Most important qualities of a Personal Trainer:

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Just to get an idea of what we think...

I have seen some really good trainers in my day, and some really bad ones. Price doesnt have as much of a factor (SOMETIMES) as the persons level of intelligence and motivating qualities. I've seen $100 dollar for 45 minutes trainers that I would have bitten had they touched me, vs YMCA trainers who were passonate and actually motivated to help somebody for not much more than $12 bucks an hour.

So my question to AM.com is... "What makes a trainer good?" Followed by.. "What makes them less than good?"

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
I've only seen PT's at my local gym (24hr fitness). They all seem to follow a script and do the same things. I overhere them pitch supplements too. I've never use any of their PT's, most aren't even in shape. They have signs for hiring PT's, make up to 60k year....right..... :) My own initial criteria would be obviously if the PT was in shape him/herself or had pix of previous clients maybe. Just my 2 cents.

BMW

Awards
  • Established
funny you mentioned this i was acutally thinking of getting a side job as a PT but i can stand to follow bll**** scripting i have my own way of training and knowlegde that i dont see at my gym if i get the job will i have to pitch 24hrs ****ty sups or can i make my own recomendations and training routines, i love to help people but more on my terms

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
Maybe you'd have more clients there if people knew you didn't follow the script :)
The turnover rate seems high there for PT's. I saw em hire an old lady who was once a member....silliness

funny you mentioned this i was acutally thinking of getting a side job as a PT but i can stand to follow bll**** scripting i have my own way of training and knowlegde that i dont see at my gym if i get the job will i have to pitch 24hrs ****ty sups or can i make my own recomendations and training routines, i love to help people but more on my terms

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
There are a lot of bad PT's out there. Qualities you want, 1) the trainer should be a physical example of health and wellness. 2) know what their talking about. 3) Be a people person with a great personality.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I worked for 24 Hour Fitness and I quit after 3 months bro, they just wanted me to be a salesman instead of a trainer. I only enjoyed working with one teenage kid who actually busted his butt and worked for his results. Keep in mind that a lot of clients will not follow the program sometimes and will blame you for the lack of results.

Jminis made some good recommendations but if you can also educate your clients then they'll really appreciate their investment in you.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
There are a lot of bad PT's out there. Qualities you want, 1) the trainer should be a physical example of health and wellness. 2) know what their talking about. 3) Be a people person with a great personality.
I think those are all really great things to consider. I feel gifted to know some really specialized people who can help whether I am under the hump or trying to get over it. I know some really talented people and was wondering how many other people had great instruments at their fingertips too. The really good ones easily make better than 50K a year. But, their knowledge is what makes them bank.