Gym goins on: Have you ever...

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
1. Asked someone who was curling in the squat cage to take thier gun show somewheres else?

2. Seen someone use wraps to bench 135?

3. seen anyone workout in spiffy new shiney gym clothes. Have a shiney new visor on AND have thier Bluetooth in thier ear at the same time? this guy was classic, i could go on.

i saw this today in 1 hour at the gym. i felt like I was in bizarro world for some reason. And i did ask the dude if I could share the cage with him. i got a dirty look and a sigh. Whatever, don't need the cage to curl 65 pounds.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I once saw a guy (about 215lb-sized guy) max out @ 135 for deadlifts. It was quite interesting.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. Asked someone who was curling in the squat cage to take thier gun show somewheres else?

Nope, i've always felt that regardless how they use the equipment then I can just wait my turn. Excluding those who don't use it but just lean on it and those who want to hold a piece of equipment up for 30+ minutes

No but I have seen plenty keep the weight belt on their entire time in the gym and never once squat or deadlift anything.

3. seen anyone workout in spiffy new shiney gym clothes. Have a shiney new visor on AND have thier Bluetooth in thier ear at the same time? this guy was classic, i could go on.

Yes and it does piss me off but that was the main reason I bought a mp3 player.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
I need some new spiffy gym clothes from target, my L are getting too small :)

Most gyms seem have some bizarros in em, last week was like cheat day, most people where out in force cheating on every rep, even my coworker! I was like why you cheating? He said that's the only way he could lift it at that weight, ugh...I walked away

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Theres a guy with OCD that works out at my gym. When he's not annoying, he's quite interesting to watch work out.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The curls in the squat rack annoys me, but I ignore it. I worked out at my college rec for 3 years and the sh*t I saw in there could fill a book. My favorite is still the 20 year olds on their 3rd cycle that weigh around 180 or have 13" calves and 20" thighs, but need to train arms for 90 minutes twice a week.

Chemist2234

Chemist2234

Awards
Have you ever seen anyone use chalk for every single exercise regardless if they are using their hands???

True story...This guy rubs chalk on his hands for every single exercise. By the time he is done with his workout there is chalk dust covering every piece of equipment in the gym.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
Can gyms please ban guys from wearing richard simmon's shorts or short shorts? Ugh my eyes....

sean taylor

sean taylor

West Coast Highland Athlete
Awards
  • Established
WOW...I curl in the squat rack...
And I often buy new sweats for the gym..kinda of a sickness with me. I can only wear clothes I sweat in for so many washings then I just replace them...
You bastards better not be talking smack about me in the locker room behind my back...

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
WOW...I curl in the squat rack...
And I often buy new sweats for the gym..kinda of a sickness with me. I can only wear clothes I sweat in for so many washings then I just replace them...
You bastards better not be talking smack about me in the locker room behind my back...
I curl in the squat rack also. I'm doing 135-145 for a strict set of 10 with the straight bar. If training for a comp (strongman), I'll do cheat curls up to 205. Where else could I do curls?

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Seen a pack of kids who all thought they were john gotti (and hence, thought they were tough ****) who combined bench was less than a 57 year old dude on the next bench?

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
It is possible to curl 135 w/o the need to rest the bar at knee level on the rack. Its true, i do it all the time.;)

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
It is possible to curl 135 w/o the need to rest the bar at knee level on the rack. Its true, i do it all the time.;)
Yes I know. But I'd still be taking up one of the bars used in the rack anyway (no extras). Plus it's so much easier to take the plates on and off.

I guess it would be more of a problem here if anybody actually did free weight squats. LOL

sean taylor

sean taylor

Awards
  • Established
Uh OH....ummmm...yeah your fine. Just dont go visor and bluetooth:run:
NEVER...I can promise you that..
My cell and pager don't even go into the gym, they stay in the car.

sean taylor

sean taylor

Awards
  • Established
I curl in the squat rack also. I'm doing 135-145 for a strict set of 10 with the straight bar. If training for a comp (strongman), I'll do cheat curls up to 205. Where else could I do curls?
I am gonna keep using the rack, screw it.
Not gonna waste my strength picking up off the floor :)

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I guess it would be more of a problem here if anybody actually did free weight squats. LOL
My gym has ONE squat rack, and nobody ever shows it the love it deserves. :(

sean taylor

sean taylor

Awards
  • Established
Yes I know. But I'd still be taking up one of the bars used in the rack anyway (no extras). Plus it's so much easier to take the plates on and off.

