Michael Irvin Makes Racial Remark about Tony Romo

monsterboy

Awards
I've been reading a lot about the Michael Richards racial tirade, and I'm wondering if A)We've become overly sensitive in today's world, or B) There's a double standard regarding racism in the United States.

I read on one of the major online newspapers yesterday(either USAtoday.com or Cnn.com ---can't remember which) about a comment Michael Irvin of ESPN made on the Dan Patrick ESPN radio show. Michael Irvin's comment was regarding Tony Romo of the Dallas Cowboy's athletic ability. Irvin's quote was "With his athletic ability, he must have some african american heritage in him somewhere". Irvin later played the whole thing off as a joke between him and Romo.....which i'm sure it probably was. My question is simple, why hasn't this been blown up in the media? Why is this not a scandle like the Michael Richards thing? In today's age, Michael Irvin is a hell of a lot more visible on a national scale than michael richards. Obviously Michael Irvin didn't come out and call Tony Romo a racist name, but still, he insinuated fairly overtly with his comment that Black athletes are athletically superior to white athletes.

Michael Irvin's comments didn't really bother me, because I consider the guy to be a moron (which he's proven on numerous occasions) and not really worth paying attention to. I think i'm more bothered by the fact that the national media can go crazy over michael richard's rant ( a man who has zero relevance today) and completely ignore a sports commentator who is seen by 50 million people everyday.

I'd like to close by saying I'd like to see the door swing both ways though. I don't condone racism in any manner, whether it be white on black or black on white, but public scrutiny needs to be the same each way. Either ignore both of them as morons, or throw a fit and make them apologize on a national stage.

Anyone else have a take?

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
I think that they are now at the point of being ridiculous. I also believe that now it has turned into a big publicity stunt. Make a comment...get publicity...seek forgiveness (preferably with some famous group or person beside you)..get more publicity.

The old saying about I don't care what they say as long as they spell my name right comes to mind.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
So that was demoralizing? Did he say he needed to be hung from a tree? Look if you want to be technical look for yourself Blacks did not start this and their are studies that I do not dare say prove it, but make you wonder?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1891620398/jonentineonline/104-9200907-3943920]Amazon.com: Taboo : Why Black Athletes Dominate Sports and Why We're Afraid to Talk About It: Books: Jon Entine,Earl Smith[/ame]

Daily Herald (Chicago) Commentary on "Taboo" by Jon Entine. Jon specializes in sports and race, business ethics, socially responsible investing, and green brand marketing
Jon Entine Online: Jon writes on ethics, business, genetics, science and politics, the media, Jewish issues, and sports.

I mean is Jason Williams mad cuz his name is White Chocalate? come on stop it dont try to compare the two apples and oranges.

Look do not be PC but be relevant in your accusations about racism. Kramer went way left, but he is voicing his opinion and we are forced to evaluate it and ADMIT RACISM STILL EXISTS IN AMERICA!!! yes I said it, and its the truth. As for his career should be over and all that, he is just expressing what people think and are to scared to be labeled. Lets be real we all have prejudices, but when you intentionally act on opressing another than its racism and thats just wrong. Prejudices can be corrected, or not but Racism as a whole cannot.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think people forget that there is a difference betwen racism and a racial slur. Racial slurs are very prevalent in comdey routines, especially minority comedy routines. There are more racial slurs about white folk than there are about any other ethnicity, but there is not a major uprising over that. I personally could care less if someone says something derogatory about another persons ethnic background. In the big picture, having a white comedian drop several N-bombs is not that important. However, lack of advancement socially and economically because of ethnicity is a completely different story.

Also, I think it is a bit hypocritical for Jesse Jackson to jump Michael Richards ass on this topic. I guess he forgot the reason why his presidency campaign fizzled out...

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
It goes both ways.

It's just the way things are done that it wasn't blown up though.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
I think you could definitely argue that there's a double standard in what is considered acceptable, I don't think Michael Richards' tirade and Irvin's comments about Romo are really comparable.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
IMO his comment about Romo weren't racist. Irvin was trying to be funny, it's just the way he is if you've seen him on ESPN's NFL shows. He never took a personal shot at Romo or say anything hateful about white people. It would be ashame if Irvin lost his job over such a stupid thing, if they want to fire him they should come up with evidence about a poor job performance.

This is not to say there is no racism, there definintely is BUT we should not go race-crazy and give everyone sensitivity training because they say something funny that isn't offensive. My only concern is the double standard, which exists IMO. Lets say Troy Aikman says something similar about a black player on the Dallas Cowboys, would there be some crazy special on ESPN outside the lines ? Would Aikman lose his job ? Would Aikman's accomplishment's be tarnished ? I used Troy Aikman as an example because he's a famous member of those Cowboys teams in a role similar to Irvin's.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you Ironwarrior, what Irvin said wasn't really meant to offend anyone...if you want to see the double standard taking place, look at this: http://carolinajournal.com/print/print_issue.html?id=2869
That is a perfect example and someone did post a link to the video about a year ago. I would have never heard of that moron if it wasn't for AM. I still can't believe some publication gave him the Citizen's Award, what a shame.

