Muscle Tear- Need Help........

ltyson

Awards
Not the way I wanted to start my first post, but I have lurked here for sometime and really like this board so maybe I can get some advice.

Yesterday I was going heavy on barbell shrugs, 225 for reps then 315, then jumped to 365. On 365 I felt a pop (swear I heard it also) down in my forearm muscle just below the crease of the elbow area. Never felt anything like that before so my dumb ass pulls another rep and again I get a second pop in the same area and knew I had issues so I rack the weight.

I was wearing wrist straps so I did not drop the weight out of my hands when it happened. Then after that i of course had pain in the area but was able to do some triceps work without killing myself as it seemed to only really, really hurt at certain motions or ranges, but not on things like cable press downs.

The owner of the gym is a long time power lifter so I ask him. He feels around and says i have a class 1 tear. He told me to ice it and that it would heal on it's own. There is no bruising which he said would indicate a more serious tear but a tear none the less. I went home and iced it for 15 minutes on and off a few times.

I do not think it is the bicep tendon as I can do curling motions and such if I do not bring the arm to full extension. It seems to bother me more with the flextion of my wrist and contraction combined primarily when the arm is fully extended. But it is hard to say as different odd movements of my hand and arm bother it at times.

So what is the best thing to do? Any secrets on how to make sure this thing heals properly so that it does not become a long term on-going issue?

Any help or suggestions would be great. Not sure if it matters but I am 37 years old, lifted for several years very seriously and then got out of the game for 13 years and have now been back for about 4 months.

Thanks,
ltyson

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Easy answer would be to rest it for a while and slowly work your way back into things I guess, but I would see a physiotherapist, so they can tell you what you can and cant do and probly give you some exercises so you can make a complete recovery.

ltyson

Awards
Easy answer would be to rest it for a while and slowly work your way back into things I guess, but I would see a physiotherapist, so they can tell you what you can and cant do and probly give you some exercises so you can make a complete recovery.
Thanks man. Rest seems to be the general consensus I am hearing. Not much else I can do except just let it heal on it's own over time most everyone says. I appreciate the input.

ltyson