What do you look for in a gym

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Do you guys care that its carpeted, has 20 tv's, oldies playing in the back ground, or can you get by with conrete floors, steel walls, loud workout music. Whats makes a gym that YOU would go to?

I want an atomosphere where I am not afriad I might get yelled at for "dropping" a weight, or someone getting annoyed when I am fighting to get that rest counting rep up. Something thats 24/7.

Another question, if there was a gym with steel walls (metal building) few slected tv's for those game watchers, huge selection of free weights ie squat racks, deadlift areas, etc etc etc, open 24/7 and say 20-25$ a month would you leave your gym to join this?

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i have always liked to up-scale gyms. the ones where people walk around in $200 workout outfits with there cell phones in one hand and a $10 bottle of water in the other.
i like this for three reasons
- they always have new "working" equipment.
- they have other nice cars in the parking lot, so i feel like my car is safer.
- and the biggest reason why is when i see these weak yuppy punks walk around trying to hit on girls it makes me push myself a little harder. i love walking around with my shirt soaked in sweat and looking like its about to rip off my body b/c of the god like effort i just put out doing deadlifts. i might not be the richest guy there but when i get up to get some "free" water EVERYONE gets out of my way.

tattoopierced1

i love my gym.. the motto is "No carpet, No sauna, Just iron"

$150 per year for a 24 hour key and all the equipment you need...cant ask for much better.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
i go to the closet gym since i go during lunch break, it's a pretty ghetto looking 24hr fitness. It was an old newspaper printshop before, all concrete and drab inside ^_^

Chemist2234

Chemist2234

Awards
Concrete and Iron baby, doesn't get much better than that. I'm stuck going to my college gym. You'll always get those little punks that sit on the equipment and don't do anything but talk about how drunk they got last night....makes me sick, Shut up and lift.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
Concrete and Iron baby, doesn't get much better than that. I'm stuck going to my college gym. You'll always get those little punks that sit on the equipment and don't do anything but talk about how drunk they got last night....makes me sick, Shut up and lift.
We have some weird hippies from the local christian college next door...

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
The particular equipment I want and not too crowded, wich is hard to find, last gym I was at they had everything, it was the universities gym and it had everything you could want, only thing I dont remember seeing there was a glute-ham raise and a roman chair, but I would go there at 6am and there would still be a wait for particular machines, people not using towels aswell, I think I was one of the only people there with a towel out of like 30 people, plus I had a paper with my routine, I hated the atmosphere, I like to just zone out and do what I haveto do and not interact with people at all, not tell people if they can stop leaning on the hyper-extension cause yes people do use this aparatus, and if there using the bench machine or just sitting on it to watch there mate do lat pulldowns.
Gym I went to before that was alil more hardcore, old school machines, black and white posters of classic pros on the walls, very quiet outside of peak hour, when I used to go there in the mornings there would only be like 1-2 other people working out, but its a half hour drive from my house without traffic.

I hate the full commercial gyms, literally 20 plasmas on the wall for the people doing cardio wich is pretty cool I guess, as you can watch cable and tune your headphones to what station your watching. But weightstack machines after weightstack machines, barely any free weight benches, people using wrong form people talking to each other inbetween sets, and people dressed to impress full gelled hair, metro shirts, in the gym of all places, I keep giving it to my mate cause he wears his metro shirt to the gym wich is that commercial gym, sad thing is, he blends in wearing it, I went there with clothes that had holes in it, afro hair, 1 week stubble, and I am thinking this isnt a gym its a social club.

If I wasnt getting a home gym I would love a gym thats 24/7.

Last edited:
KrushR

KrushR

Awards
1.) Squat Rack
2.) DBs that run to 140+
3.) Can of Tinactin next to the shower stall.

that's about it.

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
I will tell you what kind of gym I want.

Imagine a tall mountain. At the top, it is bedewed with snow, cursed with rocky crags, and dead drops. You can easily lose your life climbing to the peak of this mountain. There is a route for vehicles, and a route for foot travelers. The wind blows hard there, and it is very cold. Snow often falls, and when a storm comes, the sky grows dark, the thunder rolls forth like the wrath of a Titan, and lightning strikes the peak, sometimes setting loose a rockfall.

