I know we have a few personal trainers on the board...

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
And a few guys and gals who use personal trainers...and I'm sure others who know quite a bit.

Out of the countless different CPT certifications out there, which do you guys recomend getting?

Here are a few I have found. I already have my opinions on the better ones, but this is a list of practically every certification available:

Aerobic and Fitness Association of America (AFAA)

American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)

American Council on Exercise (ACE)

International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA)

National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM)

National Council of Strength & Fitness (NCSF)

National Federation of Professional Trainers (NFPT)

National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)

National Exercise and Sports Trainer Association (NESTA)

International Fitness Professional Association (IFPA)

And also, if anyone can shed some light on RDT or Nutritionist programs, I would appreciate it...

Just trying to make a final decisions...

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Sorry, DTR...Dietetic Technician, Reigstered.

tattoopierced1

There is also NCSF, I just got mine and I think Rodja has that one as well.

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
There is also NCSF, I just got mine and I think Rodja has that one as well.
Rodja has NSCA...and I am curious to read some opinions too. I have been thinking about something like this for a few months now as well.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja has NSCA...and I am curious to read some opinions too. I have been thinking about something like this for a few months now as well.
I went with NSCA because of their reputation and credibility. Also, their research journals are fantastic. Every gym that have interviewed at says that NSCA and ACSM are the two highest regarded certifications (although NASM is kinda catching up).

tattoopierced1

I went with NSCA because of their reputation and credibility. Also, their research journals are fantastic. Every gym that have interviewed at says that NSCA and ACSM are the two highest regarded certifications (although NASM is kinda catching up).
sorry about that man... I know there is another person on here with their NCSF...cant remember who though.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
jminis has his NASM cert. if I remember correctly.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
At the gym i worked at back home, all the trainers said ACE was the best.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
At the gym i worked at back home, all the trainers said ACE was the best.
Ace isn't bad, but it's not the best. Like Rodja mentioned, the NSCA and ACSM are the two best ones. Those two set most of the guidelins that many of the others follow. I've been certified by ACE and the NSCA (CSCS) but dropped them both. I hated doing the CEU's, they never taught me a thing, usually took up an entire Saturday or weekend, and cost a small fortune. I've got a masters in ex phys and biomechanics, between that and keeping up on current research, I've got everything I need (I think anyway).

I believe the CSCS still requires at least a four year degree in a fitness related field, not sure about their CPT. I think the ACSM is the same.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Neither CPT program require more than a HS diploma...

Its the other certs that require the 2 or 4 year degree.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Ok...I couldn't remember. I just returned your PM too, a little more info.

What are you looking to do? A training job at a club, independant contract, your own biz training at people's houses? Let me know if I can help, I've done pretty much everything there is to do in the personal training field.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
ACSM and CSCS do require a degree. Bear in mind that the ACSM is a very rigid test, as is the CSCS.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
ACSM...

Minimum requirements

A high school diploma or equivalent AND
Current Adult CPR certification that has a practical skills examination component (such as the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross)

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Which ACSM cert is it? They used to have six different ones, three that were on a medical tract, and three that were on a fitness type track.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I said that above...I was talking about the CPT cert...

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
Best bet is ACSM followed by NSCA.

I cant fully respect NASM until they completely remove online testing.

And a few guys and gals who use personal trainers...and I'm sure others who know quite a bit.

Out of the countless different CPT certifications out there, which do you guys recomend getting?

Here are a few I have found. I already have my opinions on the better ones, but this is a list of practically every certification available:

Aerobic and Fitness Association of America (AFAA)

American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)

American Council on Exercise (ACE)

International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA)

National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM)

National Council of Strength & Fitness (NCSF)

National Federation of Professional Trainers (NFPT)

National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)

National Exercise and Sports Trainer Association (NESTA)

International Fitness Professional Association (IFPA)

And also, if anyone can shed some light on RDT or Nutritionist programs, I would appreciate it...

Just trying to make a final decisions...

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Honestly though, if you're just looking at making some money on the side, go with ace or Nasm...

Skyblue

Skyblue

Awards
I'm actually looking into a certification, and I was told acsm was good by the trainers at my gym, does anyone know if its a really hard exam? would it be worth the time and money !?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm actually looking into a certification, and I was told acsm was good by the trainers at my gym, does anyone know if its a really hard exam? would it be worth the time and money !?
If you want to make a career out of PT'ing , then, yes, it is worth it to get the better certifications.

Skyblue

Skyblue

Awards
I'm not really thinking about that as a career, however as a fallback position or job it would be my first choice. Do you reckon if I put in thirty minutes a day of intense studying after a month id be ready for the test?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not really thinking about that as a career, however as a fallback position or job it would be my first choice. Do you reckon if I put in thirty minutes a day of intense studying after a month id be ready for the test?
Depends how much knowledge you have now and how well you can retain information. I studied for about a month for my exam for the NSCA-CPT. Every certification varies on what information they put on the test. My test had an emphasis on exercise physiology and program design; not too sure what the actual content of the ACSM's test is.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Best bet is ACSM followed by NSCA.

I cant fully respect NASM until they completely remove online testing.

You dont test online with NASM. You have to go to a private testing site where they monitor you.