Arm/Forearm pain

RBakerian

Awards
Hi everyone, this is my first post on here. Here’s a bit of a backlog.

I have been working out for about 3 years on and off, more off than on.. but about 12 weeks ago I started working out very seriously. 5 times a week, with a friend who knows his stuff, and has been working out for four years heavily.

I have been getting this really bad pain in my outer forearms, and its usually when I am doing doing a set, and release the weight. Now I read on here, and it seems fairly common. But the pain lasts, now, into the next day, and my right arm is really bothering me.. I stopped doing flat curls as they hurt too much. I have been using moist heat, and I picked up some glucosamine and cod liver oil yesterday that I have been taking. Along with theragesic. I also ordered some Cissus RX hoping it will help.

I take protein, and Muscle Tech’s NAN0.. along with GAKIC. Was taking creatine as well. I’m thiking I did too much too fast, and my biceps got stronger than my arms/forearms are. I have really transformed in the past 3 months. Is there anything I can do? Did I tear something? Tendonitis?

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
You have Humeral stress periostitis. The arm equivalent of "shin splints". It usually comes from doing heavy curls and usually relieved by stopping Barbell curls or even EZ curls for a while. Some even stop direct bicep work for a while.

Here is a medical device that can be used to help prevent this problem in the future.

Exercise Stik

Compact, durable upper extremity exerciser strengthens forearms, wrists and fingers. Excellent for improving supination/ pronation post wrist fracture. Easily adjusts from near zero to resistance that requires isometric contraction. Foam grips.

Exercise Stik

Basically you want to strengthen the muscle that runs along the bone of your forearm on the pinky side.

An inexpensive way to do this is using rice in a bucket. You fill up a bucket (ex. large paint bucket) and then stick your forearm down inside it and rotate your balled fist in a circle for about 25 reps. Then do it the other way. The key to this exercise is keeping your forearm and elbow still and to not let them move. This isolates the forearm muscle and works the whole thing.

I have also read where stretching forearms before and between exercises helps.

Examples:

• Put your hands together like you're praying with your elbows shoulder high and hands in front of your chin and stretch and rotate your fingers away from and towards you.
  • Grab your fingers with the other hand and pull them in towards you and in towards your wrist and rotate and stretch. Focus on range of motion in every way you can before, in between each set and after.
  • Stand with the arm extended straight out to a wall, fingers pointing up and hand flat on the wall. Take a step or 2 back and keeping your hand straight and without cheating use your fingers to press yourself back. You can put your hands lower on the wall to give a greater stretch, depending on your wrists' ROM. And of course step back more to make it harder.
So Strengthen, Stretching and no BB bicep curls seem to help. Couple this with a high amount of Cissus everyday and an Advil before working out and you should feel better. You might also consider using wrist gloves when you lift. They prevent you from bending your wrist joints as you lift .

RBakerian

Awards
You have Humeral stress periostitis. The arm equivalent of "shin splints". It usually comes from doing heavy curls and usually relieved by stopping Barbell curls or even EZ curls for a while. Some even stop direct bicep work for a while.

Here is a medical device that can be used to help prevent this problem in the future.

Exercise Stik

Compact, durable upper extremity exerciser strengthens forearms, wrists and fingers. Excellent for improving supination/ pronation post wrist fracture. Easily adjusts from near zero to resistance that requires isometric contraction. Foam grips.

Exercise Stik

Basically you want to strengthen the muscle that runs along the bone of your forearm on the pinky side.

An inexpensive way to do this is using rice in a bucket. You fill up a bucket (ex. large paint bucket) and then stick your forearm down inside it and rotate your balled fist in a circle for about 25 reps. Then do it the other way. The key to this exercise is keeping your forearm and elbow still and to not let them move. This isolates the forearm muscle and works the whole thing.

I have also read where stretching forearms before and between exercises helps.

Examples:

• Put your hands together like you're praying with your elbows shoulder high and hands in front of your chin and stretch and rotate your fingers away from and towards you.
  • Grab your fingers with the other hand and pull them in towards you and in towards your wrist and rotate and stretch. Focus on range of motion in every way you can before, in between each set and after.
  • Stand with the arm extended straight out to a wall, fingers pointing up and hand flat on the wall. Take a step or 2 back and keeping your hand straight and without cheating use your fingers to press yourself back. You can put your hands lower on the wall to give a greater stretch, depending on your wrists' ROM. And of course step back more to make it harder.
So Strengthen, Stretching and no BB bicep curls seem to help. Couple this with a high amount of Cissus everyday and an Advil before working out and you should feel better. You might also consider using wrist gloves when you lift. They prevent you from bending your wrist joints as you lift .
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to check out that exercise stick. I'm thinking I need to strenghten my forearms.. But the pain is pretty bad, and I really dont want to stop doing bicep work.. I may have to for a week or so.. I use gloves now, but those wrist gloves are the ones that look like the isolate your wrists correct?

Should the heat be helping? Along with the glucosamine and cod liver oil? Or are these un-necessary.. ?

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to check out that exercise stick. I'm thinking I need to strenghten my forearms..
It is not the overall forearm strength that is the problem...rather it seems to be that thin muscle that attaches or runs along the outer bone. So think of the type of twisting forearm strength exercises as the forearm equivalent of rotator-cuff work.

But the pain is pretty bad, and I really dont want to stop doing bicep work.. I may have to for a week or so..
You can reduce your curl poundages and make up for this by slowing your tempo.

You can switch to nonbarbell curls...perhaps hammer curl or cable curls.

You can do medium grip chin-up (palms facing you) to directly work the biceps and hopefully limit the forearm pain. You could also use wrist straps on the chin up bar to further reduce the strain on the wrists.

I use gloves now, but those wrist gloves are the ones that look like the isolate your wrists correct?
It is the one that covers the wrist and prevents the wrist from hinging too much. Even a stiff wrist wrap will work well.

Should the heat be helping? Along with the glucosamine and cod liver oil? Or are these un-necessary.. ?
Actually some people ice the area down to get relief. I don't think glucosamine will help at least not noticably so. Concerning oil I saw a post on a forum from a competitive bodybuilder who uses Flax oil whenever he gets wrist splints and it relieves them within days...so maybe cod liver oil will help as well.