NY bans most trans fats from restaurants

• Thread starter wrkn4bigrmusles
  • Start date
CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
For good or ill, likely ill overall considering past interventions, the government is now telling us what we can and cannot eat. How much you want to bet people will simply find a new way to kill themselves over time? If I weren't being forced to pay for The Blob's health care, thi wouldn't be a problem because he would shoulder the cost on his own flabby shoulders...

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I dont think its that bad. Transfats have no use, and are public health risk. I see it as them taking a dangerous synthetic drug off the market. They're not telling you what you can and can not eat - your still perfectly free to consume all the transfats you want in the comfort of your own home.

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
i was jus curious if they could actually regulate that and how???

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
they'll regulate it by having inspectors go in take samples of the food and test it

i think its ridiculous .. if they're that worried make them post a warning ... i don't need the government acting like my mom ... just make sure i get my mail and that the dollar works in all 50 states

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I dont think its that bad. Transfats have no use, and are public health risk. I see it as them taking a dangerous synthetic drug off the market. They're not telling you what you can and can not eat - your still perfectly free to consume all the transfats you want in the comfort of your own home.
Not my concern really. The government passed this law specifically to make us healthier. And while I know the slippery slope argument doesn't wash with some people it does follow: how long until they decide what other foods or ingredients we shouldn't be eating? How long before they decide what levels of vitamins in our multis are excessive, or if we really need all those herbs we like to munch down? I believe the European codex already dictates this in other countries.

Your health is supposed to be your business and more importantly your responsibility, not the government's. And if people want to stuff transfats down their throats I think they're stupid, but I also think that's their decision, not mine. Nor do I think that I or anyone else should be forced to pay for their inevitable health problems. You're not changing people's habits here by making them shoulder the burdens of their decisions. All you're doing is changing the means by which they will choose to abuse themselves. So long as the burden of poor eating/health decisions are forced onto the rest of the population the gelatinous amongst us will not change their basic behavior patterns. They'll just find different and more interesting ways of killing themselves, and we'll still be footing the bill despite the increase in the laws such as this one which will eventually prohibit substances or food products we like to use but which the government thinks are unhealthy.

That's what happens when you surrender your rights and responsibilities to the government. Right now the donut hole eaters and fry munchers are pissed. But no one will be listening and will likely even be applauding the law. No one is going to be listening when our multis are sold exclusively by pharma companies for ten times the current price either, but I'm sure none of us will be applauding that though. You have to protect and stand up for everyone's right to choose even if you don't agree with their choice. Otherwise you will surely lose that right.

size

Awards
  • Established
This should not be the responsibility of a government. Terrible.

I dont think its that bad. Transfats have no use, and are public health risk...They're not telling you what you can and can not eat - your still perfectly free to consume all the transfats you want in the comfort of your own home.
The business owner and the consumer should decide about trans fats, not the governement. If consumers did not want trans fats, then they do not have to consume them. The business owner should be able to serve trans fat as the market demands it. It is a private business based on providing a service in exchange for money. It is not a government run business. The business owner pays his taxes, but now has to follow the government's menu?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
The business owner pays his taxes, but now has to follow the government's menu?
Since the government has taken away from individuals and on to itself the responsibility for keeping people healthy and covering a massive portion of their health care costs it gets the 'right' to make those decisions. Which is why those rights and responsibilities should never be given away, even if you agree with the government on the specific issue the law is addressing. Just because something is a good idea doesn't mean the law should encourage it; just because something is a bad idea doesn't mean the law should punish it.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Hmm, there's cost of housing crisis (at least in my neck of the woods), rampant illegal immigration, criminals, Iraq, Afghanistan, but the focus is on freaking trans fats ! I feel healthier knowing my gov't doesn't want me to eat trans fats at restaurants :rolleyes: