Tips for working midnight shifts

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
Looking for some tips to getting through my stretch of midnight shifts. It has been over a year and a half since i had to work midnight shifts. I worked 6am to 2pm today and go back in tonight from 10pm-6am. I attempted to get a few zzz's when i got home tonight but i was wide awake and still am. When do you guys think it will be best to workout ? Immediatly when i get home at 615 am or quick get to bed and sleep till maybe 1pm-2pm? I absolutly dread midnight shifts !

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
For me, when I've worked 12 hr night shifts, it's easier to lift before work.
I'm just too damn tired when I get off work to lift then.

That's a ****ty T/A of only 8 hrs. The mechanics I work with are unionized - they wouldn't work a short turn-around time like that ever.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I always trained before work when i worked 12 hour night shifts (7p-7a). I used to do (3) 12 hours night shifts a week which wasn't bad as long as they were all grouped together. I worked nights for almost 6 years and i don't care what anyone says you never really get used to it.... you just learn to tolerate it better. The worst part about working nights is trying to readjust yourself on your off days. I would have to force myself to stay awake all day my first day off to get myself back on somewhat of a normal schedule. Needless to say i don't miss night shift that much, but remember.... coffee is your friend. :cheers:

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
when i worked in the e.r. i use to work out then go to work and shower there. if i lift after work i wouldnt be able to sleep.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
when i worked in the e.r. i use to work out then go to work and shower there. if i lift after work i wouldnt be able to sleep.
Yup e.r. here too.....my saving grace was that we were always so fukcing busy the nights flew bye.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
Yup e.r. here too.....my saving grace was that we were always so fukcing busy the nights flew bye.
very true! friday and saturday nights!! and the myth about full moons are true! the strangest cases happen on those nights

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
very true! friday and saturday nights!! and the myth about full moons are true! the strangest cases happen on those nights
Without a doubt the full moon theory is true. Anyone who works in the emergency room can vouche for that. I always found mondays to be the busiest days though.....but hey gotta love all the drunk morons on the weekends. I'll be the first to say you don't want to be the drunk moron that gets brought to the e.r........pissing off the e.r. staff is not wise and i'll leave it at that :D

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
Without a doubt the full moon theory is true. Anyone who works in the emergency room can vouche for that. I always found mondays to be the busiest days though.....but hey gotta love all the drunk morons on the weekends. I'll be the first to say you don't want to be the drunk moron that gets brought to the e.r........pissing off the e.r. staff is not wise and i'll leave it at that :D[/QUOTE

definatley not a good idea to piss off the e.r. staff! i personaly enjoy patients that attempt suicide. who knew tubing could be so fun!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Without a doubt the full moon theory is true. Anyone who works in the emergency room can vouche for that. I always found mondays to be the busiest days though.....but hey gotta love all the drunk morons on the weekends. I'll be the first to say you don't want to be the drunk moron that gets brought to the e.r........pissing off the e.r. staff is not wise and i'll leave it at that :D[/QUOTE

definatley not a good idea to piss off the e.r. staff! i personaly enjoy patients that attempt suicide. who knew tubing could be so fun!
:lol: oh the stories.....

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
I always trained before work when i worked 12 hour night shifts (7p-7a). I used to do (3) 12 hours night shifts a week which wasn't bad as long as they were all grouped together. I worked nights for almost 6 years and i don't care what anyone says you never really get used to it.... you just learn to tolerate it better. The worst part about working nights is trying to readjust yourself on your off days. I would have to force myself to stay awake all day my first day off to get myself back on somewhat of a normal schedule. Needless to say i don't miss night shift that much, but remember.... coffee is your friend. :cheers:
Yes indeed. I have worked from 12 am to 8 am now for around 8 years. I usually workout once I wake up. I try, when kids allow, to sleep as soon as I get home, 6 hrs, then up and at 'em. If not, oh well, just do it on less sleep. The 12 hr shift would kill me.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
LOL its nice to see everyone else is just as bad as me with mids. I hate getting done work... i will stay away the entire first day off just so i can sleep at night. I hate waking up and eating diner instead of breakfast. I cannot believe i worked these shifts full time when i first started.

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
I've worked 3rds for almost 8 years now with no desire to leave it. I can't stand dealing with the higher ups, so I stay on thirds where it's peaceful and I get left alone.

I usually go home, play on the computer to unwind, sleep for 6-8 hours, get up and eat a light breakfast, workout, eat dinner with the family, do a couple of things with my kids and then shower and head off to work.

A good sleep pattern is the hardest thing to nail down on 3rds, I have to make sure I'm asleep in the morning by 9:00 am or I get all screwed up.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've worked 3rds for almost 8 years now with no desire to leave it. I can't stand dealing with the higher ups, so I stay on thirds where it's peaceful and I get left alone.

I usually go home, play on the computer to unwind, sleep for 6-8 hours, get up and eat a light breakfast, workout, eat dinner with the family, do a couple of things with my kids and then shower and head off to work.

A good sleep pattern is the hardest thing to nail down on 3rds, I have to make sure I'm asleep in the morning by 9:00 am or I get all screwed up.
I definately agree not having to deal with the suits is a very big plus working nights.

Otter_Wife

Otter_Wife

Awards
I'm working a midnight shift right now! 1030pm to 6 am. It's really hard because I have a 10 month old son at home that is a momma's boy right now. So Daddy can only keep him occupied for so long until he freaks out for his mommy. I only have to work this twice a month! But it still kicks my ass everytime. Luckily i have AM to keep me busy! They blocked all the games on the computers so AM arcade is the only thing i have! Plus I hate coffee so Mountain Dew is my best friend!