Working as a personal trainer

quigley

Awards
  • Established
Hey i need some opinions. I am heading to america in a few years to take up acting. obviously i need a secondary job to put food on the table while im trying to break into the business.

I want to work from home, so i have flexible enough hours to attend auditions whenever needed, and i was thinking personal training might be a great idea.

What do you think? can i make some good money on the side doing personal training? How would i go about setting up my home business? How much could i expect to make?

Opinions/advice welcome

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
I would assume you're moving to LA if your trying to break into acting. There is no shortage of trainers in LA, breaking into training might be harder than the acting.

It can take a very long time to build up a client base where you're making enough money to live off of training alone.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
What Crunch said is true. If you want to get into acting LA is where it's at. Training is time consuming work, I would be a waiter or something.

quigley

Awards
  • Established
well i have the marks to study law or medicine, but acting is what i want to do. ideally i want a job thats flexible and can make me money while i act, but which isnt dead end crap and has a future, possibilites. so i thought something like personal training would be good.

if your right, and at first i would have to struggle to build my client base etc, i could perhaps supplement the money i was making as a personal trainer with private music lessons (music lessons pay well) but again that would probably take a while to build up a client base. If iworked myself overtime i could work as a waiter while building my training and teaching client bases.

so friggin hard to figure out... another home business like jobs anyone can think of which would be a good bread winner while im trying to get into the acting world?

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
It's not exactly glamorous, but a home based cleaning business is very easy to start, cheap to get started, and pays pretty well. Would still give you flexibility to.

Every self-employeed cleaning person I've ever met (several when I was training) said they had completely booked up schedules and were turning down more business all the time. I believe there's a handful of books available on how to get started also.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Where are you moving from?
The hardest part of moving to America is getting a visa, once you have one of those then you can decide on what job you want to get. Unless you have a green card or are a citizen.