New car audio setup... help

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Last year, I had a good audio setup in my 2002 Mazda Tribute. Panasonic head unit, kicker 5x7 components up front, kicker 5x7 coaxials in the rear, 2 10" CVR subs in the back, all of this powered w/ 2 kicker amps (1 for subs, 1 for mids/highs).

To my dismay, the head unit, subs, and amps were ripped out of my car one fateful evening. So, for the last >1yr., I've been riding around w/ no music (I still have a gaping hole in my dash).

I'm ready to replace and rebuild. I got $1000 gift card for Best Buy (I know, not the best place to shop for this stuff), but I've decided that this money would be best spent on redoing my car audio setup... there is nothing else at Best Buy that I want/need.

So, here's my plan...

(all links point to Crutchfield 'cause they have more in-depth specs)

Head unit: Alpine 9883

Sub: Rockford Fosgate P2D412 - 12" dual VC 4-ohm

Sub enclosure: Q-Logic 12" sealed/vented 1.25cu. ft.

Amp: Alpine MRP-M450

The thieves didn't take the time to steal my door speakers, so I'm going to re-use those and power them off the Alpine head unit for right now. If that doesn't work out too well, I'll put them back on an amp down the road.

So, I need thoughts and opinions. Remember, I'm limited to what Best Buy carries (ugh). The salesman was trying to sell me an Alpine 12" Type-R sub (which is a badass sub) w/ the above Alpine ~400w amp. I am afraid of that sub being underpowered so I went w/ a stage-2 punch sub.

edit: Also, I'm trying to stick w/ a single subwoofer to save on space... I've got a new baby boy, and I'm gonna have to be hauling all his stuff around, as well as my dog, so, I'm trying to avoid another 2-sub setup... hence the single mid-range P2 Rockford.

Thanks in advance!!!

:type:

jrm

jrm

Awards
What other amp choices do you have? Stick with RF subs there, I think that's their best option. I would run the sub sealed. Do they have RF amps?

jrm

jrm

Awards
The HU he's getting is iPod ready, so that'll store more.

tattoopierced1

The HU he's getting is iPod ready, so that'll store more.
This one is too... Plus if he doesnt have an iPod, it is much much cheaper to get a USB flash drive than an iPod.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Wow... thanks for all the quick replies, guys!

What other amp choices do you have? Stick with RF subs there, I think that's their best option. I would run the sub sealed. Do they have RF amps?
They have a small selection of Alpine, Rockford, Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, Infinity, and some others.

I plan on running the sub sealed. The enclosure I'm getting has the option to be ported or sealed, so I can pick which one I enjoy the most.

Yes, they have other RF amps, but the only one in my price range (~$200 is only 200w). The Alpine M450 is CEA2006 compliant, so I trust the listed specs for the most part... it seems like a better amp for the money. Plus, all the reviews on crutchfield were great.

Jet

Awards
  • Established
I've never been much of a fan of RF, and the Alpine type R sounds amazing. Were you considering a 10" or 12"? Even a 10" sealed with the correct wattage would sound better than a 12" RF, in my opinion :thumbsup:

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I've never been much of a fan of RF, and the Alpine type R sounds amazing. Were you considering a 10" or 12"? Even a 10" sealed with the correct wattage would sound better than a 12" RF, in my opinion :thumbsup:
Yeah... the Type-R subs are awesome. But, I MUST consider 1.) price and 2.) amp power. If I step to a type-r, I'll have to step up my amplification power, as well.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would buy a car alarm before you put speakers back in your car. I learned this the hard way.

I had speakers, subs, amp and a head unit stolen from my car about 3 years ago. Right out of my freakin driveway. If I would have caught the *******s, i would probobly be in jail right now.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I had speakers, subs, amp and a head unit stolen from my car about 3 years ago. Right out of my freakin driveway. If I would have caught the *******s, i would probobly be in jail right now.
Ditto.

My problem, though, was that I forgot to lock my car. Had it been locked, they would have left it... I know based on the police reports. This was a gang of "pros" who hit the entire block... but only cars that were unlocked.

