tattos in the military?

ModelMike

ModelMike

Awards
well i was watching the news and came across segment that says that they are restricting military people to have tattoos below the elbow. I think its ****ty.. What are people thoughts on this?

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Somebody just told me that yesterday. That is fvcking stupid as hell!

We'll put in front of bullets and bombs, but you can't have a tattoo! WTF!

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
well i was watching the news and came across segment that says that they are restricting military people to have tattoos below the elbow. I think its ****ty.. What are people thoughts on this?
I hope they are paying to have all the currents removed then.

I honestly dont see this happening, or at least enforced. Rule prior was you cannot have over 25% of an exposed body part covered.

Bottom line, politics are putting their hand into the military to much. Giving a order to perform a task is one thing.... but for Gods sakes... let me have at least a FEW of my freedoms.

Adams

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That's nothing new, they started that when I went to Benning in '96.. I got a wolf on my right bicep, and I kinda got sh!t for it, but they mainly were saying not to get anymore ink lower on the arm..

ModelMike

ModelMike

Awards
Ya i know, but i guess now they are having to put it in writting saying they will not get tattoos below the elbow and the knee. I guess you could get discharged for this?

Lightning

Awards
I remember when I was in , a guy got " F*** YOU SIR " tatooed on the outside of his right hand, so every time he saluted an officer that was what he saw.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Shouldn't they be more worried about the well being of the soldiers ? Why focus on petty little things ?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's their way of trying to have a more professional soldier look. While I agree with not wanting to have soldiers look like they should be on the block I disagree with how they are going about doing it.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's their way of trying to have a more professional soldier look. While I agree with not wanting to have soldiers look like they should be on the block I disagree with how they are going about doing it.
Yes that is the reason... but military tattoos, and tattoos in general in the military date back to the begining of the military. Its an unwritten tradition. Just as alot of the customs and courtisies. You wouldnt just stop thoughs.

Adams

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree and I think there is a lot of tradition with tattoos but it should be tempered with society as with everything else instead of picking and choosing. Most places have strict limitations on cadence calling where 15+ years ago the average Cadence rating was R. Now it's barely PG13.

I think the restrictions should be in the line of type versus location and size. Hate related tattoos for example, should be strictly enforced over having a tattoo on the forearm.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree and I think there is a lot of tradition with tattoos but it should be tempered with society as with everything else instead of picking and choosing. Most places have strict limitations on cadence calling where 15+ years ago the average Cadence rating was R. Now it's barely PG13.

I think the restrictions should be in the line of type versus location and size. Hate related tattoos for example, should be strictly enforced over having a tattoo on the forearm.
Agreed... Though the candence I always called was R and above!!!

Content is very much agreed. I agree you shouldnt be allowed to get racial Tattoos, but placement shouldnt have any hand of in it.

Adams

V00D00

V00D00

Awards
well then, i guess id never be accepted. legs are covered in ink.

bigmann2

Awards
There has to be a line drawn somewhere. If there is no restriction then people will run wild. The military is a unique profession that has very strict rules and it is part of the military culture. There has to be good order and discipline and once that is compromised there is chaos and puts the countries security in jeopardy. I agree that tats shouldn't be visible in uniform...any uniform. I can only speak for my branch...but if you get a tat above your shirt line (neck) you are going to get ****, if not kicked out. When you join the military it is pretty clear on what the rules are...if you don't like them you don't have to stay...but if you stay you have to comply!

My 2 pennies!

semper60003

Awards
i'm in the marines and the tattoo ban is idiotic, there are a number of people who are actually not reinlisting because of the new policy - complete stupidity