Did too much cardio

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have never done cardio that much. I have done it on and off, sometimes long walks which are fine, and a few years ago I tried H.I.I.T..I always end up sidelined when I do anything besides long walks. Even the so called "Non-impact" exercise machines have me sidelined after so long. It depends, so I experimented with joging at a steady state for 1.5 weeks as of today. The crappy thing is that yesterday when I came home my left food was all bloody. I ruined my socks and my shoes, well I can still use the shoes, cleaned them up as much as possible with a bleach pen.....Now for a little more history on my cardio. A few weeks before this recent "experiment" I was walking 5 days a week for 5 miles a day. After 1.5 weeks of that my big toenail on my left foot turned black and blue and I couldn't walk too well...Its been over a month and the toenail is still black and blue. No pain though.

Anyway, now today after 1.5 weeks of running I have to stop. As I said, yesterday when I got home I noticed my left sneaker was all red. So my foot was all bloody but I couldn't find a cut. I think it was a nail in one of my little toes. Last night also the top part of right foot was swollen and it hurt when I walked. Still does now. Also on my left knee it seems there is a bump, it feels like muscle, but its sticking out, not the same on the right knee. My knees feel "tight" and it feels better to keep them stretched out then bent. A few years ago I had this same problem minus the bloody foot and black and blue toenail. I went to the doctor back then a was diagnosed with this,

Patello-Femoral Syndrome

I was also told not to do any squats or cardio, and all I was allowed to do was weight exercises that didn't put any pressure on the knee, and easy walking. Now I am afraid my PFS is back!. I tried to run to today thinking, "I'll work through the pain", and nope that didn't work!. This just really sucks. People in my family have arthrites and and history of knee problems....I thought maybe I would be ok when I was first diagnosed with PFS and I could be back at it, but everytime I tried a different form of cardio I started to have pain again. It had been a while so I figured I would try it again. I have lost fat without cardio before, but this time I was feeling really good about the running and loved the endorphin rush!. Now I think I'm just S.O.L.!!!!.....What to do for the next couple days?. Should I start again when the pain disapates or what?..One thing the doctor told me about my problem back then was that my knee cap moved over too far to the left. It would move back eventually but I had to take it easy, do no cardio or squats, and it could always happen again...I feel like an old man!.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So my left knee is still swollen today. Its hard to keep my knees bent when I sit down. They feel really "tight", just picture a large rubber band and you twist it and twist it and twist it, just before it breaks. Thats what my knees feel like when I sit down and they are bent. Puting my legs straight relieves this...Should I just get a knee brace and start running again in a few days and just do less distance?. I was feeling so good running. Damn it!

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
Even though I have no knowledge on this subject I will assist you in gaining help by bumping the topic with a single post.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
have you tried an elliptical or a StairMaster stationary bike even swimming I swim for cardio at least once a week now stick to low impact I'm not an expert just some ideas

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
have you tried an elliptical or a StairMaster stationary bike even swimming I swim for cardio at least once a week now stick to low impact I'm not an expert just some ideas
Yep I have tried the elliptical and Stairmaster and end up with the same problem after a few weeks. The stationary bike seems to be pretty bad also. I have not tried swiming, no pool at my gym, I don't really want to pay for another gym to just swim. I could swim outside in a pond or something but its too cold for that now...

getjacked63

Awards
  • Established
swimming would definitely be your best bet. probably would solve all your problems....

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you have a Y in your area

Yep but its much farther then my gym. Also the cost per membership is close to $500. Its a brand new building also and I have only been to the old one years ago, when I was checking gym prices, it was close to $500 than...Yeah I know these are just excuses, but I wish there was something easier, thats the reason I like running, no cost at all, just go outside....

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm wondering if I could just do some walking for now until it heals(goes back into place). I can feel its way over to the left, the knee cap. It just feels out of place when this happens. I can feel the difference between knees. Maybe I can just start running again after it goes back in place, but this time use an Ace Knee brace on each knee. I have one from the last time this happend. It does say "prevents injury from weak joints and muscles" on the package...What do you think about that?

de1060

de1060

Awards
T: Swimming is definately something that you should strongly consider. i'm from a family of marathon runners, so i hear you about the endorphin rush. i also hear you about the knee problems: both of my knee caps don't "track" correctly. that means that the ligaments on the insides aren't holding my knee caps strait when i bend my knees. i had some success with physical therapy, but i have been forced to limit my running considerably.

running outside is so tramatic to your bones and joints, swimming is completely impact free. although the draw backs from swimming are a pain (the cost, the inconvienance, swimming does not build bone strength) they can't be much worse than soakin' your shoes in blood.

