When it rains it pours...

1. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

When it rains it pours...

Ok, so many of you are aware of my unemployment status. I have some promising prospects but no offers yet. I remain optimistic though.

However, it is now getting to the point where my money is running pretty low. I calculate I have a maximum of 1 month left of funds before I can't pay the mortgage. So fo course this has me nervous. It also makes me cringe whenever unforseen bills pop up .... Like what happened this week.

A few days ago, my wife and I were in the kitchen and we heard a noice that sounded like rain splattered on pavement. It sounded close and unimpeded so we knew it wasn't teh rainstorm outside. I traced the sound and figured out it was coming from my basement.

So we went down into the basement to find it flooding (with water already covering at least a full quarter of the floor of its 1500 square foot expanse). The sound we heard was coming from the back of our boiler which was continuing to spew water out the back. WONDERFUL.

So I called the plumber, and he got tehre after about an hour and a half. Turns out a pressure regulation valve failed and double the pressure the system could handle was going in (the system was made for 10-14 pounds and 30 pounds were going in). He shut off the valve, drained the system to 12 pounds of pressure, and told us this was just a temporary fix and we'd have to get teh valve changed soon. Then he charged us 100 bucks and left with the basement still flooded.

The next day I had an important job interview. After the interview I went to home depot and bought a wet vac to clean up the flooding. Yay, another 100 bucks out the window.

So we got home from Home Depot and while my wife was pulling out of the driveway to go on a nighttime pet sit (she takes care of other people's pets) I grabbed the wet vac and started to bring it down to the basement. At the bottom of the basement, my geniusness had placed a rolled up piece of carpet. Of course at the bottom, my right foot stepped on it, and my left foot stepped on the EDGE of it. My foot bent inward and I heard a loud *CRACK*, which was followed by me falling and screaming in pain.

I then had to make my way up the stair on one foot after recovering from the initial shock, ate 3 Advil, and tried to call my wife. No dice, eitehr her phone was off or she wasn't getting a signal. Eventually she got home an hour later at which point we went to the emergency room.

Thankfully my ankle is no broken. It is however sprained, either 2nd or third degree. They couldn't tell because it was so swollen.

As a note, I don't have health insurance now. My severence coverage ended on the 1st when I got the Cobra bill it was for $2000/month so I decided to not opt for that (how in God's name could anyone rack up $2000/month in medical costs to actually justify that kind of insurance rate?!)

So now I'm going to be receiving a hefty ER bill. Joy. This pretty much makes it so I can't afford the next mortgage payment.

On top of that, I was up late that night as a result and had an interview Friday morning. Suffice to say I was not well rested. I also couldn't drive to it (I drive stick, my wife drives an automatic and doesn't know how to drive stick). Thankfully y wife drove me, but I wound up having to spend the entire day after that in a car because I had ot go with her on her pet sits.

To top things off, I had to buy birthday presents for my mother, my sister-in-law, and my wife (3 birthdays inside a single week).

Yay More expenses!

I'm just hoping one of the interviews I went on comes back with an offer ASAP, and at this point I'm hoping it is one of the contracting positions. permanent positions usually take a few weeks after being hired before you can actually start and then you have to wait like a full month before getting paid. Contracting gigs start work immediately and get paid weekly or at worst bi-weekly. Plus, the contracting gig that I feel I'm most likely to land pays really well.

Anyway, sorry I went on that rant there. I just needed to vent a little. I'm sure things are going to turn out cool. Not liking the whole being a gimp thing though. I can't walk yet so I use crutches everywhere or I hop. Hopefully in a few days I can start limping.