Yeah, when I do squats in the rack folks stare at me and some ask how I manage to get back up after going so low...
My little gym caters basically to older folks and the local high school. I have only seen about 3 guys who lift as much as I do...even when I am half assing it... that is bad but at least I have no waiting for any free weight equipment.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Exactly!!! LOL!! I don't want to waste any extra calories there!
Well at least you guys are going pretty heavy at times. I think someone using an EZ Bar in the squat rack with only a 10lb plate on each side is more than annoying. Or using dumbbells, which I have seen as well. And I had to wonder about that one.

m4gnum

m4gnum

Awards
Yeah. Pretty silly, but whatever. It isn't hurting me.

Have you ever seen anyone use chalk for every single exercise regardless if they are using their hands???
I use chalk on every exercise... I have really sweaty hands. But I use my hands on every lift I do. If I were to do leg presses or extensions or something I wouldn't use chalk.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
What urks me are shrugs done rolling the shoulders and upright rows to the eyeballs. Somebody buy those fools a new shoulder joint. Sigh

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
o yea the shoulder row shrugs
Shrugs is contagious, once one person does them, others come over to do them too, row row row your shoulders....silly wabbits

SprtNvolcoM

SprtNvolcoM

On a Mission!
Awards
  • Established
I don't think anything or more annoying than the big fat dude or super skinny fellow who insist on coaching his buddies. You can always point these guys out in the gym. They walk around super pumped and excited, there arms and shoulders pushed out forward (the puff as I call it), for one reason or another they think that by "YELLING" in there buddies ear as they perform a set that this is somehow going to help that friend of there somehow ... "COME ON," "YOU CAN DO IT," "PUSH PUSH PUSH," "7, 8, 9, 10, you got it ... GOOD set," they say.

I hate that guy!!!!
Sprt

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

I use chalk on every exercise... I have really sweaty hands. But I use my hands on every lift I do. If I were to do leg presses or extensions or something I wouldn't use chalk.
Do you chalk up for exercises like squats or good mornings?

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
What urks me are shrugs done rolling the shoulders and upright rows to the eyeballs. Somebody buy those fools a new shoulder joint. Sigh
That is a bad one!

How about this guy...the one doing lateral oblique raises with a dumbbell in each hand. HELLO!!!!

Chemist2234

Chemist2234

Awards

This guy uses chalk for everything....even like leg press....kinda dumb.

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
Seen a pack of kids who all thought they were john gotti (and hence, thought they were tough ****) who combined bench was less than a 57 year old dude on the next bench?
:toofunny:

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I LOVE me some pet peeve threads!

I'm feelin' all the comments so far.

But, just about the only thing that irks me and can actually affect MY workout are the ****s that don't re-rack their plates. Talk about pissed off!

Another thing... ****ers that let weight stacks slam to the bottom. How someone can manage 15 reps, yet not have the energy to set the stack down nicely... I'll never figure that out. Yeah, sometimes I'm exhausted, but I never just let the stack fly. I at least set it down as gently as possible.

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
I don't think anything or more annoying than the big fat dude or super skinny fellow who insist on coaching his buddies. You can always point these guys out in the gym. They walk around super pumped and excited, there arms and shoulders pushed out forward (the puff as I call it), for one reason or another they think that by "YELLING" in there buddies ear as they perform a set that this is somehow going to help that friend of there somehow ... "COME ON," "YOU CAN DO IT," "PUSH PUSH PUSH," "7, 8, 9, 10, you got it ... GOOD set," they say.

I hate that guy!!!!
Sprt

Oh yeah these guys. I have alot of this in my gym. Some little dude will come in thinkin hes all bad and tell his friends how to get big and its the worst workout routine ever. Then afterwards he says "so we gonna go to mcdonalds for food right". And the whole time there working out he's showing off for them trying to curl the 50's gettin 2 reps by bringing his shoulder to the weight. Fvckin dumb.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like when scrawny, non-regulars tell me what 'I should do to get bigger'.

SXULB52

Awards
I've seen so many characters. One of the best was a guy sitting backwards on a bench talking on his cell phone for 30 minutes about how he was gonna get drunk that night and "bang some *****es" and had a cigarette in his ear... major tool.

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
I like when scrawny, non-regulars tell me what 'I should do to get bigger'.
I must have a leave me the fvck alone look when i'm training because i've never had that happen from a scrawny guy.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I must have a leave me the fvck alone look when i'm training because i've never had that happen from a scrawny guy.
Me either. I've had some people ask me questions, but never have I been told what I need to be doing instead of what I was doing. :head:

Must be the shaved head.

... and massive pecs and guns!

:bb2: :bb:

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
I am in such a sh!t-den of tranquility mode when I exercise, about the only thing I notice are

1) When people dont notice I am in fifth gear moving in between supersets and get in front of me in their weak azz pimpalimp .2 MPH speed when I had been clearly sprinting to the next goal. I have to be very careful with this person on the road too. I have to promise myself not to get out and kill them.

