Why are we so tired?

Giantz11

Giantz11

Really Really Good Looking
Awards
  • Established
Wanted to get some people thoughts on this.

I was thinking about it and it seems that almost every single person I know is always tired. Just look at America today.

Energy Drinks have become a billion dollar industry. Just look at the boards, people are always looking for new stimulants. The Pharm industry is taking a stab at this market with new sleeping pills.

It just seems that people are always tired, anyone have any thoughts as to why?

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Indoor lighting and refridgerators? Think about it...

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
some energy drinks can give you a slight buzz for a while.

Most people like some type of "high" even if it is a weak one...

I know I like the slight surge of energy I get from drinking a Redline before I hit the weights...

Also, the vast bulk of western civilization runs survives mostly on sugar, refined white flour and caffeine...so anything to keep one going is bound to be popular.

Giantz11

Giantz11

Awards
  • Established
Good point, I def think diet plays a major part.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
I had a co-worker once that claimed that Fluorescent lighting made him sneeze all day.
Up until a 100 years ago when it got dark, we went to bed. It was like that for millions of years. In a 100 years, we've got a host of bright and sleep disrupting things to keep us from our natural sleep patterns. We were designed to get 9-11 hours a sleep a day. Think... darkness. Sleep.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I'm not tired, slightly bored but not tired :p

Giantz11

Giantz11

Awards
  • Established
Then there is an issue with sleep quality, which I am personally trying to address. Because I can get a good 10 hours and still wake up tired.

Giantz11

Giantz11

Awards
  • Established
There's gotta be something with computer too. Working outside doing manual labor doesn't even close to draining me like sitting in an office.

But that could have a lot to do with posture, which was mentioned in the article that I posted.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A lot of things can be contributed just to the overall sociological aspects of Amercia today. We have increased production of BAD food, decreased physical labor and/or activity and most of all we live in a world that rewards based on work. The more work you do the more rewards you get, that type of mantra can drain anybody looking to get a step ahead in any field(and it often does).

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Working 50 hours a week to make someone else rich will take the wind out of anyone's sails....

Try to fit in the rest of your life around that schedule and it just eats at you...some nights I only get 4 hours of sleep. Just because I want to hit the gym, watch animal planet and play my guitar in the same evening.

BV

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
some nights I only get 4 hours of sleep. Just because I want to hit the gym, watch animal planet and play my guitar in the same evening.

BV
Animal Planet LOL, that's dedication V.:D

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its because a lot of us don't follow the circadian rhtym,

Circadian Rhythms and Sleep

Well I can't really explain it myself but we all should stay on a scedule, go to bed before 10 pm, go to sleep only when its dark out and wake when it is light. You definitely get better sleep in the hours before 10pm, and you will sleep deeper. I can say I don't follow this advice myself, its just not practical for me. I find though, if you stay on a schedule and go to sleep the same time every night, wake up and get out of bed the exact same time, you will generally get better sleep and will also be able to fall asleep without any "help" and you will not need an alarm clock to wake up.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Its because a lot of us don't follow the circadian rhtym,

Circadian Rhythms and Sleep

Well I can't really explain it myself but we all should stay on a scedule, go to bed before 10 pm, go to sleep only when its dark out and wake when it is light. You definitely get better sleep in the hours before 10pm, and you will sleep deeper. I can say I don't follow this advice myself, its just not practical for me. I find though, if you stay on a schedule and go to sleep the same time every night, wake up and get out of bed the exact same time, you will generally get better sleep and will also be able to fall asleep without any "help" and you will not need an alarm clock to wake up.
Agreed, look at my first post.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
IMO, there's really too many reasons for overall fatigue to list. Our unnatural diets are a start, exposure to a zillion chemicals some of which bind to receptors in our thyroids, adrenal et cetera, the fact that most people are so far from being physically conditioned to anything besides driving to work and coming home to lay around, bla bla bla.

Humans are so far removed from our natural environment that our bodies are having to adjust to a brave new world.

ModelMike

ModelMike

Awards
i wouldnt say everyone is tired, there's just a bunch of lazy people that are lacking energy. most poeple i belive live off energy drinks and coffee.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
This thead caught my eye because I just heard a commercial for the sleep number bed and it sounded JUST like the first post.

