Time to name names, what the best or worst gym youve worked out in?

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ive been in gyms in central jersey, boston, las vegas, and chicago.

The worst gym, by far, i have ever been in, is Boston College's Flynn Recreational Complex, aboslutely horrible. all of the equipment is at least 10 years old and free weight dumbells only go up to 100. so many people use the place that you can easily be waiting 10-15 minutes for a machine. i could go on forever about my experience at that ****hole, but i dont want to crash bobo's website.

The best gym i have been in is Healthquest of Flemington (New Jersey). When the gold's in the area shut down most of the members came to this place. it was set up by a pro baseball player (jack cust) and although a significant amount of its crowd consist of old people and high school kids (its an enormous health club), you wont find a place with better equipment or services.

at a close second comes the bailey's total fitness in downtown chicago. SERIOUS crowd.

baxter32

Awards
worked out for a little while in this shabby hardcore gym in jeresy called Clarks. Place was a dump, but I had my best workouts ever there. There were real bodybuilders there, not all the posers in the LA Fitnesses or Bally's.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
YMCA - kids all over, no supervision, less than courteous staff and members. People who join a Y seems to have a different mindset/cultural/socioeconomic...I'm not sure I can describe it. Kind of like the difference between walmart and kmart people (it seems different to me when I am in those 2 line of stores)

The kicker is they charge as much if not more than the nicer gyms.

My wife and i thought it would be a good place..close to home..less expensive (we didn't really look around we just made an assumption). Turned out it closed early (for our time schedules), open 1/2 days on sat & closed on Sun.

When the year was up we bailed and after not doing anything for a couple of years we looked at all the big chains in town, compared locations, costs, equipment, staff...all the things we should have done the first time.

Settled on 24 HR for a number of the reasons above. not totally satisfied but at least we are back into working out.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Lets see...

Powerhouse in Central Jersey was one of my favorites until it got sold to champion fitness. It used to be a pretty hardcore gym with a few BBers and PLers but not is mroe of a sissy atmosphere.

Gold's in Lawrenceville, NJ is a great gym. Huge, diverse crowd and not that expensive if you got in on thier grand opening sale. But it is possible to talk them down a bit on price.

Ursinus College, where I went, opened a new gym my freshman year and it was great. As long as you timed your workouts around the football team.

La Fitness in the Main Line of PA is decent. Few people who really liked to work out. Great atmosphere, but pushy sales people.

Gold's in King of Prussia, Pa sucked. its small, older eqipment, and a huge BB court and roller hockey rink take up much need space.

I'm currently at a place called Conshohocken Health and Fitness which is perfect for me. Not the biggest, but it's brand new, not that many people go there which means I can jump from one exercise to the next (I hope it stays that way).

But the two best were Powerhouse (older version) in Hamlton and the new Golds in Lawrenceville...

But the worst was the older golds in KOP, by far.

Campeon

Awards
-- the old Bally's health clubs back in the 1990's.

-- Any military gym on a base. These have really old equipment and have missing dumbells.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
-- Any military gym on a base. These have really old equipment and have missing dumbells.
You'd be surprised. There's a lot of posts that have very good equipment.

The YMCA near me has to be the crappiest to include apt gyms.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Everybody's Business in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada. Set up by two competitors, very small one level with only weights and a serious crowd. Really, really good.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Best has to be PlanetFitness...anmd the best thing of all - PIZZA NIGHTS!!!

Best gym was a little hole in Burlington when I worked at BN. I had the key and the place to myself.

tattoopierced1

YMCA is the worst... especially the locker room gyms. If you choose to use the big gym, you have to wait forever, if you use the locker room gym there is little equipment, and the scenery is a bunch of old naked men...gross.

Best gym is the one I currently workout in, called the Pit Barbell Club. It is old as dirt, but I love it. Has that 1970's feel to it. It is a pretty hardcore gym too, bunch of powerlifters and bodybuilders.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think the YMCA is a decent gym..and they don't laugh at my Indian Costume.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
A couple of the best; WOW- Fall River MA, Frogs-San Diego CA
A couple of the worst: WOW-Manahawkin NJ, Capital Fitness-Wilmington NC

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Probably the *worst* gym was this gym from my hometown - Brookside Health Club - but they had a tiny freeweight section and people left dumbells all over the place. There was also no squatrack, and hey sold beer at the counter along with protien shakes, etc. There were some big dudes there and everything, but man I hated working out there.

Best gym - PowerHouse in Utica, NY. Somethings I hated about it - owner refuses to buy dumbells over 100lbs being the big one. But they had everything else I needed, boxing room w/speed bag (I miss that a lot), even that special L-shape bar that helps you lift the bar off the ground to put plates on for deadlifts. Equal space devoted to freeweights and machines, really functional floor layout, etc.

BV

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
even that special L-shape bar that helps you lift the bar off the ground to put plates on for deadlifts.

Oh yea, I forgot about that. They had that at my old powerhouse in Jersey...god that place was good.

But they sold beer at a gym, seems kinda like an oxymoron.

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
Salem, MA - Ironworks Gym (closed in the early/mid 90's)

Now closed, but the place was perfect: cheap, dirty, open drug use, etc. The AC never worked in the summer and the heat never worked in the winter. You could spit on the floor and on any day you would see people shooting up right in the locker room.

When asking how much a membership was, they would turn the question around and ask how much you wanted to pay. That probably explains why they went under...and that they gave keys out for us very early morning lifters. LOL

Gumbo