Tyson admitted drug problem during arrest

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Police: Tyson admitted drug problem during arrest
Associated Press

PHOENIX -- Mike Tyson was ordered released without bond on a felony drug possession charge Friday after an early-morning arrest in which Buckeye, Ariz. police said they found two bags of white powder in his back pocket.

AP Photo/Jack Kurtz
Police said Mike Tyson "showed signs of impairment" early Friday morning and voluntarily submitted to a field sobriety test.
"He said he was an addict and had a problem," according to a police probable cause statement filed in Maricopa County Superior Court. "He admitted possessing the bags of cocaine, and said he uses it anytime he can get his hands on it."

Tyson was arrested early Friday, after nearly ramming a police car, on suspicion of driving under the influence and possession of cocaine when police stopped him shortly after he left a Scottsdale nightclub. According to the report, an officer saw Tyson trying to wipe a white powder off the console of his BMW as he approached.

In court Friday morning, the former heavyweight champ was dressed in an oversized golf shirt, baggy jeans and tennis shoes. He said nothing, periodically tapping his feet or fingers while waiting for the judge to enter. Tyson, who was not charged with DUI, did not enter a plea and had no lawyer.

No alcohol was found in his system, and a DUI-drugs charge was not filed pending toxicology tests.

Under the terms of his release, Tyson must submit to drug and alcohol testing and may not drink or take nonprescription drugs while the case is pending.

He refused comment as he left court.

Tyson, who shot to fame by knocking out Trevor Berbick in 1986 to become the youngest heavyweight champion in history at age 20, has had several run-ins with the law over the years, including serving prison time for rape. The most infamous incident was in the ring in 1997 when he bit Evander Holyfield's ear during a fight.

Sgt. Larry Hall said the boxer was stopped about 1:45 a.m. after his car almost struck a sheriff's vehicle while leaving the club.

"He showed signs of impairment and voluntarily submitted to field sobriety tests," said Hall, a member of the Buckeye Police Department who was working in the area as part of a holiday DUI task force.

Hall said the boxer was alone in the car.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Tyson ran a stop sign and almost hit a deputy.

"He had to slam on his brakes and take evasive action," Arpaio said of the officer. "Luckily, the deputy was alert."

While at the county jail, Arpaio said Tyson was isolated from other prisoners for his own safety.

The sheriff said Tyson has been to the county jail before -- as a guest talking to juvenile offenders about the dangers of drugs and alcohol.

"The irony is he did a great job with these kids -- stay away from drugs, don't drink, stay out of trouble," Arpaio said.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

This is so sad. I have always been a huge Tyson fan. Comeback after Comeback I've always wanted the guy to come out on top. You always hear about how giving he is to friends. Then his wife beating escapade, money troubles and now drug problem, it's sad. It's almost as if he has a child's mind inside a gifted athlete's body.

Could've been the best ever...it's so sad.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tyson was the poster child for what's wrong in professional sports.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Because he was used, abused and thrown away and it was completely legal.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
So you are not basically calling him a bad person, the the treatment of the professional athelete.

THAT, I AGREE WITH FULL-HEARTEDLY

psycho

psycho

Awards
Tyson has squandered more in his life than anyone else I can think of.. Sad too... He use to be the F-ing Man!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Because he was used, abused and thrown away and it was completely legal.
That's a hell of a point. Once his trainer died things began to spiral downward for him. I don't think I've seen another athlete self-destruct as bad as he did.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Why do you say that?

I think Bonds and TO have that title.

Ummm.... :wtf: You are kidding, right?

Bonds? All he does is SUPPOSIDLY put chemicals in his body. Has he ever hurt anyone? How about you PROVE he even used roids before you say he represents what is wrong with sports.

TO? Sure, hes got a big mouth. Has he ever hurt anyone? no. He gets national attention for things like signing a ball with a sharpie, while most guys at his level wont sign anything.

How about that guy that started the brawl between indy/new york. Now there is a trouble maker.

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
They really should make Racial Profiling less noticeable especially in the case of Mike Tyson.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Ummm.... :wtf: You are kidding, right?

Bonds? All he does is SUPPOSIDLY put chemicals in his body. Has he ever hurt anyone? How about you PROVE he even used roids before you say he represents what is wrong with sports.

TO? Sure, hes got a big mouth. Has he ever hurt anyone? no. He gets national attention for things like signing a ball with a sharpie, while most guys at his level wont sign anything.