I am not sure why people are tired. honestly I don't feel tired.

I don't think it is the lights seeing as how I work until 2 AM every day. I don't believe it is the amount of work or the computer, I am online approx 12 - 14 hours a day.

I also dont' think it is too much workingout as you can see I do quite a bit. http://anabolicminds.com/forum/anabolic-innovations/60949-crowlers-triathlong-training-2.html

Saturday

Ran 3.8 miles Didn't stop or walk at all. I can NOT believe it. This is only the 10th time I have run in the past 5 or so years because of a bad ankle injury. Of course it swelled up but I am icing it a couple times a day and all is good.

Bike 20 miles Pretty easy pace just to get some miles in

Swam 1/2 mile REALLY good workout. I am trying to improve my form and dramatically changed my hand path. I REALLY think this alone will make me quite a bit faster so GREAT DAY

Sunday

Bike 60 MILES yes that is right 60 miles in 3 hours 10 minutes This is double the distance I have gone before in the past 5 or 6 years. AND I didn't stop once except to refill my water bottle one time.

The last 5 miles were BRUTAL. I started at about 11:30 AM and had not eaten anything. ;( By the time I got to about mile 55 my body was definitely trying to burn fat for its fuel. I even had a hard time staying in a nice straight line.

So 2 GREAT days I am VERY happy and looking forward to the next race.

As far as diet I generally eat what most bodybuilder type people do. I have junk food a couple times a week so I don't think that is it.

Also I am much older than most seeing as I have a grandson :)

So I really don't know why other people are so tired.

CROWLER

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it just boils down to poor diet and lack of exercise.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This thead caught my eye because I just heard a commercial for the sleep number bed and it sounded JUST like the first post.

I am not sure why people are tired. honestly I don't feel tired.

I don't think it is the lights seeing as how I work until 2 AM every day. I don't believe it is the amount of work or the computer, I am online approx 12 - 14 hours a day.

I also dont' think it is too much workingout as you can see I do quite a bit. http://anabolicminds.com/forum/anabolic-innovations/60949-crowlers-triathlong-training-2.html

Saturday

Ran 3.8 miles Didn't stop or walk at all. I can NOT believe it. This is only the 10th time I have run in the past 5 or so years because of a bad ankle injury. Of course it swelled up but I am icing it a couple times a day and all is good.

Bike 20 miles Pretty easy pace just to get some miles in

Swam 1/2 mile REALLY good workout. I am trying to improve my form and dramatically changed my hand path. I REALLY think this alone will make me quite a bit faster so GREAT DAY

Sunday

Bike 60 MILES yes that is right 60 miles in 3 hours 10 minutes This is double the distance I have gone before in the past 5 or 6 years. AND I didn't stop once except to refill my water bottle one time.

The last 5 miles were BRUTAL. I started at about 11:30 AM and had not eaten anything. ;( By the time I got to about mile 55 my body was definitely trying to burn fat for its fuel. I even had a hard time staying in a nice straight line.

So 2 GREAT days I am VERY happy and looking forward to the next race.

As far as diet I generally eat what most bodybuilder type people do. I have junk food a couple times a week so I don't think that is it.

Also I am much older than most seeing as I have a grandson :)

So I really don't know why other people are so tired.

CROWLER

Yes Crowler, but you're just not HUMAN!.

drunk

Awards
The real reason I am tired. The population of this country is 237 million. 104 million are retired. That leaves 133 million to do the work. There are 85 million in school, which leaves 48 million to do the work. Of this there are 29 million employed by the federal government, leaving 19 million to do the work. 2.8 million are in the Armed Forces, which leaves 16.2 million to do the work. Take from the total the 14,800,000 people who work for State and City Governments and that leaves 1.4 million to do the work. At any given time there are 188,000 people in hospitals, leaving 1,212,000 to do the work. Now, there are 1,211,998 people in prisons. That leaves just two people to do the work. You and me. And you're sitting at your computer reading jokes.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
My children drain me of energy like little vampires.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, when my baby starts walking and running around...I'm in for it. lol

Better switch to endurance training while I still can.