Awards
  • Established
Recently, I was diagnosed with A A. A. D. D. - Age Activated Attention
Deficit Disorder. This is how it manifests:

I decide to water my garden.

As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide my
car needs washing.

As I start toward the garage, I notice that there is mail on the porch
table that I brought up from the mail box earlier.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.

I lay my car keys down on the table, put the junk mail in the garbage can
under the table, and notice that the can is full.

So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the garbage
first.

But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out
the garbage anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my check book off the table, and see that there is only 1 check
left. My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go inside the
house to my desk where I find the can of Coke that I had been drinking.

I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the Coke aside
so that I don't accidentally knock it over. I see that the Coke is getting
warm, and I decide I should put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Coke, a vase of flowers on the
counter catches my eye--they need to be watered.

I set the Coke down on the counter, and I discover my reading glasses that
I've been searching for all morning

I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water
the flowers.

I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water
and suddenly I spot the TV remote. Someone left it on the kitchen table.

I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV, I will be looking for the
remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide
to put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the
flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on the
floor. So, I set the remote back down on the table, get some towels and
wipe up the spill.

Then, I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:

----the car isn't washed,

----the bills aren't paid,

----there is a warm can of Coke sitting on the counter,

----the flowers don't have enough water,

----there is still only 1 check in my check book,

----I can't find the remote,

----I can't find my glasses,

----and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really
baffled because I know I was busy all day long, and I'm really tired.

I realize this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for
it, but first I'll check my e-mail.

Do me a favor, will you? Forward this message to everyone you know,
because I don't remember to whom it has been sent.

Don't laugh -- if this isn't you yet, your day is coming!!

Zombie

Zombie

Awards
  • Established
lol wtf, is it contagious? could it be trasmited thru internet forums?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
LMAO someone didn't take his nootropics when he was young :D

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
lol........Somebody needs some FOCUS FACTOR!!!!!!!

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Two of my friends LOOK AT THAT PRETTY BIRD were diagnosed with A.D. HELL YEAH THE PATS CLINCHED THE DIVISION D. Before they were put on meds AHH ****! I FORGOT TO CASH MY CHECK they were perfectly happy and funtional kids but after they started concerta MERRY CHRISTMASS they both attempted suicide. Neiter were successful and since have stopped taking it. Conisidence? ITS NOON ALREADY i think not.

Concerta is the biggest scam since cell tech.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have ADD too, except I have never once taken medication. I used to get the scrip and sell it.

Muuuahahaha

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
A.D.D. is the ability to tune out stupid people............i'm proud to have it and will never take medication for it

:rofl:

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
This information shows how ADD/ADHD can be treated with Nootripic's, even if you don't have ADHD/ADD you may very well find this intresting and useful.

Hyperactivity—
normal behavior or ADHD?
Affecting 3 to 5% of school-aged children, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADD or ADHD) is age-inappropriate, excessive physical activity. Since “normal” childhood behavior is not easily defined, it may be unclear whether a child truly suffers from ADHD or is just more rambunctious than another.

ADHD often goes undiagnosed—Many affected children grow into adults unaware of their condition
ADHD can affect learning—Learning disabilities or emotional problems often go hand in hand with ADHD

Where do I focus?
Self-care for ADHD can be approached in a number of ways—but it can be hard to know just where to start. To make it easier, our doctors recommend trying these simple steps first:

Check out L-carnitine
To improve behavior, take 100 mg for each 2.2 pounds of body weight a day, with a maximum of 4 grams a day
Supplement with essential fatty acids
Getting approximately 186 mg of EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), 480 mg of DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), 96 mg of GLA (gamma-linolenic acid), 864 mg of linoleic acid, and 42 mg of arachidonic acid supplies fatty acids important to brain function
Try the Feingold diet
Work with the Feingold Association or a knowledgeable practitioner to reduce or eliminate additives and other food issues that may affect ADHD
Give magnesium a go
200 mg a day can address possible magnesium deficiency that may influence ADHD
These recommendations are not comprehensive and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor or pharmacist. Continue reading the full ADHD article for more in-depth, fully-referenced information on medicines, vitamins, herbs, and dietary and lifestyle changes that may be helpful.

Skip to:
About
Checklist
Symptoms
Treatments
Dietary changes
Lifestyle changes
Supplements
References
About ADHD
Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADD or ADHD) is defined as age-inappropriate impulsiveness, lack of concentration, and sometimes excessive physical activity.

ADHD has been associated with learning difficulties and lack of social skills. Obviously what constitutes “normal” in these areas covers a wide spectrum; thus it is unclear which child suffers true ADHD and which child is just more rambunctious or rebellious than another. No objective criteria exist to accurately confirm the presence of ADHD. ADHD often goes undiagnosed if not caught at an early age, and it affects many adults who may not be aware of their condition.

Checklist for Attention Deficit–Hyperactivity Disorder

Rating Nutritional Supplements Herbs
Essential fatty acids
L-carnitine
Magnesium
Zinc
B vitamins
Evening primrose oil
Vitamin B6
Reliable and relatively consistent scientific data showing a substantial health benefit.
Contradictory, insufficient, or preliminary studies suggesting a health benefit or minimal health benefit.
For an herb, supported by traditional use but minimal or no scientific evidence. For a supplement, little scientific support and/or minimal health benefit.

