What to do with empty supp tubs?

JJC

Awards
  • Established
I was saving my larger empty protein tubs so that I could make my own pre w/o mix, but then I decided against it in fear of mixing issues and settling of larger granules.

So, besides throwing them away or, even better, recycling them, what do you guys do with your empties?

(If this should be moved to the Supplement forum, then please do so Admins...)

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use them to store my bulk powders or grow plants :)

I use my 5 pound protein jugs to store my 10 pound containers I buy which usually come in doggy type bags.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I usually use them as spitters...they really are prefect size...

Or If I'm going to be gone for a while, and I need to bring a bunch of pills with me, I'll use the smaller ones to store assorted pills and poweders (already in baggies) just as an easier way to keep them together and keep liquid gels from being damaged.

Or I just throw them out.

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
I use the big tubs for change and such, and they make great use in the garage for random objects such as screws and such.

I use the small ones in drawers for organizers like paperclips

tattoopierced1

they're nice to fill up with doggie poop from your yard... easily disposable, and they trap the smell.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
great place to store used pins, needles, etc. ...when its pretty full i just throw out the whole container

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
great place to store used pins, needles, etc. ...when its pretty full i just throw out the whole container

One of my friends used to do that as well, but then he heard that you can get in trouble for disposing of pins that way because they say the pins can penetrate the container. He puts them in an official "sharps" container which are available for free at most places. Not to mention that you can also drop the full containers off randomly so they can be properly disposed of.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
well i always dispose of my needles with the caps placed back on them so i'm not too concerned about it :)

JJC

Awards
  • Established
interesting...

I like the plant one...not something I would've thought of. I could use it for spare change and storing odds and ends too.

I'm not one to chew nor pin myelf so that doesn't really apply. But the other options are pretty good.

As for storing things when you travel...I'm going on vacation and wouldn't mind bringing some protein/bcaas for after running on the beach :woohoo: and some zma pills for before bed but am afraid that they will get confiscated at the airport if they don't know what it is. So I might just skip it and just do that when I travel not by plane.

Plus I could use a little break from the supps...

ANYWAYS...I want to hear more about what people do with their containers! Thanks for the posts already guys!

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
yea dude, never bring an open container or pills, powders or liquids through airport security...

you're bound to walk akwardly for the rest of the day...

JJC

Awards
  • Established
Oh and I don't really know that much about sharps and disposing of needles but they make the hazardous/dangerous material containers for a reason...probably a reason why you see them in every doctor's office...but I don't want to be one to tell you what to do.

If the caps stay attached fairly well and they end up going to the correct facility for processing, then I'd say you're fine.

JJC

Awards
  • Established
PumpingIron-

Yeah that's what I figured as far as bringing my supps with me on the vacation....

This will be a good respite before I go hard again.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Oh and I don't really know that much about sharps and disposing of needles but they make the hazardous/dangerous material containers for a reason...probably a reason why you see them in every doctor's office...but I don't want to be one to tell you what to do.

If the caps stay attached fairly well and they end up going to the correct facility for processing, then I'd say you're fine.

I have a buddy that is a diabetic, so he jsut recaps his slin pins and throghs them in the trash. And he's one of those guys that would go out of his way to dispose of pins in one of those red containers if he needed too...

So I'm assuming it really isn't nessecary...

Kris4153

Kris4153

Awards
  • Established
So, besides throwing them away or, even better, recycling them, what do you guys do with your empties?
Make giant castles and play "save the princess"? :head:

tattoopierced1

One of my friends used to do that as well, but then he heard that you can get in trouble for disposing of pins that way because they say the pins can penetrate the container. He puts them in an official "sharps" container which are available for free at most places. Not to mention that you can also drop the full containers off randomly so they can be properly disposed of.
nope. at least where I live, as long as you put them in a container that is hard to penetrate, you can dispose of needles in a container like laundry detergent etc...

JJC

Awards
  • Established
nope. at least where I live, as long as you put them in a container that is hard to penetrate, you can dispose of needles in a container like laundry detergent etc...
sounds good to me!

Make giant castles and play "save the princess"?
Aw hells yeah, I mean by the time I have enough protein tubs to build something sweet, I should be big and muslcey enough to be the prototypical "knight in shining armor". Better see if my gf wants to do some role playing...haha

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
well i always dispose of my needles with the caps placed back on them so i'm not too concerned about it :)
I have a buddy that is a diabetic, so he jsut recaps his slin pins and throghs them in the trash. And he's one of those guys that would go out of his way to dispose of pins in one of those red containers if he needed too...