size

Awards
  • Established
I've been reading a lot about the Michael Richards racial tirade, and I'm wondering if A)We've become overly sensitive in today's world, or B) There's a double standard regarding racism in the United States.
A) Yes
B) Yes

I find Irvin's comments to be odd and unfortunate as it tries to explain why one individual is a good athlete based on nothing more than ethnicity. However, I wonder how he would respond if things were turned a different way.
Rather than discussing sports, how would one feel if intelligence of black scholars were questioned? Using a disparaging remark about a black individual who is intelligent by claiming that he must have an asian or european direct ancestor and hence the intelligence, would be unaccpetable. For instance would one try to make such a claim about Sylvester James Gates(a brilliant black physicist and mathematician)? I would certainly hope not as it is nothing more than an attempt to discredit his work or justify it by giving credit somewhere else.

So consider why should one be acceptable but not the other?

In regards to great athletes, I think the greatest olypmic wrestler ever explained it best. Alexander Karelin in regards to why he is better than everyone else "I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs."

Last edited:

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
whether a stereotype is positive or negative, it's still pretty racist no matter how you look at it! think about it, is saturated fat worse than fish fat? no, because either way they're still fats and fats are bad. Same with racist stereotypes! So we gotta quit fats and stereotypes altogether in order to be a better, fitter society.

zaph123

Board Supporter
Awards
So that was demoralizing? Did he say he needed to be hung from a tree? Look if you want to be technical look for yourself Blacks did not start this and their are studies that I do not dare say prove it, but make you wonder?

Amazon.com: Taboo : Why Black Athletes Dominate Sports and Why We're Afraid to Talk About It: Books: Jon Entine,Earl Smith

Daily Herald (Chicago) Commentary on "Taboo" by Jon Entine. Jon specializes in sports and race, business ethics, socially responsible investing, and green brand marketing
Jon Entine Online: Jon writes on ethics, business, genetics, science and politics, the media, Jewish issues, and sports.

I mean is Jason Williams mad cuz his name is White Chocalate? come on stop it dont try to compare the two apples and oranges.

Look do not be PC but be relevant in your accusations about racism. Kramer went way left, but he is voicing his opinion and we are forced to evaluate it and ADMIT RACISM STILL EXISTS IN AMERICA!!! yes I said it, and its the truth. As for his career should be over and all that, he is just expressing what people think and are to scared to be labeled. Lets be real we all have prejudices, but when you intentionally act on opressing another than its racism and thats just wrong. Prejudices can be corrected, or not but Racism as a whole cannot.
Jason williams is the man.....who remembers the off the elbow pass??

B4n3 0n3

Irvin's remark is supposed to be a compliment to Romo. Kramers remarks were meant to be offensive and hurtfull. See the difference?

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Irvin's remark is supposed to be a compliment to Romo. Kramers remarks were meant to be offensive and hurtfull. See the difference?
Or maybe he is saying white people are poor athletes?

2 sides to every coin.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
Yep, how would people like it if Rush Limbaugh said "Man, that Alan Keyes sure is smart, he must have a little caucasian in him."

size

Awards
  • Established
No, it is often difficult to truly understand ones intent as it can easily be hidden with a smile or a frown.

Even if Irvin's comment had the intention of a compliment it does not make it correct. The reason being that such comments take merit away from the individual accomplishments by trying to place the reason for success elsewhere.

The real issue should be that people are willing to accept such comments as a compliment when it reality it is not a compliment. Rather it is an insult to individual achievement.

B4n3 0n3

No, it is often difficult to truly understand ones intent as it can easily be hidden with a smile or a frown.

Even if Irvin's comment had the intention of a compliment it does not make it correct. The reason being that such comments take merit away from the individual accomplishments by trying to place the reason for success elsewhere.

The real issue should be that people are willing to accept such comments as a compliment when it reality it is not a compliment. Rather it is an insult to individual achievement.
If the remark is taking away from anyone's accomplishments wouldn't it be taking away from black athleates accomplishments since it is implied that they have and easier time because of more athletic genes? I view it as a light hearted joking compliment since Romo is obviously not black at all.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If the remark is taking away from anyone's accomplishments wouldn't it be taking away from black athleates accomplishments since it is implied that they have and easier time because of more athletic genes?
YES exactly. ANYTHING said about black people is always against them. Down with whitey!

B4n3 0n3

I mean yea you guys have a point that you can draw racist conclusions from this comment but I say "just let it slide." And while we are at it I have already accepted Kramers apology so I say let that one slide as well.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yep, how would people like it if Rush Limbaugh said "Man, that Alan Keyes sure is smart, he must have a little caucasian in him."
lol this is so true, if that happened i cant even imagine the repurcussions.

i really dont know why black people as a whole are so sensitive to discrimination. they kind of bring the discrimination on themselves because the actual bigots know exactly how emationally to affect them. if a comedian stood up and went on a tirade calling white people crackers i doubt very many people will care as far as media and stuff. however the opposite was true about the kramer incident. i should take an african american studies class to try to learn what the hell is going on with all this mess cuz i dont hear other races always waiving the racism card.