soldiers" which I just posted. Same Old School sound...

[/COLOR]
  30. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Skiba View Post
    I love metalcore. And it was the metal sounds of Earth Crisis, Strife, In Living Sacrafice that turned me on to HXC. I dig The Devil Wears Prada, reminds me of Zao and Norma Jean.

Job for Cowboy I agree. Do they consider themselves HXC? For the most part I don't consider most bands on Metal Blade Records HXC. Other than the HXC bands they signed to their label: ASID, Evergreen Terrace, ALES, and a handful of other bands, and looks like the signed Shai Hauld:

Yes the rumors are true… SHAI HULUD is back together and has recently signed a deal with Metal Blade Records and are about to hit the road for a string of dates in Europe with PARKWAY DRIVE and REMEMBERING NEVER. Shortly after SHAI HULUD returns to the States they will head out with DEAD TO FALL, TWELVE TRIBES, and label mates PHOENIX MOURNING for the Call No Man Happy Who Is Not Dead Tour sponsored by PureVolume, LambGoat & Metal Maniacs. Once the band is done touring they will spend the winter months writing material for their Metal Blade debut which will be out in the Spring/Summer 2007. More information will be made available as it comes in including tour updates from the guys, updates on the writing process, what studio and producer they plan on going with and studio reports once they start recording.

"Having been intensely fanatic about the majority of their bands (yes, even THE GOO GOO DOLLS, but more so CRYPTIC SLAUGHTER) for upwards of 20 years, we are honored to be welcomed to their family. Like I told the label, Metal Blade may very well be more responsible for raising me than my mother. Sorry Mom, but you must admit I spent quite a lot of time with SLAYER and VOIVOD in those formative years... We plan on spending this coming winter writing for our Metal Blade debut." Matt Fox Shai Hulud

"All of us here at Metal Blade are absolutely thrilled to be working with a band that is as influential as SHAI HULUD and can’t wait to get started working their MB debut. We definitely expect to see great things from Matt Fox and Co. and will make sure we do everything in our power to help them along the way. 2007 is going to be one hell of a year for Metal Blade and I’m grateful that SHAI HULUD will be a part of that." Metal Blade

"I remember seeing SHAI HULUD at Furnace Fest 2002 and they were the best band there! They've influenced so many of the bands that are up and coming right now, including AS I LAY DYING. When Matt first sent me the new demos, I was honored to give my recommendation to Metal Blade and I’m happy to see they are now part of the MB family." Tim Lambesis of AS I LAY DYING

"SHAI HULUD were one of the pioneers of melodic hardcore. When I say melodic, I mean crushing yet melodic music, with emotionally driven heavy vocals that will tear your soul open. Without these guys metal/hardcore would not sound the way it does today. They were and still are a musical influence for me." Trevor Phipps of UNEARTH

31. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by LiftNDestroy View Post
    So I take it you're just a big ALK3 fan?
    That is what I was thinking....
  32. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rpen22 View Post
    You are a very smart man.
    Hey Rpen. I see you are 8 weeks out. How are things going?

I bet these 8 weeks are the hardest? What gets up nd ready and keeps you motivated music wise, even if it isn't HXC?
  33. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Hey Rpen. I see you are 8 weeks out. How are things going?

I bet these 8 weeks are the hardest? What gets up nd ready and keeps you motivated music wise, even if it isn't HXC?
    Things are going pretty good, but yeah, these next 8 weeks are gonna be pretty rough. Especially the last 3 or 4.

Actually, since you told me about August Burns Red, that's the main thing I've been listening to during my workouts with the addition of the new ETID cd. Messengers and Thrill Seeker are definitely good for getting me motivated, no doubt.
  34. Registered User
    Answers

Things are going pretty good, but yeah, these next 8 weeks are gonna be pretty rough. Especially the last 3 or 4.

Actually, since you told me about August Burns Red, that's the main thing I've been listening to during my workouts with the addition of the new ETID cd. Messengers and Thrill Seeker are definitely good for getting me motivated, no doubt.
    Right bro. If you need a kick in the ass, you know where to find me
  35. Registered User
    Answers

Looks like the Colorado scene is picking up. I am going to half to check out some local bands

36. Registered User
    Answers

August Burns Red

ABR hooked me with "Looks Fragile After All" (tempting to pick up the re-release w/DVD), and solidified them on my all time list with "Thrill Seekers", and keeps on destroying with "Messengers"; some solid Metalcore...

