US visa with criminal record

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Some travelers are not eligible by law to enter the United States. These include people with certain serious communicable illnesses, criminal records (particularly those involved with drugs), previous deportations from the U.S., certain visa refusals and other problems with U.S. immigration laws or visas.
I have the most minor drug conviction, was wondering how serious the US is with this, is it just something you gotta keep re-applying for until your lucky enough to get someone who doesnt care or do they usually look past it, or shouldnt I bother at all?

Zombie

Zombie

Awards
  • Established
im not really sure about this but, was that incident consider a misdemeanor or a felony? i think if you have a misdemeanor your still elegible but if its a felony well its very very dificult almost not likely to get a visa unless it some one miss that on your aplication

****Im not a lawyer or someone thats has a lot of knowledge in this matter this is what i think and have know for anecdotal info

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I think it was a felony.
My lawyer said I might have trouble travelling particuarly to the states, and he said it all depends on the person issuing the visa. So I am wondering what my odds are.
I dont have a clue how I am ment to figure this out without applying but I dont wanna organise a trip there and find out I get denied then haveto reschedual everything.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
If you got a conviction for beating up hippies then the US will gladly let you in :D If you've been convicted for selling juice or caught with narcotics then you're SOL.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
It depends what the issue was and how long ago it happened. Your country of origin also matters (visa applicants from oh say Iraq would get closer scrutiny than someone from Canada). It might also depend upon what type of visa you're seeking. Some visas have a greater incidence of abuse (i.e. people not going back to their countries of origin when the visa expires) and "undesirable aliens" (those with the characteristics you cite in your first post) are not ones our govt. wants to overstay their visas.

Apply for the visa and book your trip once you have it in hand.