• Plasma

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Okay guys I am having difficulties here. I am more of an LCD lover than anything else and currently have a 40" Samsung LCD, although there is a 42" Samsung Plasma for a little cheaper, but with slightly lower resolution. Anyways, lets here it, I want to see what everyone else thinks and what they like the best.

billm311

billm311

Awards
  • Established
honestly, if you can manage the extra room in the the back, its DLP projection all the way. The picture quality is so crisp and clear, colors look great, you dont have to worry about burn in.

"its the mirrors"

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
I have a 42 in panasonic plasma and I LOVE it...

watching preseason right now on it..:dance:

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I had that debate as well and the guy at the store warned me against plasma. He said there was only a 5 yr given on the plasma technology working. So he was on commision sales and the plasma cost more but he still told me to get the other

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
LCD is getting better and better, samsung have the best LCDs after bravia, so its an even easier choice.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
From what I've read both the plasma and LCD are great TV's. Both have their pro's and cons. For plasma and for the money I believe the panasonic rated the best again I'm not comparing it to a pioneer but similar class TV's.
plasmatvbuyingguide.com and lcdtvbuyingguide.com are both very helpful.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
If you have the room DLP rear projection is the best HD picture you can get.

I live in a tiny apartment so I got an LCD (Samsung) decent, but the LCDs just can't nail the "Black levels" like Plasma.

Another factor is color which I find is move vivid on Lcds, but I would trade brighter colors for better contrast ratio, because the color accuracy gets lost in a washed out picture.

Now for the conspiracy facts(you knew they were coming)

The average human visual perception is such, that to percieve the difference between high definition and standard definition from the average viewing distance(about 10 feet) your screen would have to be at least 6 feet across!

Also what is coming through your digital cable box or digital satellite dish is technically MPEG-4 and not high definition TV, which is only available through the airwaves of a few channels.

Mpeg 4 has over 1100 lines and is progressively scanned, but it is not HDTV which is uncompressed, while Mpeg by definition is a compression algorithm.

Damn another scam

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
Sony's new bravia LCDs are amazing.

I have 2 TV's actually, 52" Sony LCD and Panasonic Plasma. DVDs look better on the LCD, but my 360 looks better on the Plasma, so I use both.

And they're right side by side in my living room :D

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Sony's new bravia LCDs are amazing.

I have 2 TV's actually, 52" Sony LCD and Panasonic Plasma. DVDs look better on the LCD, but my 360 looks better on the Plasma, so I use both.

And they're right side by side in my living room :D
Do you think its because of the lower refresh rate on the LCD??

Squeaks4ver

Squeaks4ver

Awards
  • Established
LSD is better.. the colors are lots more clear and you can taste them!

billm311

billm311

Awards
  • Established
The average human visual perception is such, that to percieve the difference between high definition and standard definition from the average viewing distance(about 10 feet) your screen would have to be at least 6 feet across!
which reminds me, It's slightly off topic, but from now on, given the option, see the movie at the theaters in DLP projection.

I saw Transformers twice, one in DLP, one in regular format. Some movies wont make too much difference, but let me tell you, the clarity was definately better

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a DLP tv and I think it looks great but it could be the size that is more impressive than the actual quality :)

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
+1

I love my sammy dlp

honestly, if you can manage the extra room in the the back, its DLP projection all the way. The picture quality is so crisp and clear, colors look great, you dont have to worry about burn in.

"its the mirrors"

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
it depends on your usage and tastes. LCD gives you crisp bright pictures, but plasma has better color depth. When I was looking it was a tough decision, but I was looking for a big screen TV to replace our 32" Trinitron so I did a little more research and found that Plasma image quality is closest to CRT. The biggest problem with plasma is that you have to be careful not to leave any static images on it for too long or watch stations with lines dividing the screen as they can burn-in. I ended up buying a 50" Toshiba plasma - great TV at an affordable price. Pioneer tops the list of best plasmas, followed by Panasonic, then LG. Apparently the panel in the Toshiba is made by LG and in case you're interested HP Plasma TVs use Panasonic plasma panels.

I also looked at DLP - even purchased one and took it back. I just don't like rear projection and you have to be sitting in the sweet spot for the best view.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
When you watch a plasma don't you see a reflection of what is behind you in the room?

Also isn't it difficult to see plasma picture when you look at it from an angle?

BTW LakeMount am I reading your first post correctly, you already have a new 42" LCD and are thinking about getting a plasma :)

CROWLER

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
When you watch a plasma don't you see a reflection of what is behind you in the room?

Also isn't it difficult to see plasma picture when you look at it from an angle?

BTW LakeMount am I reading your first post correctly, you already have a new 42" LCD and are thinking about getting a plasma :)

CROWLER
I think that depends on the tv, but mine shows no reflection.

The viewing angle is the same as the LCD, IMO.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Yeah I decided to go get the plasma. After more research the Samsung Plasma is 2" larger, has an anti-reflective screen that seemed to be really good, a single pane glass panel to further reduce glare, 15,000:1 contrast ratio, and it's cheaper. It also has anti-burn in technology.

I do love LCD's but I am going to give the plasma a shot. I do recommend everyone look into Samsung though, they have come a LONG WAY. Their black values on LCD's are unbelievable, up there with Sony and Sony is way overpriced. The prices of the Samsung's can't be beaten either. Almost $500 cheaper than the Panasonic's and Pioneer's

CROWLER: Yes, my previous 32" LCD took a dump on me and the warranty covered it so they gave me my money back after almost 2 years of having it lol. So I spent about $150 and got a brand new TV and 10" bigger, what a world we live in ;).

Here is the current TV I have:

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Sweeeeeeeet! :)

Crowler

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I decided to go get the plasma. After more research the Samsung Plasma is 2" larger, has an anti-reflective screen that seemed to be really good, a single pane glass panel to further reduce glare, 15,000:1 contrast ratio, and it's cheaper. It also has anti-burn in technology.

I do love LCD's but I am going to give the plasma a shot. I do recommend everyone look into Samsung though, they have come a LONG WAY. Their black values on LCD's are unbelievable, up there with Sony and Sony is way overpriced. The prices of the Samsung's can't be beaten either. Almost $500 cheaper than the Panasonic's and Pioneer's

CROWLER: Yes, my previous 32" LCD took a dump on me and the warranty covered it so they gave me my money back after almost 2 years of having it lol. So I spent about $150 and got a brand new TV and 10" bigger, what a world we live in ;).

Here is the current TV I have:

dude, how about putting a poster or something on the wall?:lol:

BryanM

Awards
  • Established
Even though its all said and done LCDs have sharper image and plasmas have warmer colors.... for those wondering

+1

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I think I have the same TV, Lake.

Got a Samsung 40" 1080P LCD in Jacksonville a month ago.

Got a damn good price (I gots the hook-up for electronics).

I went with LCD because I felt like it performed better in a brigher environment. My TV is pretty close to the front door.
I do not want serious glare for the noon and 3:30 kickoffs on Saturday's and Sunday's. Hell no.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established