MySpace
    PureVolume

August Burns Red Bio:Messengers, the second record to drop from the minds and hands of Lancaster, PA fivesome August Burns Red is more than just a collection of 11 raging metal songs that ravage the ears of their listeners with technical skill and immense passion. The record is, in fact, not only a musical collaboration, but also a lyrical one, where every member of the band contributed to the lyrical content with their own thoughts, ideas and messages. Hence the record’s intriguing title.

“We all contributed to the lyrics on this one whereas on Thrill Seeker our singer did all the writing,” Brubaker explains. “We all offered different ideas. Each of us wrote a set of lyrics and we’d pick a song we thought they’d fit with. It was a collaboration rather than one person.”

August Burns Red, who initially formed in March of 2003, began this writing process almost immediately after finishing their shattering debut, Thrill Seeker, at the end of 2005, collecting ideas to follow up that disc with something even bigger. The five members of August Burns Red spent almost the entire year and half they were touring in support of Thrill Seeker penning the songs that landed on Messengers, eventually entering the studio in February 2007 in Nashville with Tue Madsen (The Haunted, Himsa, Dark Tranquility, Extol), with whom the fivesome co-produced the album. The group spent the month refining the tracks into the aggressive, pounding songs you hear on the finished album.

“I think we wanted to continue with what our style is- stay in our niche- but expand upon it,” Brubaker says of the album. “It’s two years after our last record so we’re obviously going to be better at our instruments and more mature as songwriters. So to me it’s a natural progression from our album before.”

The album ranges from the heavily throbbing, double-bass-driven “Composure” to the crushing “An American Dream,” a song that drags the listener along by Luhrs’ callous screams and the band’s penchant for driving, metallic guitar riffs and intricate drumwork. The complexity of August Burns Red’s songwriting is apparent throughout, a clear indication of a band with rabid ambition and a burgeoning talent for crafting tight, compelling songs. Longtime fans fear not, though; Messengers is still the product of the same intense band who continue to blow the minds of everyone lucky enough to witness their memorable live show.

“I think it sounds like us,” Brubaker notes of Messengers. “But it’s more mature and musicianship-wise it’s way better. It’s much more technical. I think it really shows how far we’ve come.”

Wiki:August Burns Red are a Christian Metalcore group from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. The band formed in March of 2003 and quickly started playing shows around Lancaster. In 2004, the band was signed to CI Records and released an EP called Looks Fragile After All. After about another year of playing shows, the band was signed to Solid State Records in 2005 and released Thrill Seeker on November 8th of that year. Having completed recording their latest album, "Messengers", they are currently on their first headlining tour. Messengers was released on June 19, 2007. The members are well known in the metal world for wearing flip-flops and shirts that aren't black while they play.

August Burns Red has toured with bands such as Cassius, Too Pure To Die, The Chariot, Ringworm, Demiricous, Ligeia, Terror, Bury Your Dead, Scars of Tomorrow, Sinai Beach, Chasing Victory, Nodes of Ranvier, The Showdown, Project 86, Haste the Day, Between the Buried and Me, Wilderness, Chiodos, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, The Number Twelve Looks Like You, As I Lay Dying, Zao, Demon Hunter, Spoken, Destroy the Runner, Inhale Exhale, Twelve Gauge Valentine, Evergreen Terrace and Becoming the Archetype.

2004 - DEMO
    1. Silhouette of Wings
    2. Your Thoughts on What's Right
    3. Show Me How To Give In
    4. The Crack From Which Gold Pours
    5. Zoar

Looks Fragile After All
    August 24, 2004
    *CI046 - Jul 31, 2007 (Re-release)
    C.I. Records
    TRACK LISTING:
    1. Background Music To Her Awakening

2. Missing This Opportunity
    3. Glory Thrives
    4. You Should Be Taking Flight Right Now
    5. Accidental Shot Heard 'Round The World
    *Included in this reissue is a DVD with over an hour of footage, including interviews, a music video and various live and tour footage.

