The Official "I Train Legs Twice a Year Thread"

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ill admit it. Ill get a wild hair up my ass every once in a while and do squats but it is hardly ever. who elses has got the balls to admit it!!!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
dynomite, I hope you brought your flame retardant clothing:)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I did skip a leg work-out about 4-5 weeks ago due to personal reason's. I'll stop training legs the day I have to have them amputated :)

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
hey i give you guys props no doubt. but you know you hardly ever see those squat racks in use. i am just curious who is gonna have the guts to admit what i did.

still no confessions.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
What? My gym needs a second Power Cage. If I'm not hogging it for 30-40mins doing squats then somebody else is!

cromwell

Awards
hey i give you guys props no doubt. but you know you hardly ever see those squat racks in use. i am just curious who is gonna have the guts to admit what i did.

still no confessions.
I'm getting back into MMA and trying to get down to 170, so like I can't train legs because I "won't make weight". Also all that effort for squats detacts from my endless sets of 20ib curls.
Seriously, i have'nt lifted much at all for the past years (injuries, travel, serious life crap) and have limited equipment. But I do train legs the best I can, actually for my sport it's very relevant(not so much size as strength and flexability) Hey speaking of confessions, I watched one kid train and he can actually curl more weight than he can squat in good form. If that's you, you may want to reconsider your training program
Oh, yeah, I forgot my abnormally large Irish penis gets in the way, so I can't do Box squats.
peace

300Fan

Awards
Ill admit its funny seeing a guy with a built upper body and lil legs. Idk what they are thinking sometimes.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ill admit its funny seeing a guy with a built upper body and lil legs. Idk what they are thinking sometimes.
Bathroom mirrors stop at about waist level. Just a guess.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established

still no confessions.
Honestly I hardly ever see people doing squats in my gym. A lot of people train legs, just with leg extensions and Hammer Strength stuff.

I really have to do my squats every week though -even if Im slacking off Ill grab a dumbell and do high rep squats at home.

BV

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I find training legs to be not only physically rewarding but mentally because it seems that the weights are always going up. Squats benefits in other areas other than just legs are way to big to pass up (numerouse seondary muscles involved, the release of certain hormones that benefit other recovering muscle groups, and others.) I mean unless someone cant do them for injury reasons or because some way they detract from a goal I cant see why people would willingly not want to squat.

And dont forget the most important reason, impressing those girls who like a man who can handle seriouse weight. :afro: j/p.

Train Them Legs!!!

cgcrz8

Awards
I have naturally muscular legs and a weak upper body. When I did train them I ripped a pair of jeans in the thigh. So I only train them once in a while until my upper can catch up.

Dagron

Dagron

Awards
Legs are my favorite group to work, nothing beats the light headed feeling you get from most of the blood in your body being in your lower body after some high rep quad work :squat:

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
For the past 5 weeks I've started EVERY workout with a set of front squats and a set of deadlifts, and my overall results have been AMAZING.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
At my old gym..nobody did squats except for me. I don't even push impressive numbers at all but I seemed to scare people when I would do 275.

I thought that was bad until I started using this new gym on the other side of town. Apparently, it's favored by all the highschool guys and their BB.com t-shirts give away a lot. They all do squats...load up the bar with 235...and go about 1/4 of the way down making lots of noise the entire time. I just want to huck a dumbell at them to shut them up.

Due to back injury 3 years ago, I had to take lots of time off of doing deads and squats. I concentrated on the leg press instead and steadily built my way up to 1000#. I gotta say it's helped my overal gradual return to squatting and deading a lot.

I always hated leg days but after sticking with it and making progress, I now like them.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
squats are a great exercise but a lot of people don't do them for one of two reasons. One: injury or joint issues, two: there just so damn hard. I don't mind squats but can't do them every week due to knee issues. Some weeks me knees feel great and I'll knock out 4-5 sets to start my leg day while other weeks I'm barely able to push myself on the leg press. All in all I still train legs every week.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
little legs make my **** look bigger
Don't bother asking for it because I don't remember where I saw it (and this was like 5 years ago that I saw this), but I've read that men who regularly perform squats are less likely to have erectile dysfunction.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Leg workouts are the best of all. I look forward to working legs. Squats are my 2nd favorite exercise. Deadlifts are my favorite.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Leg workouts are the best of all. I look forward to working legs. Squats are my 2nd favorite exercise. Deadlifts are my favorite.
The endorphin rush when I'm done with a heavy set of squats or deadlifts is monumental. It makes me feel like I could kick the asses of Mike Ditka, Bruce Lee, and Chuck Norris simultaneously.
:bruce2:

Sparta2

Sparta2

Awards
Nothin' like deep squats to rev up the ole' testosterone. I've loved doing these since I began training almost 30 years ago. I used to love looking at pictures of Tom Platz in Muscle and Fitness and then squating hard. That dude's legs looked like they were made of steel cables. I also was never fond of the light bulb look a bodybuilder gets who develops a huge upper body with small legs. Hard yes, but squats build muscle like no other exercise-- except maybe deadlifts which I also love.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Don't bother asking for it because I don't remember where I saw it (and this was like 5 years ago that I saw this), but I've read that men who regularly perform squats are less likely to have erectile dysfunction.
No doubt leg training keeps the blood moving to the lower half of your body - millions of American's sit on their ass all day every day for decades with no exercise at all. It's no wonder their hardware is disfunctional.

Heavy squats and deads every week is a bit too much for my lower back though, so I usually deadlift every other week.

