Gears of War. Best Game of the Year.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was the first person in my city to preorder an XBOX 360 and was one of the first to pick it up, so needless to say I was hyped up for the machine. Though there have been some good titles COD2, GRAW, for the most part I have been disappointed as besides GRAW none have really delivered the second generation console experience I was hoping for. Fast forward to Gears of War and it has more than delivered on what I wanted from all the other games. The rendering is CGI quality, the gameplay is absolutely amazing, the online rules, overall this is by far the best game for the 360 and probably the best game for any console of the year...

Any other thoughts??lol

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I still have a regular Xbox but thanks for making relive that.

xxtruxx1

xxtruxx1

Awards
  • Established
On Thursday morning I will be camping out infront of Best Buy in hopes that I get a PS3 on Friday morning. This is a real gaming console!

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
games games games. what i wouldn't give to go back to the time where pop was a nickel, gas was a nickel, chips was a nickel, and the fine ho's were about $1 a night.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
On Thursday morning I will be camping out infront of Best Buy in hopes that I get a PS3 on Friday morning. This is a real gaming console!
Weird, I thought 360 was a console? Have I been hallucinating?

The initial screenshots don't look any better than the 360's.

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
My roomate bought it tonight. Absolutely amazing. How about in the first level, where that massive monster absolutely destroys your guy (kim)....Scary!

xxtruxx1

xxtruxx1

Awards
  • Established
Weird, I thought 360 was a console? Have I been hallucinating?

The initial screenshots don't look any better than the 360's.
No, no 360 is a console, but Playstation is the superior console by far. Just compare ps2 games to xbox games.

Sony gets better games than microsoft, plus as far as I know, xobx 360 isn't blu ray compatible :).

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
No, no 360 is a console, but Playstation is the superior console by far. Just compare ps2 games to xbox games.

Sony gets better games than microsoft, plus as far as I know, xobx 360 isn't blu ray compatible :).
Actually...it's been said that while there is slightly more power in the PS3 it is much more difficult (than the XB360) to program something that uses all/most of the power. While there are some titles like GT:H that you won't see elsewhere a lot of companies have branched out to the XB360 and so the PS3 has less of that exclusivity. About the Blu-Ray thing, right now it's a lot more expensive than it's rival (HD DVD) and so there's this whole battle to see which will come out on top. From what little I've read HD DVD has a better chance.

I will say right now though that I'll be buying a PS3 at some point, I'm a big fan of the Gran Turismo series and so I have little other choice...

About Gears of War: my bro wants it really badly and from what I've seen of it I want it aswell heh. I'm not sure when it's released over here though. One question Mullet, is there anything about the game that has annoyed you or that you thought could do with improvement?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

lol..Neither are the developers of most console based video games. The PS3 has an advantages in potential developing space which means the games could be better in terms of size, depth, and gameplay. Keyword there being could, because as Ziri stated developers are going to, and are, running into some serious problems formatting games to Blu Ray. So while PS3 does have a slight (and even that is pretty slight) power advantage over the 360, I don't think it will come into play. In terms of the rendering of the games. For that you have to look at Graphics Cards and GPU efficiency, which in all cases 360 has the PS3 wholey dominated.

360's ATI card has the capacity to run at 99% efficiency and is the most powerful graphics card out right now, while the PS3's will run at a very meager 35-40%. So, while the PS3 will have a larger hard drive and memory increases, that means nothing without being able to develop the games.

But, I haven't played PS3, and neither have you. So for either of us to call one 'superior' is kind of fruitless no? Especially when one of us doesn't know the facts ;)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ziri, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that game. I was impressed on all parts of it. The AI is super intelligent, gameplay is wicked, guns are cool, rendering is amazing, all around best game of the year. The one thing I will say is that the 'hardcore' skill level is pretty intense. I am a gamer, and can usually cap a game pretty quick, but GOW was a test for me. The 'casual' skill level is more point and shoot type thing.

rippedforce63

Awards
  • Established
All I know is that when it comes out HALO 3>everything else. Thats the only reason I'll be buying a 360 console.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I am awaiting that as well. I will be interested to see if they can top GOW though. It is one of the more intuitive and innovative games I have played.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Ya i wanna play this game pretty bad, i LOVE Killzone for PS2 and it looks very similar, Killzone 2 looks awesome as well. I have to agree about Playstation having better games though they just come up with some cool games but when X-box comes out with a good one it is insanely good.

xxtruxx1

xxtruxx1

Awards
  • Established
But, I haven't played PS3, and neither have you. So for either of us to call one 'superior' is kind of fruitless no? Especially when one of us doesn't know the facts ;)
lol, Touche mullet. You know me all too well at this point. I am going solely based on the fact that I've been a Sony-er since PS1. Ever since then, I've been completely infatuated with the system. That & the PS1/2 controllers feel more comfortable in my hands than the X-box controllers. I was watching a show where the choice between Playstation & X-box ultimately comes down to controller preference because they are so similar in performance when weighing out the pro's & con's.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, they are pretty much. It actually boils down to the developers enlisted much moreso than the console itself. It is upto them to use the machine to its fullest potential.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
If you guys wanta talka bout some games check out some youtube previews of Guns of the Patriot.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

That game has some great commercials and it sounds like a blast, but I play a lot of half life 2's counter strike and it's hard for any game to really challenge me and give me the real world feel.

