anyone an IIS/website expert i need some help!

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Ok..so I'm one of 2 network admins at my "company"..i work for the state, and today was super hectic..holiday party at noon...meeting with Cisco at 2.....

we have this website thats used by EVERYONE in the state and i "administer" it...I didn't build it and have never built a website. I am only familiar with the basics of IIS manager..the backend I can do..front end is a different story.

Anyway.....today I went to go check our SSL cert b/c its expiring some time next month and I noticed the C drive was almost out of space...i started deleting stuff that we didnt need, I had IIS manager open and highlighted a folder on the desktop and hit delete...of course it said are u sure u want to delete i said yes....turns out it was still on the IIS manager and i deleted the f'n website out of IIS
I quickly recreated it..and in about 2 minutes after i deleted it I already had the help desk coming over asking whats up with SAGE.....then my CIO comes down.

OF course I say..."I don't know, I just noticed it and am already working on it"

It works when I hit browse via IIS manager, but no one from outside our state network can get to it.

The NAT'd address seems to be invalid, however when I ping the sites name that people would use from outside, it returns the correct IP etc. I am at a total loss.

We use a "portal.asp" file as the first file in the "directory" tab in the properties of the website.

I mean i know i recreated the site correctly bc i spoke with the vendor who does all of the actual work on the site and its working. I can do https://our private address and get to it just fine, just no one from outside

I mean why would just deleting the site from IIS, recreating it exactly the same have that happen? THe backend is still perfectly fine.

ANyone anyone? I'm so not owning up to it...lol

h19

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Hey Hamper19 - what's the code in that 'portal.asp' page? Is there a reference to an invalid or closed port #? What OS is the webserver running on? If outside users link directly to the IP address, rathter than the URL, can they see the site?

BV

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Hey Hamper19 - what's the code in that 'portal.asp' page? Is there a reference to an invalid or closed port #? What OS is the webserver running on? If outside users link directly to the IP address, rathter than the URL, can they see the site?

BV
I knew it, I just knew it. BigV is a geek! :D

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I knew it, I just knew it. BigV is a geek!
SHHHHHH! Don't let that get out!

Ok!! I admit it! All I want for Christmas is a ForceFX Lightsaber! :D

:bb:

BV

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
the portal.asp file is fine, and you can't get there from the public address if you type in IP.

HOpefully it's fixed soon lol..