2) When I accidently see someone I am certain who is either young or special*(Really, like Corky) and they are going to hurt themselves or someone else left unattended. I have convinced myself a real man intervenes. I am big enough they dont argue. And I probably look just mean enough that they have always said thank you and tried to adapt. :)

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It happens to me inside and out of the gym (Though it stopped occuring in the gym as much after I started lifting with a friend). Little guys regurgitating things they probably read in their latest issue of MuscleHype Magazine. I'm thinking it's a form of metacognition, and their waiting for me to say something along the lines of "Yeah, I do that. It's great. I swear by it." but it usually ends in me trying to avoid saying "That's stupid" by changing the subject.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
Yes. I chalk the bar, though, not my hands.
dude..just TRY not to chalk the bar..please. theres a video on you tube of a dude squatting 1000#'s and there aint a chalk lick to be found...its OK!

SprtNvolcoM

SprtNvolcoM

On a Mission!
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys ... What about "THE FLY?"

You know, the guy who comes up to you while your in the middle of a set and asks you how much longer your going to be using a particular piece of equipment. You tell him 2-3 sets, whatever it might be (I usually just say 10 so they will go away), and instead of finding something else to do while he waits for you to finish your exercise he stands right there next to you watching & waiting for you either say "join in" or "I'm done" (I try to avoid saying anything & continue working out until they get pissed and leave). MAN, I HATE THAT!

lol, sometimes I'll bust out with some stretches or just sit down in between sets and sip water. The last time this happened I got on my cell phone, lol (sorry I read some of you guys complaining about this, but in my defense I was doing it on purpose and not just because I'm a dumb @$$ who doesn't take others into consideration).

Unless the dude is waaay bigger than I am (or has jail tats on his face, lol) I will usually continue working out until I cant bare it if they don't leave. Once I'm exhausted, if there still standing there, I'll usually end up popping off with some smart @$$ remark about how annoying and/or what a huge pest they are. I've not had anyone smart off or confront me yet. I can see it now though, one of these times some skinny MMA dude will pull this sh*t and whoop my @$$ after I pop off. lol, just my luck.

You guys can't tell me you've never encountered a "FLY!"

Regards,
Sprt

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established

You know, the guy who comes up to you while your in the middle of a set and asks you how much longer your going to be using a particular piece of equipment. You tell him 2-3 sets, whatever it might be (I usually just say 10 so they will go away), and instead of finding something else to do while he waits for you to finish your exercise he stands right there next to you watching & waiting for you either say "join in" or "I'm done" (I try to avoid saying anything & continue working out until they get pissed and leave). MAN, I HATE THAT!
Guess I'm "The Fly" I'm not going to go to do Squats on the smith machine. I'm going to wait for the cage to be free even if its annoying :)

I only do this with the Power Cage and BB Incline bench. We need another set...

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
There are 4 or 5 guys in my guy that use the heaviest db's in there (the 120's) for different exercises. I love the appalled look on some peoples faces when we use them. Its almost like we just kicked a 3 legged dog.

Guess I'm "The Fly" I'm not going to go to do Squats on the smith machine. I'm going to wait for the cage to be free even if its annoying :)

Come to my gym. If I ever see all the squat racks taken, I may have a seizure.

There are three (3) people other than me I have ever seen squat in my gym. An older dude, a really big dude, and a 14 year old.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I work at a gym so i see it all.First of all bicycle shorts do "NOT" quallify as gym attire...I get sick to my stomach from my workouts,i really don't need to see some 60 year old guy with paper white legs to make me feel any better....OR.....fat chicks that really just need some sweatpants,not hot pants...aggghhhh...

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
I've never been seriously annoyed by anything in my gym 'cept for the smelly folks and the 'roid raged folks. I'd like to exercise, not feel as if I'm in the 300 that went to Thermopylae, so please calm down and take your PUMPED self over to a safer area of the gym, where you can throw weights and lift a metric ton without injuring others.

SprtNvolcoM

SprtNvolcoM

On a Mission!
Awards
  • Established

Its one thing to wait, but its another thing to hover. There is really only one kid, a younger cat (probably in high school), that does this in my gym that I have noticed. You can tell he's got an ego on him, and that's probably what annoys me the most. The one time that strikes me most is when he actually tried pulling the weight of my bench. I guess I just felt disrespected.

Believe me, though, there is a difference between respectfully waiting and just being a d*ck about having to wait (making faces, standing with your arms crossed attempting to have a stare down, or hovering so close I can feel his breath on my neck -- a little exaggerated of course). I'm sure you act more gym appropriate (whatever that is) when waiting for your power cage. Besides, waiting for a squat rack when your gym only has one or two is different from waiting for a bench press or something most gyms have multiples of.