Not saying anything about GOW the commercial gives me goose bumps but the new metal gear, watch some vids and you'll see what i'm saying.

Wondering if you can put a external hard drive on the ps3 so u don't have to drop 800 bucks.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
To bad all FPS games suck on consoles. Even the most excellent FPS titles on the xbox can't hold a candle to average shooters on a PC.

Using a controller really kills the experience of a FPS. Good thing that many of xbox 360 titles also show up on the PC :D

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
And using a keyboard feels more like a gun??:blink:

I actually have to take the opposite approach, I have never gotten into CS or any PC based FPS and don't plan to, I prefer console FPS much more.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol..I am going to sound like I disagree with everything, but I also never got into MG's, I was/am more of a Splinter Cell kind of guy...

Kam, that is what I really, really, really liked about GOW. The engine, and rendering really immerses you in the environment and blends the best elements of a FPS with strategy, and suspense based games. You can't just walk through and pick and shoot, it is all about where and how you hide, as the AI reacts different to every situation. This isn't like a point-and-shoot Halo type game.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

I actually have to take the opposite approach, I have never gotten into CS or any PC based FPS and don't plan to, I prefer console FPS much more.
AMEN! i cant stand computer games that are real time or competitive. The only computer games worth a crap or ones you can take you time with cuz using a keyboard to play a game is just retarded imo.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol..I am going to sound like I disagree with everything, but I also never got into MG's, I was/am more of a Splinter Cell kind of guy....
Splinter Cell was hard as %&$#@! I liked MG storylines too...Real good movie scenes too.

B4n3 0n3

I think GOW will be the killer app that the 360 so desperatley needed. It might not be your style but I thought that Elder scrolls 4 oblivion was pretty good, definatley worth checking into.

If I do go for a console I think I will go for PS3, I went with XBOX last round but this time I may give sony a shot. I realy think and hope that blu ray will win the format war so PS3 having the blu ray is a good thing.

My little bro camped out at toys r us for a pre order of a ps3 and a wii but he is gonna Ebay those son b's.

I bulit my own gaming PC so that is my primary game machine. I am into fps games so I need that mouse and keyboard control scheme(controllers suck ass for fps).

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is this available for Atari 2600?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
4800!!!???? Tell me when this new console is being released.

:::grabbing sleeping bag and pickle jar:::

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
Picked up GOW last week. I love it, about to finish the game on extreme now.

The split screen co-op is awesome, except when you split paths and the other guy dies, haha.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Your right, the keyboard sucks, but the mouse is just so great. I can not get over how poor the aiming controls are in FPS shooters.

What actually would be sweet is a setup sorta like the Wii, using both hands. I really wonder how using that controler will feel in games like Madden and Call of Duty 3.

xxtruxx1

xxtruxx1

Awards
  • Established
Mullet, you're gunna kill me :).

I just got back from Best Buy. Picked up an Xbox 360 along with some goodies, Gears of War, & Fear.

Plugging it all in as we speak.

First the dark side, now this. You are persuasive lol. (I did some research, decided on the Xbox.)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mullet, you're gunna kill me :).

I just got back from Best Buy. Picked up an Xbox 360 along with some goodies, Gears of War, & Fear.

Plugging it all in as we speak.

First the dark side, now this. You are persuasive lol. (I did some research, decided on the Xbox.)
lol..You should read some papers I have written, I'd have you picketing for causes you've never heard of..

If you have live add me mang, El Positions is my handle

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
For 259 CAd im going to goive the nintendo Wii a good look as opposed to its $500 to $600 counterparts. what do you get when you add starcraft + comand and conquer + halo?= halo wars!!!

xxtruxx1

xxtruxx1

Awards
  • Established
I'm officially going to fail out of school. LOL!

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
GOW Disappointed me. Wish it was longer (like Halo 2)...Wish there were a better variety of weapons...(an rpg would be more fun than "boomers") and there is almost NO variety in enemies. Loved the story, but it also left me feeling a lil ripped.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
and how do you guys play fps single player? I feel so out of touch with gaming culture.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Any other thoughts??lol
Yeah I can't wait till it comes out for PC in 07:)

AMEN! i cant stand computer games that are real time or competitive. The only computer games worth a crap or ones you can take you time with cuz using a keyboard to play a game is just retarded imo.
There are so many cool input devices for PC-gaming though - there's really no need to just use the keyboard if you dont want to...You cant get the 360's controller, and all kinds of other customizable stuff.

