Get rid of penalty kick's/shootouts in sports

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Well my beloved Chelsea Football Club was eliminated from the UEFA champions league yesterday... on penalty kicks.

I really think that they should ditch all forms of this in all sports. As it stands, Liverpool advanced because they beat Chelsea at a soccer game, however all they beat them at was some queer little drill. A PK shootout in no way represents the events of a real game and in no way shows who the better soccer team is.

Whatever. Liverpool did beat them under the current rules, and that’s all that counts. Hats off to ya, hope you get your ass beat by AC Milan in the final.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Soccer fan, huh? It's funny how I've been a big fan for years and since I moved to US I don't hardly follow it anymore.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Soccer fan, huh? It's funny how I've been a big fan for years and since I moved to US I don't hardly follow it anymore.
Where are you from and what teams do you follow?

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
I'm from Russia and I usually followed russian league, but always enjoyed watching UEFA, Milan was my favorite team.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
The shootout in hockey is very cool and only used in regular season. Once playoffs start, it's sudden death OT :)

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
I love penalty kicks(oh, the pressure), I don't think it's fair, but the problem with soccer is you can play forever till you get a goal, so if you wanna play sudden death in overtime someone actually might die for real before someone will score.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I love penalty kicks(oh, the pressure), I don't think it's fair, but the problem with soccer is you can play forever till you get a goal, so if you wanna play sudden death in overtime someone actually might die for real before someone will score.

Then allow unlimited subs in extra time

PS- the fact that Man U lost is almost enough to counteract the chelsea defeat, but not quite.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Whatever. Liverpool did beat them under the current rules, and that’s all that counts. Hats off to ya, hope you get your ass beat by AC Milan in the final.
... :D

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Hey, tell me how it went in details if you would, I couldn't watch it.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Liverpool pretty much controlled possession in the first half, but didnt score any goals. In the 45th minute Xabi Alonzo fouled Kaka and Inzaghi (sp?) deflected the free kick to score. Liverpool pretty much controlled the game in the second half as well. Inzaghi scored again on what was pretty much a breakaway late (near the 80th minute or so) due to the all out Liverpool attack, maiking it 2-0. Crouch was left on the bench untill about this point (I'm not quite sure why). Kuyt scored in the 89th minute for Liverpool. It ended 2-1 Milan.

One comentator on ESPN said he thought the first Milan goal was a handball, but it looked fine to me.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I still cant understand what the liverpool coach was thinking with Crouch. Its as bad as when Pedro stayed in for the sox in the ALCS a few years ago, except this one put a smile on my face.

EDIT- I dont follow liverpool so I dont know why Crouch didnt start. He didnt appear to be injured, and I would hope you would rest your leading scorer for the biggest sporting event that will take place this year.

billm311

billm311

Awards
  • Established
I'd have to disagree vehemently. I think the shootout in hockey is terrible. I understand the reasoning, they dont want multiple overtime games, as it puts a lot of stress on players and the tv channels.

But to decide a game by shootout I think is a bad solution. would rather see 2 overtimes, then result in a tie, where neither team gets the additonal point (both teams leave with 1 point earned in standings).

I use to be a huge fan of hockey, but I loved the old physical game. I dont like the new penalty rules, too many sissies skating around and running the league nowadays.

The shootout in hockey is very cool and only used in regular season. Once playoffs start, it's sudden death OT :)