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.83%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Damn man, you and I must be related. If we ever met in person i'm sure a badluck financial vortex would form and suck in anything within a 50 mile radius

Stick in there man, I hope things turn out.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

DAMN Null, this is brutal I hope you make it through without any major problems. On the bright side, it sounds like you have a good wife who is there for you and cares about you, that's pretty hard to find my friend.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.63%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    So I called the plumber, and he got tehre after about an hour and a half. Turns out a pressure regulation valve failed and double the pressure the system could handle was going in (the system was made for 10-14 pounds and 30 pounds were going in). He shut off the valve, drained the system to 12 pounds of pressure, and told us this was just a temporary fix and we'd have to get teh valve changed soon. Then he charged us 100 bucks and left with the basement still flooded.

Ok man - you posted this, so I need to understand some more. (I just took a process design class - and this sounds like very poor chemical engineering design. See - I'm really a plumber in real life...)

A pressure regulator on your main line from the water grid (or whatever it's called) failed - right?
    I'm assuming closed.
    But - you said he shut the valve? So - he handblocked it downstream of the regulator? (I know you aren't a plumber/engineer - so if you don't know, that's fine.)

This sounds like poor design downstream of a the regulator. If you have a valve that can fail closed (or be blocked - operator error as we call it) and can dead-head a pump or pressure the system up - you NEED to have the piping and equipment downstream rated to that dead-head pressure (i.e. 30 psig in this case).

I'm blaming the plumber that designed the system.
    (Maybe I should go into plumbing? Then I wouldn't have to put up with all this BS and meetings. )
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.83%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

JMH, laying pipe since 1986
  6. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.39%

Things will turn around. Keep your head up.
  7. I know nothing...
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.79%

Sorry to hear that, man. Sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better.
    I went through the same BS last winter. Brake up, accident, didn't work for about 7 weeks, my both vehicles broke down, got a ticket, etc. It was rough, but I'm still alive and kicking.
    I wish you the best, man. Good luck.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  219 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45%

Iron put it well brother, youve got a good lady and they are hard to find.

Throughout all this, just dont lose sight of the blue skies that are behind the clouds.
  9. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%

Quote Originally Posted by jmh80
    Ok man - you posted this, so I need to understand some more. (I just took a process design class - and this sounds like very poor chemical engineering design. See - I'm really a plumber in real life...)

A pressure regulator on your main line from the water grid (or whatever it's called) failed - right?
    I'm assuming closed.
    But - you said he shut the valve? So - he handblocked it downstream of the regulator? (I know you aren't a plumber/engineer - so if you don't know, that's fine.)

This sounds like poor design downstream of a the regulator. If you have a valve that can fail closed (or be blocked - operator error as we call it) and can dead-head a pump or pressure the system up - you NEED to have the piping and equipment downstream rated to that dead-head pressure (i.e. 30 psig in this case).

I'm blaming the plumber that designed the system.
    (Maybe I should go into plumbing? Then I wouldn't have to put up with all this BS and meetings. )

The way it works is like this:

In order for water to get into the system, it must go through this valve. When pressure is below 14, the valve is supposed to push water into he system and when the pressure hits 14 pounds it automatically shuts off. The valve broke so it didn't shut off and wound up pushing 30 pounds into the system. The reason it wasn't more was because various failsafe were able to let off pressure at a rate equivilent to what the valve was capable of pushing into the system. There is a lever next to the valve to manually shut the valve if it fails. That's what the plumber did, so now no water is going into the system. Heating systems are a closed loop so this should be fine for a while.
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.63%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

So - the pressure control valve failed open.
    Sounds like he handblocked the control valve. (I'm only familar with chemical plant equipment - although I imagined plumbing fittings/etc are very similar.)

I still think the downstream piping of the control valve should have been good for 30 psig.
    That piping failed right? Causing the leak.
  11. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%

Quote Originally Posted by jmh80
    So - the pressure control valve failed open.
    Sounds like he handblocked the control valve. (I'm only familar with chemical plant equipment - although I imagined plumbing fittings/etc are very similar.)

I still think the downstream piping of the control valve should have been good for 30 psig.
    That piping failed right? Causing the leak.
    Nope.