I agree w/ the alarm, though. My car has an "anti-theft" system, which detects when doors are opened without being unlocked from the key fob. But, a thief could easily break a window and pull everything out accordingly w/out opening any doors. So, so much for "anti-theft".

ahsbaseball08

ahsbaseball08

Awards
nice to see someone else is interested in caraudio.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
So, I've got an appt. to have the Alpine 9883 installed today. Normally, I do all my own installation, but I've got too much stuff going on lately to want to mess with it.

I'm still debating on the sub/amp combo. I'm really liking the price of the Alpine M450. I'm still weary of it powering a Type R sub. I wish I could get two subs... I would get two 12" Type E subs... but the wife would kill me.

If best buy carried the m650 (bigger brother of m450), then the type R would be a sure thing. But, they only carry the m850, which is too much $ for me right now.

Thoughts on subs in a 1.25cu. ft. sealed or ported box? I'm leaning towards the Stage 2 punch 12". I wouldn't mind the Infinity Ref1252 12", but best buy charges 20-30 bucks more for it than other places, plus it would be overpowered by the M450.

Edit: also, I'm limiting my choices to things that aren't ridiculously overpriced, like the Type E 12" subs... best buy is charging almost $150/ea., when you can get them anywhere else for <100.

I wish I could convert the gift card to a crutchfield gift card... then I would be set.

ahsbaseball08

ahsbaseball08

Awards
i have a freind with the same alpine HU, its awsome.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
So, I got the head unit installed today. It fawking rocks!! I swear it makes my kicker components sound better than when they were running off a separate amp.

I bought the 4 year warranty for $30. I usually don't go for the whole best buy service plan bull****, but for $30, it didn't sound like a bad deal.

So, I am very pleased thus far... but I've only had about 15 minutes to play with it (can't rock out w/ a baby in the car LOL). For the ride home, I bought Life After Death (Notorious BIG double disc) to replace my funked one that skips on every song... ahhhh the memories.

So, now I still have to consider bass. The 5x7s are okay, but mainly in the 80+hz range. I'm not going to be able to put up w/ just "okay" bass for long.

I've settled my thoughts on getting a separate amp to run the door speakers... I'm going to hold off... this Alpine HU seems to rock them pretty well. I turned on the built-in HP crossover to see how they sounded w/out the low bass... screams!!! So, I'm going to save at least $200 bucks there. I'm sure, down the road, I'll want to add one. But, it's nice knowing I don't have to right now, plus that's more trunk space I get to keep.

So... options for the low end. I'm set on getting the Alpine M450. Everywhere I've read says it's a solid amp, especially given the low price tag. Plus, it should be just enough power to run a mid-range sub to the max. (though, the IDEAL situation would be to have 2 12"s.... but wife ruled that one out... need some storage space)

I wish I could put some different subs in to see how they would sound. Wonder if Best Buy would let me do that? Other stereo shops have let me do that before (one shop even help me stuff a 2 12" bandpass box in my trunk just to hear it).

If I'm going to spend ~200, I'm leaning towards the Alpine Type R or the RF P3 12... both dual 4ohm VC (will wire down to 2ohm for the m450 amp, drawing ~400w).

I could save some money and buy a RF P2 12" ($150). I think it would hit pretty good.

My main concern are the available boxes. Best Buy only has a few boxes available... 1.25^3 sealed/ported for 10" and 12" and 0.65 sealed (for 10").

The infinity ref. 12" is made for a 1.25 sealed box, but my amp would overpower it by a long shot, I think. The punch subs are all made for 1.0^3, which best buy doesn't carry (ooooh wait... I think they carry a 10" 1.0 sealed box online).

Thoughts???? Thanks so far.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
UPDATE!!! I've finalized my sub/amp setup. I'm going w/ the Alpine m450 from best buy and am going to have them install it.