4800!!!???? Tell me when this new console is being released.
Figured you'd at least have the Intellivision with the Speech box by now man, geez! Get with the times! :)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Figured you'd at least have the Intellivision with the Speech box by now man, geez! Get with the times! :)
Speech Box!!????

This technology is WONDERFUL. I am like a teenager in the 8-track store.

Anyone heard the new Cheap Trick Album?:blink:

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Gears of War looks absolutely phenomenal.

I'm PC guy, but that game makes me wish I had an XBOX 360. The game will probably be out for PCs in 2k7, but the bummer is I can only imagine how gnarly of a machine I'll need to run it...and, there is no moolah in my pocket for an upgrade ATM. :(

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I'm PC guy, but that game makes me wish I had an XBOX 360. The game will probably be out for PCs in 2k7, but the bummer is I can only imagine how gnarly of a machine I'll need to run it...and, there is no moolah in my pocket for an upgrade ATM.
The video card you'd need to play it maxed out will probably be at least $200 - $250. Probably get a used 360 for a little more by then...

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Not to mention, in my case, I'd need to upgrade to a PCI-Express capable motherboard, which means I need a new processor, too. So, I'd have to get a new mobo, new processor, and a new video card. It'd cost me a good $600 to get build something decent...and, I'd probably invest in another gig of ram. 1GB just isn't any good anymore for gaming. 2GB is the minimum for a GOOD gaming experience. So, in reality, I"d probably spend something like $700-800 to make a good upgrade. Oh, and I didn't even include buying another couple SATA drives so I could RAID5 my system...hmm...now I'm up near a grand. Oh god...no more PC gaming for me :(

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Not to mention, in my case, I'd need to upgrade to a PCI-Express capable motherboard, which means I need a new processor, too. So, I'd have to get a new mobo, new processor, and a new video card. It'd cost me a good $600 to get build something decent...and, I'd probably invest in another gig of ram. 1GB just isn't any good anymore for gaming. 2GB is the minimum for a GOOD gaming experience. So, in reality, I"d probably spend something like $700-800 to make a good upgrade. Oh, and I didn't even include buying another couple SATA drives so I could RAID5 my system...hmm...now I'm up near a grand. Oh god...no more PC gaming for me
Tell me about it I just built a new machine this past month...it cost a lot, but Oblivion at 1680 x 1050 with all its settings maxed is worth it :)

If I just wanted to play games though, Id get a PS3 and a nice High Def TV.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Haha..PS3..they're selling for thousands right now. That and a high def TV? The computer upgrade option is suddently sounding much more affordable :D

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Haha..PS3..they're selling for thousands right now. That and a high def TV? The computer upgrade option is suddently sounding much more affordable
LOL I meant Id get a PS3 and a high def TV....next year:)

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I still run a gig of memory and run Fear, Splinter Cell and Half Life 2 perfectly.

B4n3 0n3

What video card do you have Jay?
I wanna know what vid card your run oblivion at 1600 with? I run Oblivion at 1000 x 700ish with the 7800gt. I really want the new 8800 that just dropped but I will probly wait a while longer.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I wanna know what vid card your run oblivion at 1600 with? I run Oblivion at 1000 x 700ish with the 7800gt. I really want the new 8800 that just dropped but I will probly wait a while longer.
ASUS/ATI X1900XT 512Mb

CPU is an Intel E6600

It runs pretty much flawless at stock speeds with HDR and 4x AA enabled at that res too - the X1900 is a beast!! The stock cooler was atrocious though so I got the Thermalright HR-03 for it - now its cool and quiet.

The new 8800 is a sick, sick card but way too expensive at the moment...Id like to see what AMD/ATI counter with, and for more DX10 games to come around before I upgrade. (~ a year or so I'd reckon)

BV

B4n3 0n3

ya by the time dx 10 has worthwhile software support there will most likely be cards on the market that beat the 8800.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I'll admit 1 gig is okay, and RAM usually isn't the bottleneck of most systems, but I've been on systems with 2+ GB and they perform much better that comparable systems with 1GB.

I can still run HL2 at max settings, but not FEAR, unfortunately. I wanted to run it, but...can't :'( *sigh*

Then i was dumb enough to install a beta of Windows Vista on my comp and run it solo, so now I won't even bother to install games (well, i accidentally killed my install of OS X, but it doesn't run games anyway, and I couldn't get XGL to run stable on my ubuntu linux install, so i got rid of that too, useless without XGL lol.)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
but it doesn't run games anyway, and I couldn't get XGL to run stable on my ubuntu linux install, so i got rid of that too, useless without XGL lol.)
Did you find out what the problem was Kwyck? Ive read that XGL/Beryl dont play nice with ATI video cards without a bunch of extra work...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Matthersby Cycle Logs 21
JudoJosh General Chat 1
ambulldog General Chat 16
TheDempster PES 3
thaOrleanyte General Chat 22