The pipes were fine. There was simply too much water in the system. There are multiple failsafes in the system. The first is an expansion tank that can fill with water. When the expansion tank is full, water can't go to it so water drips out of the end of a pipe in the back of the unit. The pipe is open and there specifically for this situation. Otherwise pressure would build to the point where the boiler could blow.
  12. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.46%

Well Bro I am glad things look like they may be turning around for you! Also feel free to vent thats what we are here for bro! Keep your head up, and keep the wife happy she is a keeper!!!
  13. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.73%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Best of luck to you. Good words here about having a good woman standing by your side. Keep your confidence and head held high no matter what.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.29%

Hey bro,

I know you'll get out of this well and then some. Thats the way you are. Its good that you are optimistic as well. Sucks to hear about the plumbing as well. Our house is 110 year old Queen Ann style house and everytime it rained the basement would flood....with sewage. Who had to clean up all the ****, piss and other peoples' tampons that flowed in? Me...come to find out, we weren't hooked up to the cities sewage system but draining into the river.
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  XXX lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.09%

Best of luck man, I can totally relate on the no job thing. I just hope the market for jobs is better in your area than mine.

ManBeast
    -Saving random peoples' nuts, one pair at at time... PCT info:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/192992-pct-what-why.html
    -Are you really ready for a cycle? Read this link and be honest:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/191120-checklist-before-thinking.html
    *I am not a medical expert, my opinions are not professional, and I strongly suggest doing research of your own.*
  16. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.49%

Hang in there and best of luck with everything, dude. I know it sucks and some people will never understand until they have walked in your shoes.

A person said this to me during one of my F'd up times..."the Lord will never give you more than what you can handle." I believe it's what you do, and how you handle yourself during these times that defines you as a man.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I wish there was more that I could do for you.
  17. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%

Yay, more bad news on the job front!

The contracting gig that was really promising had a slight change. Originally it was a 6 month gig with options for renewal and possibility of transition to perm. It was listed at $60/hr, and I would have been in charge of an entire development team. So not only would I be making a hefty hefty chunk of change, I'd gain experience in managing an entire development group and so from there I could have moved straight into middle management anywhere else. To top it off, what they wanted me to do for their team I had already been through before at my former job. They wanted someone to help them with some serious firefighting for a few months followed by an extensive overhaul for the next version. i.e. they wanted someone to design an SDLC for them, spearhead a design documentation effort, setup a testing strategy, and refactor the entire codebase. That sounds like a lot of work, but I've already experience that exact same situation before and I know what works and what doesn't. I also know it's a lot of overtime to manage something like that, and at $60/hr that's a mega crapload of money.

Sounds good right? That's what I said. On top of that, at the interview, the director thought I was awesome. He sounded like he wanted to hire me on the spot. He said he needed to get in touch with HR and then he'd get back to me. Well, I found out he didn't get the position approved with HR before interviewing for it. So HR changed the position from 6+ months try and buy at $60 an hour running the development group to 2 WEEKS at a crap rate and only doing code review. They pulled a friggin bait and switch.

Then there's the other bad news. I interviewed at a great software development company. The position was a standard senior software development position that paid nicely enough. The awesome part about the job was that the office has no dress code (folks were wearing tshirts, shorts, and flipflops the day I interviewed there), and they had no problem if I telecommuted most days (work from home). The interview went really well, and I survived the first round of eliminations. But I got a call Friday that they went with someone else.

Things just keep getting better?
  18. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.05%

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    Yay, more bad news on the job front!

The contracting gig that was really promising had a slight change. Originally it was a 6 month gig with options for renewal and possibility of transition to perm. It was listed at $60/hr, and I would have been in charge of an entire development team. So not only would I be making a hefty hefty chunk of change, I'd gain experience in managing an entire development group and so from there I could have moved straight into middle management anywhere else. To top it off, what they wanted me to do for their team I had already been through before at my former job. They wanted someone to help them with some serious firefighting for a few months followed by an extensive overhaul for the next version. i.e. they wanted someone to design an SDLC for them, spearhead a design documentation effort, setup a testing strategy, and refactor the entire codebase. That sounds like a lot of work, but I've already experience that exact same situation before and I know what works and what doesn't. I also know it's a lot of overtime to manage something like that, and at $60/hr that's a mega crapload of money.