As for the sub... holy ****... I came accross an INSANE deal at cardomain.com. I ended up getting an Infinity Kappa 12" dual 4ohm sub WITH a q-logic 1.0cu.ft. box (which is EXACTLY what infinity recommends) for $157!!!!!! The sub was normally 199, I got it on sale for 120. Plus, they had a special going that you got 40% off ANY enclosure w/ a sub purchase... so the box ended up being ~40. THEN, I did a quick Google search for coupon codes and found a $15 off $150 puchase... so all that totalled up to ~150 w/ FREE SHIPPING!

I'm fawking pumped!!! Got a $200 sub w/ a box, delivered, for $150. YESSSSS!

Hopefully it will be in next week. I think I'm going to mount the amp to the back of the box.

ahsbaseball08

ahsbaseball08

Awards
I wish i had the room todo an install simillar to this, but with the lack of space behind my seat {single cab} and my height.... im stuck with two 10inch cvt's in a dual sealed truckbox with a 1000 kenwood amp. My head unit is kinda weak, bought it from walmart its a pionner mosfet 50x4 but it works, and plays cds so whatever, i just installed some new tweets and door speakers, so it sounds good for the size truck i have, its a toyota tacoma reg cab 2wd. I cant see outta my mirrors when im driving&jammin so i have to be real careful, and people hate when i pull up next to them at stoplights, cause they just stare or yell and tell me to turn it down. Its pretty amussing.

Is this your first system?

sp33dkillz

sp33dkillz

Awards
good choice on the head unit. i've always prefered cerwin vega and JL subs over everything else, and for the money you just can't beat a crossfire amp.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I wish i had the room todo an install simillar to this, but with the lack of space behind my seat {single cab} and my height.... im stuck with two 10inch cvt's in a dual sealed truckbox with a 1000 kenwood amp. My head unit is kinda weak, bought it from walmart its a pionner mosfet 50x4 but it works, and plays cds so whatever, i just installed some new tweets and door speakers, so it sounds good for the size truck i have, its a toyota tacoma reg cab 2wd. I cant see outta my mirrors when im driving&jammin so i have to be real careful, and people hate when i pull up next to them at stoplights, cause they just stare or yell and tell me to turn it down. Its pretty amussing.

Is this your first system?
It would be worth your while to invest in a separte 2 or 4 channel amp for your mids/highs. It makes a night/day difference. 50x4 (@4ohm) and 100x2 (@2ohm) amps are pretty cheap these days.

I used to be that guy at the stop light jammin' two 12"s as loud as I possibly could. But, that was when I was 16. Now, at 27, I don't like other people even thinking I've got some power.

No, this is like my 5th system. This was a small setup to replace my system that got stolen last year (Panasonic HU, 2 10" Kicker CVR, 2 Kicker amps, etc.). That was a bummer.

I'll take some pics of the setup when I get home later tonight.

good choice on the head unit. i've always prefered cerwin vega and JL subs over everything else, and for the money you just can't beat a crossfire amp.
Yeah, I'm diggin' the HU. It's my first Alpine. If I would have had a little extra cash, I would have stepped up to the 9885, mainly for the 4v pre-outs and prettier display, but the 2.5v seem to be doing just fine.

JL subs are teh ****! But, they cost a pretty penny (new... I don't buy used stuff). I had a 15w3 a few years ago in a Jeep Grand Cherokee with only 260w RMS going to it and it rocked the house! I've never had and CV stuff. Also, I've never heard of crossfire.

The best amp I ever had was an Orion Cobalt 465. I used that puppy for at least 7 years. The normal setup was to run the mids/highs off the front channels (@2ohm) and bridge the rear channels the the sub(s).

---------

So, I've got it all installed. I ended up going w/ two amps... an Alpine M450 (mono) and an Alpine F250 (4-ch). With my kicker mids/highs and that Kappa 12" in the back (in a small sealed box stuffed w/ polyfill), I've got good CLEAN sound coming from everywhere!

:bb3:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
enhanced General Chat 5
General Chat 2
IroNwIlL2006 General Chat 0
General Chat 0
General Chat 5