Personal Trainers

1. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Personal Trainers

Recently I have beaten my "must try new supplements addiction".
    I now have a few dollars extra to use per month now...

Anyways I have been thinking about getting a personal trainer at my gym. They are all BB'ing pros so they know what they are doing. I spoke to one today and he couldn't give me much info as he was with a client (who was away for a bit). 150$ for his program and for sessions he would have to find out more about me 1st. Before I go further I'm curious on what the general/standard fee per session/month etc usually costs . I know every trainers is different but I'm curious to see what other people pay. I don't want to walk into a meeting only to find out the price is way above my means.

Of course I would look into hiring Bobo but I'm the type of person who needs someone there in person...

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.94%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i had a free training session at my new gym, and this chick made me so sore after the one hour session. It might be worth a try.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.31%

hey riv! i'll train you.. well, better train myself first.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I believe the trainers at our gym are around $20 a session.
  5. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.17%

Quote Originally Posted by crader View Post
    I hope thats the case here. If its more like 60$ or so then It gets expensive. If its in the $60+ range I will may see if I could just be helped with the parts I find lagging.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.02%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by crader View Post
    Careful there, sometimes it's a case of "you get what you pay for". If $20 is the most one trainer can charge, yet another gets $100+, there might be a reason for that.

Check out their credentials, degrees, certifications. Asking for testamonials can be very helpful also.
  7. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.17%

Quote Originally Posted by CRUNCH View Post
    Careful there, sometimes it's a case of "you get what you pay for". If $20 is the most one trainer can charge, yet another gets $100+, there might be a reason for that.

Check out their credentials, degrees, certifications. Asking for testamonials can be very helpful also.
    Been looking online and it seems like the going rate is 60-100$ per session which is just too much for me to be spending at the moment. I wonder what the going rate is for a "spotter"
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.02%
    Achievements Posting Pro

You don't always have to hire them for multiple sessions. You could do just one, and have them write you a workout and nutrition plan and teach you how to go about everything. Then maybe meet with them once a month to check progress.
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.62%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I've found that trainers are good for someone who does not know anything about exercising and needs to learn the basics. The trainers at my gym do things out of the book and probably everything they learned in the classroom, but in my expierence after you know the basics different routines on the internet and talking to other people gets you further in your training than the run of the mill trainers at the gym.
  10. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.17%

Quote Originally Posted by CRUNCH View Post
    You don't always have to hire them for multiple sessions. You could do just one, and have them write you a workout and nutrition plan and teach you how to go about everything. Then maybe meet with them once a month to check progress.
    That's a good idea....
  11. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.17%

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperX View Post
    I've found that trainers are good for someone who does not know anything about exercising and needs to learn the basics. The trainers at my gym do things out of the book and probably everything they learned in the classroom, but in my expierence after you know the basics different routines on the internet and talking to other people gets you further in your training than the run of the mill trainers at the gym.
    These aren't run of the mill trainers. One of them has won multiple shows and has 22'' arms . The other guys are a lil smaller with 19-20'' and have all won shows. Even the woman trainer has gotten 1st place in local shows and has probably the same muscle mass as me or more (without the fat). I'm lucky to train at a gym where lot of of professional BB'er work out at. You get to see people with their Pro card train and its also how I figure out what to do in my routine. One guy there has been on quite a few magazine covers too Hmmm at my last gym people would ask me if I was a trainer and at the one Ive been at for a few years Ive heard the comment "you must be a hard gainer" haha even tho I had gained around 8lbs of muscle that year. This place could give you "bigorexia"!!

I agree however, I have been at regular fitness gyms and most of the trainers there well I wouldn't bother with them. I could probably show them a few things...
  12. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.68%

I would say go for it. It's a wise investment if the trainer is sound and has that kind of experience. Most trainers I know don't know anything more then the basics and that core training is important, lol. This is why I'm the top trainer at my club

I see a lot of wannabe meatheads at the gym. They come in think their huge when really their sitting huge with 25%bf. They always look like $hit with zero definition and want to call themselves bodybuilders, lol. THey also think trainers don't know anything. These are the guys who stay 25%, never change, and end up doing half the exercises wrong and tearing a rotator cuff or worse. Don't let pride or ego get in your way. These guys with the proper credentials are professionals give them thier due respect.
  13. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.23%

Quote Originally Posted by jminis View Post
    I would say go for it. It's a wise investment if the trainer is sound and has that kind of experience. Most trainers I know don't know anything more then the basics and that core training is important, lol. This is why I'm the top trainer at my club

I see a lot of wannabe meatheads at the gym. They come in think their huge when really their sitting huge with 25%bf. They always look like $hit with zero definition and want to call themselves bodybuilders, lol. THey also think trainers don't know anything. These are the guys who stay 25%, never change, and end up doing half the exercises wrong and tearing a rotator cuff or worse. Don't let pride or ego get in your way. These guys with the proper credentials are professionals give them thier due respect.
    Take some time and watch the trainers work. If you see one with a style and abilaty you like, get after it.
    My The 1 LOG: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/254164-my-one-log.html
  14. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.1%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I would also like to chime in and say that size does not determine the trainer's abilities and talents. If it did, then I would be a really bad trainer...
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.17%

Quote Originally Posted by motiv8er View Post
    Take some time and watch the trainers work. If you see one with a style and abilaty you like, get after it.
    Thats what I did. The one guy I have talked to seems to have "fun" with his clients. I know one of them Is way too serious and I would end up hating training.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I would also like to chime in and say that size does not determine the trainer's abilities and talents. If it did, then I would be a really bad trainer...
    Agreed, Just saying that they weren't the typical lazy looking trainers you see in some gyms. But I have seen the progress of their clients and its not bad...

Quote Originally Posted by jminis View Post
    At my gym Im surrounded by people who are pretty damn big and lean. I'm happy I don't have a gym ego. I'm the one doing light inclines but with full rom

I may take Crunch's idea and get a few sessions in. I just need a lil boost in my chest and arms. My back and legs have way surpassed them. I get compliments all the time on my squat and on the size of my back.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Bobo... Personal trainer?
    By tommyboy in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 10:35 PM
  2. Question for personal trainers
    By Mr.Striation in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-03-2004, 07:31 PM
  3. How To I become a Personal Trainer?
    By HauseKat in forum General Chat
    Replies: 26