Sounds good right? That's what I said. On top of that, at the interview, the director thought I was awesome. He sounded like he wanted to hire me on the spot. He said he needed to get in touch with HR and then he'd get back to me. Well, I found out he didn't get the position approved with HR before interviewing for it. So HR changed the position from 6+ months try and buy at $60 an hour running the development group to 2 WEEKS at a crap rate and only doing code review. They pulled a friggin bait and switch.

Then there's the other bad news. I interviewed at a great software development company. The position was a standard senior software development position that paid nicely enough. The awesome part about the job was that the office has no dress code (folks were wearing tshirts, shorts, and flipflops the day I interviewed there), and they had no problem if I telecommuted most days (work from home). The interview went really well, and I survived the first round of eliminations. But I got a call Friday that they went with someone else.

Things just keep getting better?
    I know some how all these wrongs doors make you feel pain. But eventually they lead to right one; not unlike dating. All you can do is keep your chin up, and keep swinging. For the defeats you are suffering, victory will taste even sweeter. In the meantime, keep the troops morale up (wife) and soon enough, she'll be in the end zone with you doing a celebratory dance. Stay the course Null.
    My The 1 LOG: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/254164-my-one-log.html
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.53%
    Achievements Posting Pro

What's up Null? I feel you're pain brotha'. I hope things are looking up for you and your family.
  20. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.99%

Null you ever do any foodservice work? Bartending or waiting tables (at the right establishment) is a great way to make ends meet when you're in a pinch...

BV
  21. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%

Quote Originally Posted by BigVrunga
    Null you ever do any foodservice work? Bartending or waiting tables (at the right establishment) is a great way to make ends meet when you're in a pinch...

BV
    Ugh. I was a busboy and a barback when I was in highschool. I wouldn't wish that job on anyone.
  22. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.99%

Ugh. I was a busboy and a barback when I was in highschool. I wouldn't wish that job on anyone.
    Not a barback, bartender. Big difference in income there
  23. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.45%

Exclamation

If you're close to Maryland, PM me, I'll fix your bad valve. I might even have the parts here to do the job. It's nice when the old man is a master plumber. Good luck on the job front bro.
    ROB
  24. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it.

Though I did get the valve fixed. For the time being let's hope there'll be no more flooding in my basement.
  25. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%

Ok, finally some good news.

Official start date is November 1st. Very cool company. The commute is less than 10 miles. Some of the extra benefits include:

1) A laptop (in addition to my workstation at work)
    2) They pay my cell phone bill
    3) They pay my internet bill

Also, while my start date is November 1st, I'll actually be starting work tomorrow. The reason? My wife and I had planned a honeymoon in December. In order to take the 7 days I'd need, I'll have to put in some extra time. So, I'm going to work from tomorrow up to my official start date unpaid. Works out for both of us since I wouldn't have gotten paid for those days anyway and all I'd have been doing during that time would be moping about doing nothing.

So, I'll be able to go on my honeymoon afterall. 11 days, 10 nights in the Western Caribbean. NICE.

The pay for this job is ok. Not great by any means. It's exactly the same as what I was getting at my previous job. Though the decrease in commute and the other benefits make for greater take home pay. The decrease in the commute and the flexible working hours will make thus job FAR FAR better.

Hope everything turns out ok. Looking forward to starting tomorrow morning!
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.53%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Awesome Nullifidian!!!! Sounds like you came out on top... thats good to hear!
  27. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.39%

Congratulations!
  28. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.49%

Good to hear, dude! Congrats!