Done with finals but tomorrow is a more difficult test!

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
well, im finished with all my classes that were necessary for my BBA in finance, so ill have my degree shortly! now that im graduating, my excpeted services term with the US government expires next month:frustrate

the good news is that i test out tomorrow to be an agent for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and id be excited to accept this position (ive always wanted a badge and a gun without being a police officer). i received a test preparation manual and going over everything has fried my brain. the questions are so unique and require EXTREME attention to detail. i scored a 90% on the practice which should land me the job but i didnt do it within the recommended time. oh well, tomorrow is the real test, and im a bit nervous.

has anyone taken any type of federal government standardized testing for an agency? if so, how was it? any tips? wish me luck!

oh, and this might be me in the future --->:numbered:

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I've taken state exams to certify that I'm not a retard who knows less than the students LOL. They're like many other tests so as long as you're prepared you'll be okay :) Do you by any chance have test anxiety ?

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
I've taken state exams to certify that I'm not a retard who knows less than the students LOL. They're like many other tests so as long as you're prepared you'll be okay :) Do you by any chance have test anxiety ?
thanks for dropping by IW. no, i dont have test anxiety and i actually feel very well prepared this morning. this test seems like an entirely different approach altogether. i can type up a sample question to give you an idea. anyways, im off to ace this bad boy!!!

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
i feel that the testing went pretty well! the whole test focused on logic and attention to detail and took about 75 minutes for 30 questions. way more thinking than i wanted to do for each question.

there were 11 of us testing and 5 were ex military so iknow they get a 5 or 10 point preference. hopefully my intelligence will outshine this curve. results and hiring opportunities will be received in 4-6 weeks:hammer:

kuddos to the government for putting together this type of testing:fool2:

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
testing sucks..... my finals are in a few weeks..... :(

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
testing sucks..... my finals are in a few weeks..... :(
Best of luck to you.

A little unsolicited advice to all of you in school. Enjoy it. Testing sucks but once you're out of school work is a series of never-ending tests.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Best of luck to you.

A little unsolicited advice to all of you in school. Enjoy it. Testing sucks but once you're out of school work is a series of never-ending tests.
This old man is back in school to get some certifications. I am working towards my MCSE now. I am taking the first course and near the end. I should get Microsoft Certification soon. You are an MCP when you get pass your first Microsoft test, but I have to pass 5 others to get MCSE certified. Microsoft tests are extremely detailed. I should be studying, but I'm on here...

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
This old man is back in school to get some certifications. I am working towards my MCSE now. I am taking the first course and near the end. I should get Microsoft Certification soon. You are an MCP when you get pass your first Microsoft test, but I have to pass 5 others to get MCSE certified. Microsoft tests are extremely detailed. I should be studying, but I'm on here...
I need to go back to school or something. It's been nine years since I received my doctorate. I need to feel intellectually challenged again.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I need to go back to school or something. It's been nine years since I received my doctorate. I need to feel intellectually challenged again.
I do really enjoy being in school. This is more a training facility/computer and networking shop. There are a few young'uns and I am the oldest. Oh well though, I only bs with the teacher, not other students.

zbtboy

zbtboy

Anabolic Innovations Rep
Awards
  • Established
just do what everyone else does on the MCSE exams...CHEAT. There are some sites were you can get the actual questions and answers and i've seen people burn through those tests in less than two weeks. :)

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
just do what everyone else does on the MCSE exams...CHEAT. There are some sites were you can get the actual questions and answers and i've seen people burn through those tests in less than two weeks. :)

They say they are the actual questions but I wouldn't believe it. Anyway I don't want to cheat, I really want to learn this stuff. Most of it I find interesting, some of it boring. Some guys only take it because they have to take it for their job or something. I am taking them because I want to learn and want a good job. As far as burning through the tests in less than six weeks, well I must be really slow!. I have been taking this one class for at least 6 months!. I don't really remember when I started!. I pass the practice tests that I take with my software at home fine, which is LearnKey, also most other practice tests I pass. Its the Transcender tests that I take at school that are difficult for me. The questions are just so damn specific and paragraphs long with details that have nothing to do with the answer that you need to weed out!.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
Best of luck to you.

no I'd rather be in work instead of school.... work is a never ending series of paychecks and no homework.....