What are the symptoms of ADHD?
ADHD is generally recognized by a pattern of inattention, distractibility, impulsivity, and hyperactivity estimated to affect 3 to 5% of school-aged children. Learning disabilities or emotional problems often accompany ADHD. Children with ADHD experience an inability to sit still and pay attention in class, and they often engage in disruptive behavior.

Medical treatments
The most commonly prescribed prescription drugs, methylphenidate (Ritalin®, Metadate®) and amphetamine mixtures (Adderall®), are considered stimulant drugs, though they produce a paradoxical calming effect in people with ADHD. Another medication less frequently used is pemoline (Cylert®).

Dietary changes that may be helpful
The two most studied dietary approaches to ADHD are the Feingold diet and a hypoallergenic diet. The Feingold diet was developed by Benjamin Feingold, M.D., on the premise that salicylates (chemicals similar to aspirin that are found in a wide variety of foods) are an underlying cause of hyperactivity. In some studies, this hypothesis does not appear to hold up.1 However, in studies where markedly different levels of salicylates were investigated, a causative role for salicylates could be detected in some hyperactive children.2 As many as 10 to 25% of children may be sensitive to salicylates.3 Parents of ADHD children can contact local Feingold Associations for more information about which foods and medicines contain salicylates.

The Feingold diet also eliminates synthetic additives, dyes, and chemicals, which are commonly added to processed foods. The yellow dye tartrazine has been specifically shown to provoke symptoms in controlled studies of ADHD-affected children.4 Again, not every child reacts, but enough do so that a trial avoidance may be worthwhile. The Feingold diet is complex and requires guidance from either the Feingold Association or a healthcare professional familiar with the Feingold diet.

In one study, children diagnosed with ADHD were put on a hypoallergenic diet, and those children who improved (about one-third) were then challenged with food additives. All of them experienced an aggravation of symptoms when given these additives.5 Other studies have shown that eliminating individual allergenic foods and additives from the diet can help children with attention problems.6 7

Some parents believe that consuming sugar may aggravate ADHD. One study found that avoiding sugar reduced aggressiveness and restlessness in hyperactive children.8 Girls who restrict sugar have been reported to improve more than boys.9 However, a study using large amounts of sugar and aspartame (NutraSweet®) found that negative reactions to these substances were limited to just a few children.10 While most studies have not found sugar to stimulate hyperactivity, except in rare cases,11 the experimental design of these studies may not have been ideal for demonstrating an adverse effect of sugar on ADHD, if one exists. Further studies are needed.

Lifestyle changes that may be helpful
Smoking during pregnancy should be avoided, as it appears to increase the risk of giving birth to a child who develops ADHD.12

Lead13 and other heavy-metal exposures14 have been linked to ADHD. If other therapies do not seem to be helping a child with ADHD, the possibility of heavy-metal exposure can be explored with a health practitioner.

Nutritional supplements that may be helpful
Some children with ADHD have lowered levels of magnesium. In a preliminary, controlled trial, children with ADHD and low magnesium status were given 200 mg of magnesium per day for six months.15 Compared with 25 other magnesium-deficient ADHD children, those given magnesium supplementation had a significant decrease in hyperactive behavior.

In a double-blind study, children with ADHD who received 15 mg of zinc per day for six weeks showed significantly greater behavioral improvement, compared with children who received a placebo.16 This study was conducted in Iran, and zinc deficiency has been found to be quite common in certain parts of that country. It is not clear, therefore, to what extent the results of this study apply to children living in other countries.

In a double-blind study, supplementation with L-carnitine for eight weeks resulted in clinical improvement in 54% of a group of boys with ADHD, compared with a 13% response rate in the placebo group.17 The amount of L-carnitine used in this study was 100 mg per 2.2 pounds of body weight per day, with a maximum of 4 grams per day. No adverse effects were seen, although one child developed an unpleasant body odor while taking L-carnitine. Researchers have found that this uncommon side effect of L-carnitine can be prevented by supplementing with riboflavin. Although no serious side effects were seen in this study, the safety of long-term L-carnitine supplementation in children has not been well studied. This treatment should, therefore, be monitored by a physician.

A deficiency of several essential fatty acids has been observed in some children with ADHD compared with unaffected children.18 19 One study gave children with ADHD evening primrose oil supplements in an attempt to correct the problem.20 Although a degree of benefit was seen, results were not pronounced. In a 12-week double-blind study, children with ADHD were given either a placebo or a fatty-acid supplement providing daily: 186 mg of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), 480 mg of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), 96 mg of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), 864 mg of linoleic acid, and 42 mg of arachidonic acid. Compared with the placebo, the fatty-acid supplement produced significant improvements in both cognitive function and behavioral problems.21 No adverse effects were seen.