How about that guy that started the brawl between indy/new york. Now there is a trouble maker.

The modern day professional athelete is arogant, ignorant and above all a horrible person who only thinks of themselves. TO enbodies this and Bonds does exactly the same.

I am talking about on a constant basis. not someone who starts an isolated incident. Signing a ball with a sharpie is a great thing for kids to see, being a **** to the media is another great thing to be, to you coach, teammates and fans...both those guys are infamous for all of that.

I wouldn't bring drugs into this conversation, even though they are a big part of modern athletics. First off, when drugs are concerned, you know Bonds has juiced, just accept it. I'm not saying its wrong, but he has, so don't dilute yourself. Second, we all know TO's drug exploits...:toofunny: ...I hate that guys

B4n3 0n3

I think Mike does all right in jail. Who is gonna mess with Mike Tyson? Nobody is.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
poor iron mike for some reason im having a hard time feeling sorry for him i just cant imagine hes made 300 mill. and dead arse broke customado is rolling over in his grave

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's not like he spent it all by himself. There were plenty of leeches helping him along the whole way.

And how is it racial profiling if he crossed into traffic and almost hit a police car? Not to mention unless it was a convertible with the top down you're not going to be able to see if the occupants are black or white at that time of morning.

Of course racial profiling happens all the time but you can't assume it's one way or another unless you know all the facts.

psycho

psycho

Awards
It's not like he spent it all by himself. There were plenty of leeches helping him along the whole way.

And how is it racial profiling if he crossed into traffic and almost hit a police car? Not to mention unless it was a convertible with the top down you're not going to be able to see if the occupants are black or white at that time of morning.

Of course racial profiling happens all the time but you can't assume it's one way or another unless you know all the facts.
Ditto all of that...

Race card seems to be popular now days...

You can add Pacman Jones to the list of a-hole athletes that thinks he is above the law and a hugely bad influence on kids.. Some of you may not hear what I hear because he is a local guy to me.. He is trouble!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
The modern day professional athelete is arogant, ignorant and above all a horrible person who only thinks of themselves. TO enbodies this and Bonds does exactly the same.

I am talking about on a constant basis. not someone who starts an isolated incident. Signing a ball with a sharpie is a great thing for kids to see, being a **** to the media is another great thing to be, to you coach, teammates and fans...both those guys are infamous for all of that.

I wouldn't bring drugs into this conversation, even though they are a big part of modern athletics. First off, when drugs are concerned, you know Bonds has juiced, just accept it. I'm not saying its wrong, but he has, so don't dilute yourself. Second, we all know TO's drug exploits...:toofunny: ...I hate that guys
You make some great points and I have a theory on why some of today's athletes are the way they are.

Every kid is told he's something special and that he's God's gift to his sport at an early age. I have a good friend who coaches a solid JC program and I went with him to the combine. You might ask "combine, for high schoolers ?" Yes there is such a thing. Many kids who are average players are told how great they are and how they'll be pros one day. This starts an early age (13-15).

The kids are over-protected. When they do bad in school their grades get fixed. When they do something stupid off the field they don't pay the same punishment that other civillians do. They're treated in this over-protective environment and they grow up expecting to do what they want and expecting to get away with stuff.

Once they're in high profile college program or pro team they keep acting the same way. The public only hears about them at this point in the athletes life because they are in the media, they didn't know these athletes had a previous pattern of bad behavior and they ask "Why would a high profile athlete act in such a manner ?" I know this is not true of all athletes but it is more common today then ever before. Throw in higher salaries, money driven agents, endorsements, and you suddenly have created a mini-monster.

SHADOW2492

Awards
This line is pure comedy gold
While at the county jail, Arpaio said Tyson was isolated from other prisoners for his own safety.
Because he is in total danger, who in their right mind would fight him bare fisted he could knock someones face off, I could imagine him easily killing someone with one blow.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This line is pure comedy gold
Because he is in total danger, who in their right mind would fight him bare fisted he could knock someones face off, I could imagine him easily killing someone with one blow.
Prison doesn't work like that. It doesn't matter how good you are with your hands when somebody stabs you in the back or slits your throat from behind. Most prisoners are not in their right mind or they wouldn't be in prison.lol

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
They really should make Racial Profiling less noticeable especially in the case of Mike Tyson.
What profiling? He almost rammed into a police car! They're not suppossed to pull him over?