It totally blows that you're having these problems, but just by the fact that you're refusing to stop training makes me think that you're gonna find something that works.

continue rocking :head:

D

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
T: Swimming is definately something that you should strongly consider. i'm from a family of marathon runners, so i hear you about the endorphin rush. i also hear you about the knee problems: both of my knee caps don't "track" correctly. that means that the ligaments on the insides aren't holding my knee caps strait when i bend my knees. i had some success with physical therapy, but i have been forced to limit my running considerably.

running outside is so tramatic to your bones and joints, swimming is completely impact free. although the draw backs from swimming are a pain (the cost, the inconvienance, swimming does not build bone strength) they can't be much worse than soakin' your shoes in blood.

It totally blows that you're having these problems, but just by the fact that you're refusing to stop training makes me think that you're gonna find something that works.

continue rocking :head:

D

Thanks a lot!. My parents did run marathons also, not much but a few I think. I always wanted to run in one, but really I'm just not that experienced. I ran a lot in high school, not in track or anything, just on my own. These problems with my knees seem to only kick in after 1.5-2 weeks. In fact I was trying to get this started before. At first I did the 5 mile walks and that turned my toenail black for some reason, probally I needed new sneakers which I puchased and then tried running again. Well after the start of the second week I got really sick. This last one was my third attempt to start up running again. I started doing run walks. Run for 1 minute walk till I catch my breath. I worked my way up to running for 9 minutes straight, and doubling my distance in only 1.5 weeks. Thats really not much if you ask a "real" runner, but hey I'm not a teenager anymore, neither am I in my 20's. Still I was really starting to love running again, like when I was in my teens. I just feel so much better when I run, its like I can actually feel my blood pressure and stress go down!. The only thing that sucks is bloody feet, ruined sneakers and kneecaps that aren't in the correct place. As far as form goes, I know to keep your head up looking straight ahead and run "heal to toe".....So noone thinks that I can continue to run after this "heals" and can just use a knee brace to prevent the knee cap from slipping again?

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Thanks a lot!. My parents did run marathons also, not much but a few I think. I always wanted to run in one, but really I'm just not that experienced. I ran a lot in high school, not in track or anything, just on my own. These problems with my knees seem to only kick in after 1.5-2 weeks. In fact I was trying to get this started before. At first I did the 5 mile walks and that turned my toenail black for some reason, probally I needed new sneakers which I puchased and then tried running again. Well after the start of the second week I got really sick. This last one was my third attempt to start up running again. I started doing run walks. Run for 1 minute walk till I catch my breath. I worked my way up to running for 9 minutes straight, and doubling my distance in only 1.5 weeks. Thats really not much if you ask a "real" runner, but hey I'm not a teenager anymore, neither am I in my 20's. Still I was really starting to love running again, like when I was in my teens. I just feel so much better when I run, its like I can actually feel my blood pressure and stress go down!. The only thing that sucks is bloody feet, ruined sneakers and kneecaps that aren't in the correct place. As far as form goes, I know to keep your head up looking straight ahead and run "heal to toe".....So noone thinks that I can continue to run after this "heals" and can just use a knee brace to prevent the knee cap from slipping again?
Theres only three reasons to run:from the cops, to the fidge between plays, and the the bathroom.
Otherwise its a waste of time.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Theres only three reasons to run:from the cops, to the fidge between plays, and the the bathroom.
Otherwise its a waste of time.

Is this really your opinion on running?. Why is that?. Is it because of the problems with joints and knees such as I am having?

de1060

de1060

Awards
...So no one thinks that I can continue to run after this "heals" and can just use a knee brace to prevent the knee cap from slipping again?
I dunno brother; there is the possiblity that your body is no longer able to recover from the trauma induced by running. I'm not trying to sound like a smarta$$ (although i am a huge one) but if you are experiencing so much pain and injury from running it might be time to pursue other types of aerobic exercise. sounds like you did a good job of easing back into it before; but hell, if you want to try a knee brace, or taping to keep the knee in place, i would talk to a physical therapist to get some idea of the best possible way to protect your kneecap and go for it. just please pay close atttention to your body-don't f-yourself in the long run because you love running right now. jmo of course.

de1060

de1060

Awards
oh yeah i almost forgot:

as always, continue rocking :head:

SHADOW2492

Awards
After reading the symtoms I think I may have this also. I find I can bike quite a bit but not run at all and sometimes just walking can cause the pain. I had to mess around with my seat height alot to get around this. this may be all in my head but who knows.

When biking focus on the angles of your knees if you can try to put them mechanically proper. Not sure if that makes sense.

