Why do people look down on us?

IronMarc

Awards
I just turned 19, and obviously for my bday I had to get completly trashed, 19 is the legal age for drinking here in Canada. A girl I like goes to the bar every weekend, so I thought to myself "Great, now I can finally go with her", well I did, and had a good time, wasn't with the girl I wanted to though. So after that, the next day I felt like ****, one: I had a hangover, two: I felt guilty for doing that to my body, three: I felt like an idiot because of some things I did. So the next day, I publicly express my desire to stop drinking on my msn nickname, I was proud of it, proud of myself for making that decision. I wasn't being arrogant about it or anything, just basically said I wasn't ever going to have a repete of last night. So I get a message from the girl asking me why I felt that way, I stated the same reason as I posted in this article, basically saying it was counter-productive to my goals and it made me feel like ****. She took it as an attack on her lifestyle cause she drinks every other week, so do most of my friends, but it wasn't, she doesnt bodybuild, she doesnt care about her health, so obviously MY GOALS are not the same as hers and I wasn't talking about her, regardless she stopped talking to me. Another scenario was when I was cutting, friends would go out to eat after watching a movie and I would tag along for the company, however when I don't order a double big mac at 12 am there must be something wrong with me! I used to be 200+lbs, I wanted to lose weight, and one girl has the gall to ask me "What are you on some kind of diet", so I said "Yes, I don't eat this late at night, and I certainly wouldn't eat McDonalds", then I get laughed at. Enjoy your greasy fries and burger, but leave me out of it, I didn't say anything, I am not imposing my lifestyle onto you, just leave me alone! Like hell, I would understand if I was to say "Hey dont drink its not good for you" or " Don't eat that it's full of fat" , hell no, do what you want, but don't rag on me because I don't want to do it. I eat cottage cheese for lunch sometimes , comments I get most of the time are "How can you eat that ****", what ****? This is good, it tastes good, its good for you, how is it ****? Enjoy you're preserved lunch meats and oreos, I didn't say anything to you, let me be. Why do people take offense to someone who is trying to live healthy? They praise people for drinking way too much, "I drank 16 beer to myself" "Right on man, that's wicked", it's stupid. That's my experience anyway, please tell me it's not like this when you get older and people HOPEFULLY are more mature.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Hey Buddy.

It IS the same when you get older if you hang out with those sorts of people but there are ALOT less of them.

So you just keep doing your thing, working out, eating good etc and you will find others with the same interest.

Actually by the time most people are just a few years older than you they are physically in VERY poor shape.

Keep doing what you are doing. Not always easy as most of us older guys have found BUT when you are 30 you don't look fat, out of shape and 5 years older than you really are.

CROWLER

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think Crowler hit the nail on the head.

IMHO, these people are jealous because they know they lack the knowledge and motivation to take care of themselves, and they envy you for seeing that you will be the one who lives a better life down the road...

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Just as Crowler said, dude. It's the same when you're older. It all depends on the lifestyle interest of your friends and who you end up hanging out with. Most of the people I hang out with don't workout and don't eat right. They make comments about what I eat and how I look constantly. However, these comments are always while in the presence of a group and never one-on-one. When it's one-on-one, they ask for advice on what they can do to shed some weight and/or build some size. I'm 39 right now and I get told I look 5or more years younger by people all the time. Hell, I'm dating a 25 year old chick right now and was hit on by a 19 year old chick the other night. The lifestyle I have chosen is working for me.

As far as drinking, it's your choice not to drink, but you don't have to cut it out completely. I go out and have a few brews, or some wine with dinner. I don't drink to where I lose control though.

Biggest thing, not that you are doing this, is to not preach your lifestyle to others. Only provide advice if they ask.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Those same people will start asking you to design a diet/training regimen for them.. just watch... it'll take a few years.. but watch. ;)

Crowler, methusaleh, and Cuffs already said it.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Just as Crowler said, dude. It's the same when you're older. It all depends on the lifestyle interest of your friends and who you end up hanging out with. Most of the people I hang out with don't workout and don't eat right. They make comments about what I eat and how I look constantly. However, these comments are always while in the presence of a group and never one-on-one. When it's one-on-one, they ask for advice on what they can do to shed some weight and/or build some size. I'm 39 right now and I get told I look 5or more years younger by people all the time. Hell, I'm dating a 25 year old chick right now and was hit on by a 19 year old chick the other night. The lifestyle I have chosen is working for me.