Now. Nestled in the peak of this mountain is a fortress with walls five meters thick, crafted with stone hewn right from the mountain's side. A mighty oaken door is the only way in or out. There are small slits for windows, big enough for guns to poke through, or arrows if that's your style. On opening this massive door, you are greeted with with a grand hall, with tables of rough, knotted wood, and chairs made of similar stuff. Maids clad in the traditional uniform are on hand to serve you endless ale, wine, and water from the spring deep in the mountain. This is the place where you speak with friends, drink, and get ready to either work out or set off back home. Heavily armed men, with equally heavy weaponry, stand ready to help you out the door if you become too rowdy or if you're not a member. There is no music but occasionally a piper provides his services with the Great Highland Bagpipes.

You need to put away your stuff first before you can go down to the workout area. So, you enter the locker rooms and showers. Inside, there are steely, tall, large lockers, almost like safes, for you to place your belongings in. Slam or punch them all you want, they're thick enough to take a blow with a sledgehammer. You wonder what the showers are like, so you enter them. There are the usual bathroom facilities, toilets, urinals, and such, but all industrial grade. There is a bath filled with water straight from the underground spring, and showerheads that provide the same, pumped straight from below the room.

On exiting, you go down a stairwell. It is a long, curving, torchlit stair, carved right into the rock of the mountain, railed with steel. After a while of going down the stairs. you can see a faint red glow at the bottom. And then there you see it. The heart of the mountain.
Hollowed out enough to house many, the exercise equipment is kept. A pathway has been cut around the circumference of the mountain as a track for people to run on, and it is a long track indeed, one that sorely tests endurance. The equipment itself is like no other-it is forged from alloys of the greatest strength and the weights are hewn from stone, then carved smooth and reinforced and armored. You need not worry about dumbbell weights here-they go up to 300 pounds. The benches are flat stone, and yield no softness. It requires great strength just to lift the free weights. There are a few ordinary weights for the young and weak to use. A clear, cool spring of running water, straight from underground, is where you drink.

Circling the great pit of magma that heats the mountain's facilities, shielded by a heat collection device, there is a forge for the tougher souls to do metalworking by. The forge hammers are too heavy for ordinary people to lift, but at almost 100 lbs. a bodybuilder makes quick work of it. Here, sparks fly and the din of metal being hammered is an uproar.

And that is a true gym of the Gods. :head:

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
I think I blew everyone away with my vision. So much so that everyone else is scared to post.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Honestly, child care is a must for me.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
I live in SW FL. I would be happy with a gym that had DB's up to 150. Normal Benches that don't have that stupid lever action so when you throw the weight back up there the rack actually bounces AWAY from the bar. What buffon thought of this?!?!? AND most importantly, i want to look around and see 20-40 yr olds not 200 to 400yr olds. Not to mention the stupid comments when I load up the leg press.."you like doing that?"..."geez sounds like that hurts"...."your going to hurt yourself"...etc....I could go on but i'm getting mad...

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
Another question, if there was a gym with steel walls (metal building) few slected tv's for those game watchers, huge selection of free weights ie squat racks, deadlift areas, etc etc etc, open 24/7 and say 20-25$ a month would you leave your gym to join this?
hell yes
:head:

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Add enough benches and power cages so you don't always have to wait and damn right I would change gyms for this. Actually one of the reasons why I'm going to put together my own home gym when I have the room. Powercage, bench, BB, DBs ,some chains...perhaps a pulley system and thats it.

Last edited:
klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
f there was a gym with steel walls (metal building) few slected tv's for those game watchers, huge selection of free weights ie squat racks, deadlift areas, etc etc etc, open 24/7 and say 20-25$ a month would you leave your gym to join this?

I would leave the gym I workout at right now in a second for this gym you describe.

Where I lift now it is savagely g@y. Lots of middle aged women who don't want to be there in the way and using the squat racks/power racks for hanging leg raises.

I get angry thinking about it...

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
haha thanks for all the replies, you might see something like this in the future

BigDago

BigDago

Awards
Concrete. Some carpet. Lots of free weights. Some cardio equipment but def not rows of treadmills in front of a bigscreen tv. My gym, 24 hours, keycard, put on whatever music you want, no "please no shouting" signs. Somewhat of a dress code, no shirt, no shoes, no membership!