So I'm assuming it really isn't nessecary...
If you cap them your probably don't have anything to worry about.

Sometimes I'm just anal about things and would worry about someone finding them who I didn't want to know and trying to explain it or kids on the block pulling it out. I just worry too much LOL

size

Awards
  • Established
For those who choose to dispose of pins in them or any other sharp material may I suggest filling the jug with an expanding foam sealant before disposing of it. Keep it safe.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just thought of this, but I use my empty cottage cheese containers for protein when I'm going away for the weekend.No point in taking the whole jug with me if I don't need to.

JJC

Awards
  • Established
True. I usually use those for bringing cooked food with me if I'm going somewhere like work or something. You could also use the smaller tubs (from other things that come in sizes less than 1 kg) to fill with protein when you travel too.

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
they're nice to fill up with doggie poop from your yard... easily disposable, and they trap the smell.

LOL!!! I do the same f-ing thing! My two dogs are able to fill up the 5 lb cans in under a week.

Gumbo

protomike

protomike

Awards
  • Established
i use my small nutraplanet ones for my guitar picks and spare strings... i like the medium ones for bringing protein, tea bags, almonds, and cereal with me when i goto work durring the day, or when i visit friends for the weekend. i have a small protein from the last 2lbs of ON that i bought, that i use for change, and another for condoms.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That reminds me of another thing. Once I empty out a bulk powder container I use it to put the capped powders in it instead of having to use a baggy with marker written on it.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Hey this reminds me if all ya fools bought Anabolic Innovations Protein Powder you wouldn't be left with big plastic jugs. :nutkick:

No big plastic container can keep your protein as fresh as the Anabolic Innovations container with a one way valve to push out the air :).

:toofunny:

CROWLER

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was wondering what the hell that thing was...I assumed it only had to do with intial packaging.

And now you know!

heftylefty58

Awards
What a great idea--I've been using a mini-steel garbage can I picked up from OSH, but I like your idea much better.... (My can is getting NASTY.)

Just curious--what do you use to get the poop into the jar?

(Although these jars have a moderately wide mouth, do you actually try to avoid getting the poop on and around the rim, or is it inevitable?)

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
i use a tub to store my hair. when it comes time i gotta receive chemo or something, at least i'll get my own hair back. or i can donate it to a needy bald kid.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just came up with a new one. I took a couple of tubs and put similar type products in each tub IE PcT supps in one, bulk powders in another...you get the idea. It keeps my wife and others from thinking I'm crazy when they see my stash!

JJC

Awards
  • Established
So are you mixing your powders up in these tubs?

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, I just drop the whole container in there.

JJC

Awards
  • Established
OH OH OH I seeeeee......

So you basically take your bigger protein tubs or what have you, and put your smaller "jars" in each bigger tub based on what its used for.

Not bad if you don't have a drawer/cabinet/shelf to spare.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, my house was built in 1960 & cabinet space is at a premium...I guess that was before the time of tupperware!...plus instead of looking like I have thirty random bottles in my cabinet it now looks like I have three flavors of protein.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I keep polished brass (for reloading) in the 5 pound protien containers, and cast bullets in the smaller containers.

JJC

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, my house was built in 1960 & cabinet space is at a premium...I guess that was before the time of tupperware!...plus instead of looking like I have thirty random bottles in my cabinet it now looks like I have three flavors of protein.

Well done...since my supplementation has reached new levels, I might have to use this idea once I end up getting my own place. Then when my friends come over, they won't think I'm an idiot/on steroids(not that I am, but they wouldn't know the difference)! They will just see my protein tubs, and think I'm only slightly wasting my money. :rofl:

JJC

Awards
  • Established
I keep polished brass (for reloading) in the 5 pound protien containers, and cast bullets in the smaller containers.
Alright...well, I don't know what to say about that. haha. Just don't get your supps and your bullets mixed up. You might have some explaining to do if you show up to the gym with the wrong container.

I do enjoy your avatar though. That's my aim icon, except not with the quote. That little guy is awesome. I was thinkin of using it for my avatar here, but you beat me to the punch.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Well the weight would kinda be a tipoff I had the wrong container ;) Could give a whole new meaning to "Bite the bullet" though!

I like the avvy too. Found him while I was searching for one and had to have it!

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
3 words: Assorted Barbie Heads.

Fits nicely next to my Costco-sized lotion dispenser.

JJC

Awards
  • Established
:toofunny: I am literally laughing out as I read and re-read that.