The Bronx is Burning

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I think I saw them filming some of that in downtown New Haven. Their trailers, etc. were setup near my parking garage.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You may very well have. They had a preview last night on ESPN2. They mentioned using a ball park somewhere in Connecticut for their actor/player training and on field action shots.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Yep, I just double-checked it. IMDb has New Haven as one of the filming locations. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0790477/

I was planning on watching the premier after the Homerun Derby, but I may not make it thru as I've been trying to get to bed at a decent hour. :cool:

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Burning PFTTTTTTTTTT It has been over 110 every day in AZ for 10 days now.

Oh you mean it is a movie. Ah never mind. :)

CROWLER

zbtboy

zbtboy

Anabolic Innovations Rep
Awards
  • Established
This looks like it will be a great mini-series. Torturo looks the part of Billy Martin to a T. '77 was before my time but living in upstate NY surrounded by yankee fans all I've been hearing about the past few weeks has been " 1977 this" "1977 that". Damn yankee fans. :D

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Reggie,...Reggie,... Reggie ..... three pitchers, three pitches, three swings , three Home runs !!! Reggie,...Reggie,...Reggie !!!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That gave me goose bumps just remembering that.

"It's in the upper deck!"

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Home of NY Daily News - special section Bronx is Burning - The New York -NYC- summer of 1977 at nydailynews

The summer of 1977 I was 12. It was THE summer of my youth. The black-out, the Son of Sam and of course the Yankees. Not to mention there was a blizzard that year that proceded that summer.

I am looking forward to this series. That was my time, my place, my summer...my Yankees.

My dogs are/were named Nettles and Munson :)
I was 7, B! I grew up and still live in the Bronx! What a great summer that was! When we'd play wiffle-ball, we'd literally come to blows as to who would be Nettles. HAHAHA! Oh and do you remember the conspiracy theory that Reggie Jackson was the Son of Sam? It was because before he was dubbed that, he was called the .44 Caliber Killer and RJ was, of course, #44. My mom drove a 70 Charger and my dad drove a 71 Torino Cobra. Good times.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I grew up in NY and am a huge Yankees fan. I was a baby at the time but my first memories of baseball were the late 70's yanks. I got stuck really taking it in during the Mattingly era, when he was the only Yankee you really wanted to be

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Home of NY Daily News - special section Bronx is Burning - The New York -NYC- summer of 1977 at nydailynews

The summer of 1977 I was 12. It was THE summer of my youth. The black-out, the Son of Sam and of course the Yankees. Not to mention there was a blizzard that year that proceded that summer.

I am looking forward to this series. That was my time, my place, my summer...my Yankees.

My dogs are/were named Nettles and Munson :)
Sounds like a great time and place to grow up. I'm a little jealous. I've never been a Yankees fan, but this series looks good.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was 7, B! I grew up and still live in the Bronx! What a great summer that was! When we'd play wiffle-ball, we'd literally come to blows as to who would be Nettles. HAHAHA! Oh and do you remember the conspiracy theory that Reggie Jackson was the Son of Sam? It was because before he was dubbed that, he was called the .44 Caliber Killer and RJ was, of course, #44. My mom drove a 70 Charger and my dad drove a 71 Torino Cobra. Good times.
Born and raised in Brooklyn. Was just back there to see a game on the 29th against the A's.

A girl friend of mine(s) father owned a gun shop that S of S bought one of his weapons at.

Wiffle ball was the setting of many many good times. MAN!!!

Summer of Sam, the movie, was another great portrayal of that summer as well.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I was very pleased with the first episode. I was really excited for the series because I thought the book by Jonathan Mahler was excellent (being a lifelong Yankee fan definitly added to its lure.) I was skeptical of likeing Daniel Sujata in the role of Reggie because Im a big Rescue Me fan and thought I would catch a carry over of some sort but none what so ever. Im really looking forward to the entirity of this series and hope it provides as much history and maybe some more that the book overlooked.

