I think I sprained my ankle

AM07

Awards
  • Established
I was playing some pickup basketball games last night, and I went up for a rebound and came down on my foot wrong and seemed to have twisted it. Well, it hurt for a bit, but when I went home, it was basically fine.

I woke up this morning, and I can barely walk on my right foot. I did a little bit of research online, and it seems that the anterior talofibular ligament is the most commonly sprained ligament, but I won't know the decisive answer until I go to the hospital this evening.

How long does it typically take to recover from a sprained ankle, and what will the doctor do at the hospital? Will I have to wear a boot? How long can I expect to be out of the gym for? I was planning on doing legs today, but after injuring my foot last night, I knew I wouldn't be able to do it for a couple days, but after this morning, I know for a fact I'll be out of commission for AT LEAST two weeks.

Lightning

Awards
It depends on the severity of the sprain. I've been plagued by ankle problems for years. The doctor will take an xray and advise you on what to do. Try to stay off it as much as possible. Err on the side of caution when resuming leg workouts.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
It depends on the severity of the sprain. I've been plagued by ankle problems for years. The doctor will take an xray and advise you on what to do. Try to stay off it as much as possible. Err on the side of caution when resuming leg workouts.
Since you've had ankle problems for years, do you still do squats and deadlifts?

Lightning

Awards
Since you've had ankle problems for years, do you still do squats and deadlifts?
Absolutely, my ankle woes have never occured in the gym. It's usually from playing baseball and Basketball.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Absolutely, my ankle woes have never occured in the gym. It's usually from playing baseball and Basketball.
But does your ankle ever become irritated from all the pressure put on them during squats and deadlifts?

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
i've rolled/sprained/broke my ankle a few times before to the point where i think it causes me to walk kinda weird, but i feel no pain or stress or anything when i am walking or lifting, even squats and stuff. just let it heal some and you'll be good to go again