B vitamins, particularly vitamin B6, have also been used for ADHD. Deficient levels of vitamin B6 have been detected in some ADHD patients.22 In a study of six children with low blood levels of the neurotransmitter (chemical messenger) serotonin, vitamin B6 supplementation (15–30 mg per 2.2 pounds of body weight per day) was found to be more effective than methylphenidate (Ritalin®). However, lower amounts of vitamin B6 were not beneficial.23 The effective amount of vitamin B6 in this study was extremely large and could potentially cause nerve damage, although none occurred in this study. A practitioner knowledgeable in nutrition must be consulted when using high amounts of vitamin B6. High amounts of other B vitamins have shown mixed results in relieving ADHD symptoms.24 25

Are there any side effects or interactions?
Refer to the individual supplement for information about any side effects or interactions.

References
1. Harley JP, Ray RS, Tomasi L, et al. Hyperkinesis and food additives: testing the Feingold hypothesis. Pediatrics 1978;61:818–21.

2. Levy F, Dumbrell S, Hobbes G, et al. Hyperkinesis and diet: a double-blind crossover trial with a tartrazine challenge. Med J Aust 1978;1:61–4.

3. Williams JI, Cram DM. Diet in the management of hyperkinesis: a review of the tests of Feingold’s hypotheses. Can Psychiatr Assoc J 1978;23:241–8 [review].

4. Rowe KS, Rowe KJ. Synthetic food coloring and behavior: a dose response effect in a double-blind, placebo-controlled, repeated-measures study. J Pediatr 1994;125:691–8.

5. Boris M, Mandel FS. Foods and additives are common causes of the attention deficit hyperactive disorder in children. Ann Allergy 1994;72:462–8.

6. Carter CM, Urbanowicz M, Hemsley R, et al. Effects of a few food diet in attention deficit disorder. Arch Dis Child 1993;69:564–8.

7. Egger J, Stolla A, McEwen LM. Controlled trial of hyposensitisation in children with food-induced hyperkinetic syndrome. Lancet 1992;339:1150–3.

8. Prinz RJ, Roberts WA, Hantman E. Dietary correlates of hyperactive behavior in children. J Consult Clin Psychol 1980;48:760–9.

9. Rosen LA, Booth SR, Bender ME, et al. Effects of sugar (sucrose) on children’s behavior. J Consult Clin Psychol 1988;56:583–9.

10. Wolraich ML, Lindgren superdrol, Stumbo PJ, et al. Effects of diets high in sucrose or aspartame on the behavior and cognitive performance of children. N Engl J Med 1994;330:301–7.

11. Wolraich ML, Wilson DB, White JW. The effect of sugar on behavior or cognition in children. A meta-analysis. JAMA 1995;274:1617–21.

12. Milberger S, Biederman J, Faraone SV, et al. Is maternal smoking during pregnancy a risk factor for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children? Am J Psychiatry 1996;153:1138–42.

13. Tuthill RW. Hair lead levels related to children’s classroom attention-deficit behavior. Arch Environ Health 1996;51:214–20.

14. Krigman MR, Bouldin TW, Mushak P. Metal toxicity in the nervous system. Monogr Pathol 1985;(26):58–100.

15. Starobrat-Hermelin B, Kozielec T. The effects of magnesium physiological supplementation on hyperactivity in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Positive response to magnesium oral loading test. Magnes Res 1997;10:149–56.

16. Akhondzadeh S, Mohammadi MR, Khademi M. Zinc sulfate as an adjunct to methylphenidate for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children: a double blind and randomized trial [ISRCTN64132371]. BMC Psychiatry 2004;4:9.

17. Van Oudheusden LJ, Scholte HR. Efficacy of carnitine in the treatment of children with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 2002;67:33–8.

18. Mitchell EA, Aman MG, Turbott SH, Manku M. Clinical characteristics and serum essential fatty acid levels in hyperactive children. Clin Pediatr 1987;26:406–11.

19. Stevens LJ, Zentall SS, Deck JL, et al. Essential fatty acid metabolism in boys with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Am J Clin Nutr 1995;62:761–8.

20. Aman MG, Mitchell EA, Turbott SH. The effects of essential fatty acid supplementation by Efamol in hyperactive children. J Abnorm Child Psychol 1987;15:75–90.

21. Richardson AJ, Puri BK. A randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the effects of supplementation with highly unsaturated fatty acids on ADHD-related symptoms in children with specific learning difficulties. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 2002;26:233–9.

22. Bhagavan HN, Coleman M, Coursin DB. The effect of pyridoxine hydrochloride on blood serotonin and pyridoxal phosphate contents in hyperactive children. Pediatrics 1975;55:437–41.

23. Coleman M, Steinberg G, Tippett J, et al. A preliminary study of the effect of pyridoxine administration in a subgroup of hyperkinetic children: a double-blind crossover comparison with methylphenidate. Biol Psychiatry 1979;14:741–51.

24. Brenner A. The effects of megadoses of selected B complex vitamins on children with hyperkinesis: controlled studies with long term followup. J Learning Dis 1982;15:258–64.

25. Haslam RHA. Is there a role for megavitamin therapy in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder? Adv Neurol 1992;58:303–10.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I think ADHD is alack of interest/ lack of proper genetic nutrition (based upon lineage). LMAO at your post sounds like me but i get it all done!! I go from folding laundry to wiping the space under my sink!