I have naturally muscular legs and a weak upper body. When I did train them I ripped a pair of jeans in the thigh. So I only train them once in a while until my upper can catch up.
LOL bro why are you doing squats in tight jeans?

BV

nvr2loud

nvr2loud

Awards
  • Established
I train lower body once a week and calfs twice a weeks. I prefer to have all my muscles in proportion to one another rather than one standing out over the rest.
It's is kind of funny, I see people all the time with a bigger upper body and skinny ass legs. Even most the "fat" people I see with a big gut, etc. have skinny ass legs. Looks wierd.
I feel squats help you get stronger overall.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I love how the title of this thread could have been "Why Do You Train Legs" and would have turned out the same exact way. Ha

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I rarely train legs and it's due to a very bad lower back that cripples me for days if I hit legs hard. I have found I can somewhat use extensions and curls and not nearly kill myself as much.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
that's they only part of me that i dont mind training.... i absolutely hate training my arms, chest and back.....

i rarely skip leg days....

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
that's they only part of me that i dont mind training.... i absolutely hate training my arms, chest and back.....

i rarely skip leg days....
I think more women need to learn to train their legs. Too often (at my gym) I'll see a girl do a the adductor, the abductor, Leg extensions, and hit the lockerroom. Makes me want to vomit on her.

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
That is me exactly....I do train calves frequently but hardly ever squat...I already have to cut slits in the thighs of my boxers

sweet-physique

sweet-physique

Awards
  • Established
I train legs every 6th day. I squat 90 percent of the time on leg day. Once in a blue moon I'll substitute leg press or hack squat machine but this is maybe once every 6-7 weeks just to shock the muscle.

I prefer full squats with moderate weight and higher reps with more sets. Generally I'll do 10-12 sets and keep the rep range 15-8 working up from 225 to 315.

I have a real high quad sweep with good seperation so I am anxiously awaiting for the shorts from the 70s and 80s to come back in style so I can show off :afro:

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
I'll see a girl do a the adductor, the abductor, Leg extensions, and hit the lockerroom. Makes me want to vomit on her.
heey! i do leg extensions! i also do hamstrings, leg press and this one other machine thingy... i forget what its called but its for buns

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
heey! i do leg extensions! i also do hamstrings, leg press and this one other machine thingy... i forget what its called but its for buns
The one where you lean forward on the machine and push back with one leg?

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I didn't train legs for a month after having my knee scoped, even then it was ligght leg-presses for about another month. Last week I started training heavy again, and woo-boy! My legs are still a bit sore 1 wk later.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
The one where you lean forward on the machine and push back with one leg?
yep that machine.... hate that one

squats.... i would, my legs are strong enough to, i leg press 360 lbs about 30-40 times ...its just im scared of free weights...

i have really weak arms (im working on them...) and i just feel really awkward trying to do anything with my arms and back even if its just holding bar.... wimp i know...

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
i know there are more people like this who don't admit that they don't train legs.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Actually the worse is when people use the squat rack for barbell curls. I take that very personally.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
I almost never skip a leg day. Even if my week is real hectic and I have to miss a day of training I always make sure it isn't legs. Even if the squat rack or leg area is always empty doesn't give anyone the right to skip out on it too. There's nothing I enjoy more in the gym, than taking out all of my anger and agression on some heavy squats! I might walk funny for the next week, but it's all worth it!

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
Heavy Squats are a staple, as are heavy deadlifts. No matter what type of routine I'm doing I always try to keep some heavy compound movements. No better way to get bigger than Squats, Deads, Military Press, Incline BB Bench IMO.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
I train them twice per week.

Monday is heavy, and thursday is volume.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
I train them twice per week.

Monday is heavy, and thursday is volume.
I always hear different people splitting it up like that but I just can't hit them twice a week. My leg day was Saturday and my legs are so sore right now I know I won't feel 100% till atleast friday. DOMS like a byotch after an intense leg day for me.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Skip SQUATs!?!:wtf:

I've got a Custom Monolift stand, Competition Squat Bar & collars, and 100lb plates. Only time i miss squating is when i deload or have no training partners. Otherwise its twice a week. Once fast and once Heavy.

I do however forget to do curls and abs nearly all the time.

here's a little motivation for ya
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-S4YOHw6_8"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
Ill admit when I first started off, I was told how important it is to squat and DL. The reason I never squatted at first was A) I started working out because it was required for class ( weight room and they barely had leg machines ) and B) I didn't know how to.

When my buddy showed me how to do it, I kinda felt weird by holding up the bar and all. It wasnt comfortable when I first started. Reguardless, because of the importance of the exercise I did them anyway week after week. I love them now. Can't miss my leg days where I hit Deadlifts heavy then my squats. :)

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
sometimes after a heavy set on squats or deads everything around me gets quiet, sort of like my ears are ringing but without the ring.. anybody else get that?

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
sometimes after a heavy set on squats or deads everything around me gets quiet, sort of like my ears are ringing but without the ring.. anybody else get that?
I feel like Im about to black out after a heavy set of DL. I would need to sit down. I know what you mean by the ringing feeling. Ive experienced that before too as well.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I feel like Im about to black out after a heavy set of DL. I would need to sit down. I know what you mean by the ringing feeling. Ive experienced that before too as well.
Good to hear. Sometimes it makes me worry, like, possible BP issues? But from what I've heard from others, seems like it's pretty normal... which puts my mind at ease a bit :)