I tend to agree with what someone said about 3 times to run. Personally I find it far to high impact to be usefull there is many other less impacting cardio activities you can do other than running. I have always been a huge fan of biking or even punching a bag for some time.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Knee feels better

Well I really have to get back to cardio. I can tell my BP is up. My knee does feel a lot better. Not any pain anymore. The thing is now when I go down stairs I can hear a rattle in the phucked up knee everytime I bend it!...I don't know about this. It may be from the NHA stack, as I am taking 2 Rebound Reloaded and 1 RXT per day. Also Retain, today I ran out of retain but have some Retain 2.0 on order which should be here sometime next week. I hope this sound is because of low estrogen or cortisol.....

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Could be from the RR, try decreasing the dosage to 1cap for a couple of days and see if it stops.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Could be from the RR, try decreasing the dosage to 1cap for a couple of days and see if it stops.

Yeah thats what I thought but its only my bad knee. Its not really a cracking sound. Its a crunching sound, like bone to bone or somthing and happens when I bend my knee. I doesn't hurt it just feels weird. I was going do the stairs the past few days and you know how most stairs creek when you go down them?. Well I was trying to figure out whether it was mostly the stairs or my knee!. I sat down and moved my knee, and yep its mostly my knee!. What the hell?.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah thats what I thought but its only my bad knee. Its not really a cracking sound. Its a crunching sound, like bone to bone or somthing and happens when I bend my knee. I doesn't hurt it just feels weird. I was going do the stairs the past few days and you know how most stairs creek when you go down them?. Well I was trying to figure out whether it was mostly the stairs or my knee!. I sat down and moved my knee, and yep its mostly my knee!. What the hell?.
LOL, sorry T but that made me laugh man. Regardless, the bad knee could just be prone to it due to ligament damage and the RR could be effecting it a little more then most joints. Try the reduction and see if it can help it out.

I remember when I ran the original XT my left shoulder would always hurt but my right was just fine. It's weird I know but that's how these prods work sometimes.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
LOL, sorry T but that made me laugh man. Regardless, the bad knee could just be prone to it due to ligament damage and the RR could be effecting it a little more then most joints. Try the reduction and see if it can help it out.

I remember when I ran the original XT my left shoulder would always hurt but my right was just fine. It's weird I know but that's how these prods work sometimes.
Sounds good. I think I will just cut the Rebound XT and just use two reloaded for now and see how that works. I really have to get back out on the road. Besides it is getting really nice out lately and my blood pressure is rising.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds good. I think I will just cut the Rebound XT and just use two reloaded for now and see how that works. I really have to get back out on the road. Besides it is getting really nice out lately and my blood pressure is rising.
I hear that! The weather has me dieing to hit the park for some good runs.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well yesterday I finally tried running again. Within about 30 seconds my knee was in pain, I didn't even really fun flat out I started to jog at a good pace. Might as well take me in the backyard a shoot me like a lame horse!...Nope I think I will just do long walks for my cardio. I don't see whats wrong with it. A lot of people have lost a lot fat with fitness walking. In fact most of the time when I hear about people losing a lot of fat, they started walking. Its not that I don't like runing, my knee doesn't!. I've got a pedometer and I am gonna do at least 20,000 steps per walk(5 miles). At least 5 times a week, maybe more. Also if you read my other thread about IBS, I am gonna stop carbing up for at least a month.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I made a mistake in my previous post about the number of steps in 5 miles. Today was my first day and I did 14, 719 steps in my walk. This was 6.453 miles. Good walk except for the crazy ass golden retriver who sounded like he wanted to kill me for walking past him!.

leung3644

Awards
I don’t quite understand this problem. I only know swimming is a good solution.

Do you think yoga would help you? Because it can improve your flexibility and burning fat.at the same time. I understand yoga isn’t really a cardio but if fat burning is the purpose you do cardio, may be yoga is another solution.

Anyway, good luck.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
You bumped a 4 year old thread LOL, no biggie though, it shows you're using the search feature and that's a good thing.

Inclined walking has been the best solution for me. Swimming is pretty good too. Stationary bike isn't crazy on the knees either.

made2last

Awards
I worked in Orthopedics for several years and what you have is extremely common, specially with females. Your options are to strengthen the inside part of your quad(if that makes sense) a physical therapist can work with you on this, and have them teach you stuff u can do on your own because PT like everything else medical is expensive, whats going on is your outer quad is so strong its pulling your knee cap out of track, another thing you can do is ask ur orthopedist for a brace that slides ur knee cap back into place using a velcro strap and some padding. Its called a "patella tracking brace" Good luck, and don't worry about the copay ;]

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is BS. We wait on pins and needles for 7 long years and now you don't remember?!

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Which board sponsors sell nootropics? I think maybe that might be something worth looking into.