What did everyone else think. B/Bionic Im really interested to see what you guys thought and how it compared to feelings of the time and if it brought any old memories back fresh?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im really looking forward to the entirity of this series and hope it provides as much history and maybe some more that the book overlooked.

What did everyone else think. B/Bionic Im really interested to see what you guys thought and how it compared to feelings of the time and if it brought any old memories back fresh?
I enjoyed the history telling of this era of Yankees. I was and am a HUGE Munson fan. I get goose bumps watching his character. He was always a quiet guy and it is great to see his 'behind the scenes' contribution and how it intertwined with the whole drama. He was and always will be THE captain. It almost brings a tear to my eye remembering his passing. I wore #15 all my catcher days and named my first boxer Munson :)

The backdrop drama of the city is always interesting. I grew up there, in Brooklyn, and of course as a kid I was a bit ignorant to the issues surrounding the politics. As well the Son of Sam was very much a character in the drama of the city that year.

I look forward to this series. It is always such a joy when I get to see a movie that can capture the whole era or year in time across all aspects of the culture, politics, sports and drama that took place in that great city. The only other one that captures these similar stories simultaneously was Summer of Sam.

I lived it. It is very nostalgic for me.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Crap! I missed it. I'm sure they'll re-play it, though. Just thinking back to that time brings such a calm over me and makes me so happy. Oh and B, I'll tell you what. The one and only autograph I got in my youth was on bat-day at the stadium. It was a Thurman Munson bat and my friend's dad got him to sign it. And my first job EVER was as a P.R. intern at the stadium which I milked from 86-91.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Watched the first episode last night. Pretty good. B and Bionic, how do you guys feel about Reggie? Do you think he's being portrayed fairly? Please give me a summary on how you guys feel about all the Yanks of that era?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well of course we don't really know those guys but I did get a kick out of the Mickey Rivers character.

My dad was a cop in NYC during that time. He has driven him home after pulling him over drunk driving.

I think the Billy Martin role is portrayed pretty good. But again, we don't know him. He ended up getting killed in a single car drunk driving accident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Martin#Death

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Damn, I thought you batted 4th in the line-up behind Munson:blink: No, of course I know that you didn't know them personally, but based on the fact that you grew up in the area and followed the Yankees, I thought you might have some insight.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well by all accounts Jackson had a huge ego and he demonstrated. The nonsense of Steinbrenner pitting him against Martin were true and it was seen quite often. This was mostly in the dugout or in the papers. We did not have the media sensation that we have today back then.

Also remember that I was 12 and my perception of things was not as accurate as it may be today.

It was known that he had and ego that clashed with many, especially Munson and Martin. I do remember that for sure.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Saw it last night and agree totally w/B. I was only 8 at the time and the media wasn't what it is today. I mean, I do remember seeing the infamous dugout fight on the news and in the paper. We all still loved Reggie and his short-run, nasty candy bar, though. He was bragadocious but he backed it up at the plate.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Missed Monday nights episode but caught it in rerun tonight.

I enjoy seeing Munson behind the scenes like this. He was the captain for a reason. As a kid you really have no clue what it really meant to be the captain. You really get an impression of how significant the honor was and how he lived up to that honor.

New York Yankee Captains by Baseball Almanac

Until Munson in 1976 there had not been one since 1941, and that was Lou Gehrig. I really enjoy seeing my baseball hero. He died in 1979 when I was just 14 and I can still remember where I was and the sadness I felt the day I he died. I wore 15 as a catcher that year, the previous two years and every year up into HS. Gosh its been 28 years and I remember it so very clearly.

I like the show but just wish the episodes were of greater length. I'm sure it could be squeezed into a nice two or three hour slot with limited commercial interruption. I look forward to the DVD. Nice piece of NYY history.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
If the Yankees pull it off this year then it will be the year to remember for this generation. Just throw in some whacko killer and find A-Rod in some scuffle with Torre, preferably outside of a strip club :D

I saw one episode. Reggie and Billy never seemed to comfortable, even their introduction was awkward. Each one spoke like 3 words that were followed by the long uncomfortable silence that you experience the first time you're alone with your girlfriends father if you know what I mean.