1. Your Little Suburbia Is In Ruins

2. Speech Impediment

3. Endorphins
    4. Too Late For Roses
    5. Barbarian

6. The Reflective Property
    7. A Wish Full Of Dreams
    8. Consumer
    9. A Shot Below The Belt
    10. Eve Of The End
    11. The Seventh Trumpet

Messengers
    June 19, 2007
    Solid State Records
    Track Listing:
    1. The Truth of a Liar

2. Up Against the Ropes
    3. Back Burner

4. The Blinding Light
    5. Composure

6. Vital Signs
    7. The Eleventh Hour
    8. The Balance
    9. Black Sheep
    10. An American Dream
    11. Redemption
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Man I saw August Burns Red in Pittsburgh awhile ago and they're coming back next month with Unearth and Im gon see them again! Thrill Seeker is probably my fav, but they're all damn good..
  38. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Their drummer blows my mind(no homo).
  39. Registered User
    Answers

Oh Sleeper

Another solid Metalcore band, which must be Christian since they signed to Solid State Records

MySpace
    PureVolume

Oh, Sleeper featuring ex-members of Terminal (Tooth & Nail) and Between the Buried & Me (Victory Records) Oh, Sleeper is already blazing a trail of their own.

Oddly enough, failure is the binding fabric that held the members of recently formed Oh, Sleeper together and kept them from slowly embedding themselves further in defeat. "Everyone in this project refused to continue on with our lives until weve made the difference that we are supposed to make in music." says drummer Ryan Conley. Scattered in different corners of the country, something bigger brought these guys together in April of 2006. With the majority of the members coming from short-lived rock outfit Terminal (Tooth & Nail Records), it's no surprise that the band signed a deal with Solid State Records in the summer of '07. Oh, Sleeper brings a full plate of heavy and dark guitars with thought out lyrics that refuse to shy away from truth. Music is a weapon and they plan to fully utilize this divine appointment for nothing other than a purpose greater than themselves. Starr explains: "At the end of the day, a song is nothing more than a bunch of notes and chords strategically thrown together. Dont get me wrong, music is awesome but I feel there is something more to this life than writing a hit song and selling records. Anyone can learn how to play an instrument, but what good is it if you only use that talent for self gratification?" Oh, Sleeper just finished recording their debut full-length for Solid State Records with Andreas Magnusson (Scarlet, The Agony Scene, Spitfire). It will be available for you to purchase on October 23, 2007. To see 5 weeks worth of studio footage, check out the blogs on our Myspace. Stay tuned.

Wiki:Oh, Sleeper is a metalcore band from Ft. Worth, Texas signed to Solid State Records.

History:Oh, Sleeper formed in April of 2006 after two former members of short-lived rock band Terminal got together with former Between the Buried and Me guitarist Shane Blay and former Terminal bassist Lucas Starr (who was at the time with As Cities Burn). Eventually they found a vocalist in Micah Kinard and began practicing and touring throughout the rest of 2006 into early 2007. The band released one independent EP during this time titled The Armored March. The band was discovered and quickly signed with Solid State Records in the Summer of 2007. Since then, the band has been touring and has recently recorded their debut album When I Am God which will be released on October 23, 2007. The band has released two new songs on their MySpace entitled "I Will Welcome The Reaping" and "Charlatan's Host"

Members
    * Micah Kinard - Vocals
    * Shane Blay - Guitar/Vocals (Between The Buried and Me, Evelynn)
    * James Erwin - Guitar (Terminal)
    * Lucas Starr - Bass (Terminal, As Cities Burn)
    * Ryan Conley - Drums (Terminal)

The Armored March
    OHSCD100
    11/21/06
    Track Listing:
    1. To Flagship
    2. The End Of A Dark Campaign (The Amputation)
    3. His Name Was Bishop
    4. The Siren's Song

5. We Are The Archers

When I Am God
    Release Date: In Stores: 10/23/2007
    Tracklisting:
    01. Vices Like Vipers
    02. I Will Welcome The Reaping
    03. We Are The Archers
    04. Charlatan's Host
    05. The Siren's Song
    06. The Color Theft
    07. To Flagship
    08. His Name Was Bishop
    09. Building The Nations
    10. Revelations In The Calm
    11. The End Of A Dark Campaign
  40. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    Man I saw August Burns Red in Pittsburgh awhile ago and they're coming back next month with Unearth and Im gon see them again! Thrill Seeker is probably my fav, but they're all damn good..
    Pittsburgh

You can enjoy this thread as long as you are not a Steeler fan j/k

Their drummer blows my mind(no homo).
    Thanks for clearing taht up
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. The Official Product Request Thread
    By stryder in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 4028
    Last Post: 08-18-2014, 04:52 PM
  2. The Official Chewing Tobacco thread