I dont know what kind of school people are going to that they enjoy school more...but my 40 hr. week school plus many hw hr.s suck.......

my dad's a dentist and he enjoys work much more than school.....told me that school is harder than work and life.....

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
wow you have your doctorate and you still want more. props to you buddy.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
wow you have your doctorate and you still want more. props to you buddy.
Just a midlife crisis is all. I'm a little trapped by circumstances and wishing I wasn't. You know, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i always thought the word "tort" was a dirty word. you pervert

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
Juris Doctor (American law degree) with special concentration in Comparative and International Law.
wow, thats impressive! im sure lots of hard work went into that. congrats on your success! any desire to become a judge or Surpreme Court official?:hammer:

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
thats awesome bro. so could you teach at a law school?
Yes I could. Although my area of expertise (at this point) is actually employment and labor law.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
wow, thats impressive! im sure lots of hard work went into that. congrats on your success! any desire to become a judge or Surpreme Court official?:hammer:
This somehow veered-off into a discussion of me. I apologize. This thread is actually about you.

What is it about ICE that attracts you to working there?

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
This somehow veered-off into a discussion of me. I apologize. This thread is actually about you.

What is it about ICE that attracts you to working there?
no problem, your career is really interesting though.

well, im employed with the federal government currently and wish to remain internal with our government. i have a desk job now where im sittin at a desk behind a computer all day. i would much rather participate in activities that are physically active, which brought my attention to the department of homeland security. ICE isnt specifically attractive to me but the generalization of investigative active work in the field as oppose to the office is much more appealing. ive considered applying to officer school as well for the air force. these types of jobs are unrelated to my education though so im still trying to figure out what i wanna do.

for anyone else who originally hated a full time office job: does the perception of a desk job change over time? im thinkin i just hate it now because im full of energy but restricted to doing work on a computer. any thoughts?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think you might be confused. No one can get through MCSE tests in less than 2 weeks. There are boot camps for MCSE but even those are at least 2 months. You don't really learn anything that way either, just drive it into your brain and spit it out.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
for anyone else who originally hated a full time office job: does the perception of a desk job change over time? im thinkin i just hate it now because im full of energy but restricted to doing work on a computer. any thoughts?
Well, I always had jobs where I got paid to get coated in chemicals, lift things, saw things, etc. so getting my first office job was heaven. It was clean, quiet and I didn't have to worry about getting hurt.

As I got older, what I realized was that I really wanted a job where I got to exercise independent judgment, use my mind to solve problems and be working on behalf of a cause that I believed in. It was from this that I derived satisfaction.

I'd suggest that the location isn't all that important (unless it's an extreme in either comfort or discomfort) but rather whether the job satisfies your core needs.

Here, you've gestured at wanting a job that allows you to take action, perform investigations, be in the field. It seems that you derive job satisfaction from being an active problem solver (seeking out solutions rather than working upon problems coming to you). I'd spend some time reflecting upon what gives you job satisfaction and use that as your guidepost as you move through your career,

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
Here, you've gestured at wanting a job that allows you to take action, perform investigations, be in the field. It seems that you derive job satisfaction from being an active problem solver (seeking out solutions rather than working upon problems coming to you). I'd spend some time reflecting upon what gives you job satisfaction and use that as your guidepost as you move through your career,
:goodpost: that is excellant advice! to utilize my degree, i would enjoy being a business consultant or some type of analyst, but these positions usually arent available for students fresh out of college. i recently became interested in neurology and do a lot of self teaching by reading anything i can in the field. i considered training to be a PA that specializes in this field but training is $42,000! i also dont wanna be in debt for years to come unless it is my mortgage.

this is where the military comes in handy. i can serve my country and they will pay for this type of training. its almost a win-win situation depending on how much i enjoy the military.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
alright firends, my results came and i scored a 94 out of a possible 100! i feel good about it, and ICE has numerous vacancies, so im currently being considered for employment. the only downside is that veterans get a 10 point preferance so they can score as high as 110:whiner: oh well, hopefully, the DHS will be contacting me shortly:study: