Thinking about going back for masters

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
I am thinking about going back and getting my masters degree. I am trying to determine what my options are and am up for any advice. My bachelors degree is in Criminal Justice and Psychology. My department will pay for me to get a masters in public administration or criminal justice. The only thing these 2 degrees will do for me is put me in the highly promotable category. How difficult is getting your masters while working full time and working swing shift? I believe my sgt will work with me and let me work day shift on the days i have class.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
WTH...if they're paying for, give it a shot.

I got my MS right after the BS with student loans so I was not having to work full-time. You'll probably have a tough couple years ahead, but would be kicking yourself later if you passed up the opportunity.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am thinking about going back and getting my masters degree. I am trying to determine what my options are and am up for any advice. My bachelors degree is in Criminal Justice and Psychology. My department will pay for me to get a masters in public administration or criminal justice. The only thing these 2 degrees will do for me is put me in the highly promotable category. How difficult is getting your masters while working full time and working swing shift? I believe my sgt will work with me and let me work day shift on the days i have class.
You can do it. Fulltime consideration for master's students is 9 credit hours meaning that the class load is lower then undergrad courses(full time being 12hrs I believe). I've did the master's courses with a full time job, and haven't had much problems, of course theres always some stress at certain moments. It's not half as rough as I thought it would be, and having a boss that's understanding of project due dates and test scores really helps.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys i was thinking about taking 6 credits a semester for the summer, fall and spring semesters. I should have continued on immediatly after i recieved my bachelors.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I had gotten my first M.S. in biochem during my undergrad years due to an accelerated program I was in...I didn't realize how easy I had it. Now I am working full-time and trying to get my dual MBA done and it is quite difficult now.

Totality

Totality

Banned
Awards
It is difficult to get ehile working full time. I got mine first master's doing it this way, and barely saw my wife. I am finishing now in Ed. Admin (1 more class damn it), and working full time.

Listen, if they will pay for it go for it. Its foolish not to