It seems to be a common trend where I live to walk around with a chip on your shoulder and pretend your sh*t doesn't stink. Why ... I have no idea? A lot of the younger kids suffer from this syndrome, I'll call it. You get stares from a crossed the gym, cats like the guy I've just explained (the fly), and just sh*tty attitudes in general. This syndrome, so to speak, is often the cause of my gym incidences (if that makes sense). I usually just get in, get'rrr done, and get out ... minding my own the entire WO. There's no sense in losing my membership over some hot headed (captain of his football team) high school punk, you know?

Regards,
Sprt

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Its one thing to wait, but its another thing to hover. There is really only one kid, a younger cat (probably in high school), that does this in my gym that I have noticed. You can tell he's got an ego on him, and that's probably what annoys me the most. The one time that strikes me most is when he actually tried pulling the weight of my bench. I guess I just felt disrespected.

Believe me, though, there is a difference between respectfully waiting and just being a d*ck about having to wait (making faces, standing with your arms crossed attempting to have a stare down, or hovering so close I can feel his breath on my neck -- a little exaggerated of course). I'm sure you act more gym appropriate (whatever that is) when waiting for your power cage. Besides, waiting for a squat rack when your gym only has one or two is different from waiting for a bench press or something most gyms have multiples of.
Heheh Ya I usually ask how many sets and if its like 3+ I ask to work in any less I tell them I'm just going to wait a few feet away behind/to the side. I do stand with my arms crossed however but thats just me being comfy. I have done the whole annoying stare down/arms crossed thing before however. I hate waiting for people with trainers. Have to wait for the set, then the stretch, then the talking for a few mins, then more stretching bleh then back to the set (or sometimes supersets so they hog 2 benches). I have also started to unrack weights before usually when its some new guy who sits on the bench between sets on his cell phone for like 5mins between each set. That or I ask him while hes on the phone "How many more sets of this do you have?" :smite:

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
(or sometimes supersets so they hog 2 benches):
A gym man law: No equipment hogs. When supersetting on 2 machines or benches etc. you must be willing (with a smile) to give one up if someone asks to work in.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A gym man law: No equipment hogs. When supersetting on 2 machines or benches etc. you must be willing (with a smile) to give one up if someone asks to work in.
This can be easily avoided by including only 1 machine or bench exercise in your superset. It frees up more equipment, and doesn't limit you too much.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
WELL, I AM USUALLY SO FOCUSED I DON'T NOTICE THE OTHER PEOPLE IN THE GYM!!!(HAHAHA)

But seriously,...I have many issues, like say working out on Saturdays or Sundays...its like a spaceship landed and a whole new type of creature has invaded the gym....

I am intrigued by people who do phone work while training; their conversations must go like..."Hi, I am at the gym working out what are you doing?" uh huh okay well, just wanted you to know that I am working out!,..Okay bye.." (WTF)

I do serious amounts of stretching (about 30 minutes) before I move to weights....and for some reason people love to get as close to me as possible and do their paltry ab work, they don't seem comfortable unless they are breathing on me!!!!( sometimes its a hot chick, but usually not)(am I a socio-path?)

finally, people who steal my mirror space( am I vain?)

people who go out of there way to bump into me, or who have an angry or scared look as they pass me(maybe its me?)

People who are too friendly or who don't acknowledge a friendly nod in their direction( am I needy?)

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Agreed!!

Rhino...I think you have some issues. Would you like to talk about anything? LOL!

SHADOW2492

Awards

lol, sometimes I'll bust out with some stretches or just sit down in between sets and sip water. The last time this happened I got on my cell phone, lol (sorry I read some of you guys complaining about this, but in my defense I was doing it on purpose and not just because I'm a dumb @$$ who doesn't take others into consideration).

Unless the dude is waaay bigger than I am (or has jail tats on his face, lol) I will usually continue working out until I cant bare it if they don't leave. Once I'm exhausted, if there still standing there, I'll usually end up popping off with some smart @$$ remark about how annoying and/or what a huge pest they are. I've not had anyone smart off or confront me yet. I can see it now though, one of these times some skinny MMA dude will pull this sh*t and whoop my @$$ after I pop off. lol, just my luck.

You guys can't tell me you've never encountered a "FLY!"

Regards,
Sprt
I am also a fly, I am rather obsessive compulsive about orders I do things especially exercises, if I dont wait around I know some other person will jump on right after you its no different than waiting in line anywhere else.talk **** to me all you want I will most like call you a **** put my metal on so loud you can hear it than roll my eyes at you. I wouldnt fight someone over something as trivial as this either so its not a concern for me. I dont uderstand why this bothers you so much. Closest I came to a fight was when some idiots decided it was a wrestling arena where I was doing heavy tricep pull downs and pushed one into me, the kids were about 5'10 130 pounds and almost got punished by me if they hadnt wisened up.

This can be easily avoided by including only 1 machine or bench exercise in your superset. It frees up more equipment, and doesn't limit you too much.
This is not always possible, I always superset tricep pull downs and bicep hammer curls or alternate curls...