As far as drinking, it's your choice not to drink, but you don't have to cut it out completely. I go out and have a few brews, or some wine with dinner. I don't drink to where I lose control though.

Biggest thing, not that you are doing this, is to not preach your lifestyle to others. Only provide advice if they ask.
Ahhhh, It's so refreshing to see the elders advising the youngins'.:goodpost:

This is good advice. Also, it might be productive to limmit the verbal purging a bit. We all need to rant once in a while though. :thumbsup:

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Don't worry about the hate man. When you go to the beach or pool with those guys and it's time for the shirt to come off it will be very clear who the man is. THink about it keep feeding them big macs it will make you look that much better:D

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Don't worry about the hate man. When you go to the beach or pool with those guys and it's time for the shirt to come off it will be very clear who the man is. THink about it keep feeding them big macs it will make you look that much better:D
Preach on brother...I was in Vegas last April at the topless pool at Caesars. Hot chicks all over. I had the attention of a lot of the chicks, with their significant others looking on. It was funny when I'd see the chicks looking at me, then turn to their dude and squeeze their arms with just their thumb and forefinger asking why their arms aren't big.

IronMarc

Awards
Thanks guys, ya, I wrote the post because I was really mad last night and needed to let off some steam. I was mainly mad because it was a girl I liked who was just too ignorant to see why I don't drink and thought I was judging her, oh well, time to move on. I know drinking is ok from time to time, but I mean most of these people go out every weekend and drink way too much, it's drilled in their heads that they have to be s@%t faced to have a good time. But ya, I am feeling a bit better today after reading the replies, kind of sad that there are still people like that who are at the age of 30, you think they would stop caring about what other people are doing and worry about themselves.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
It's not easy being a Magnificent Bastard.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No matter how badass you think something is somebody will look down on it. Big muscles, fast cars, guns, large intimidatting dogs are signs of insecurity to some people. Some people look down on fat people or diffrent races. Nobody how close you are to your ideal somebody will have to put their 2 cents in why it sucks.lol I personally like guard dog breeds and large muscles so I just must be slightly insecure since guns and fast cars aren't that important to me.lol The point is don't ever worry about what other people think and do what you like. Besides I hear all the time how chicks don't like big muscles but I also have girls squeezing my arms or touching me in someway when I go out so it really doesn't matter what you do if your confident you will attract people.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
They look down on us because they know that they don't have the dedication to do what we do. Their only hope is that they can stay attractive and fit without working at it, and when that fails they will fall into depression (or see the light and join a gym).

ManBeast

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I woulda smacked her in the face with me ****! lol The older you get the more mature your friends get (hopefully) and will understand.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Imitation AND mockery are the two greatest forms of flattery.

When you're young, dancing to the beat of a different drum is not always popular. When you're older many will wish they could hear the beat and you may be the drummer they will follow.

To thine own self be true.

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
Don't let it bother you, bro. I got the same reactions from a coworker when I was in LE.

I was powerlifting for years and to her, I was some fatass with alot of bodybuilding and training knowledge. But when we were one on one, she would always ask me, "What can I use to burn bodyfat?". Then when I lost 60 pounds (1/3 of which was bodyfat), :bb2: the ***** didn't have $hit to say to me.

IronMarc

Awards
Wow thanks guys, it's definetly helping me out. I won't let it get to me anymore. I am starting training for a contest now and cannot let anything bother me. I've put aside anyone who's gonna be negative and trying to hang out with my TRUE friends more, the guys and girls who won't say anything if I eat nothing but Tuna and green beans everyday.

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
Just tell them as I do:

"If you can't hang with the BIG DOGS then stay your ASSet on the porch"

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Wow thanks guys, it's definetly helping me out. I won't let it get to me anymore. I am starting training for a contest now and cannot let anything bother me. I've put aside anyone who's gonna be negative and trying to hang out with my TRUE friends more, the guys and girls who won't say anything if I eat nothing but Tuna and green beans everyday.
Most people I know will ask me WHY I do what I do. Then when they find out Im in my thirties and they tought I was in my early 20's they figure it out. Some still dont get it because they then forget my age again. I dont get looked down much on because most of my size is in my back and legs and not many people look there :)

IronMarc

Awards
Most people I know will ask me WHY I do what I do. Then when they find out Im in my thirties and they tought I was in my early 20's they figure it out. Some still dont get it because they then forget my age again. I dont get looked down much on because most of my size is in my back and legs and not many people look there :)
Ahhh I see, my problem is that I have a big chest which sticks out, and my gut is kind of hidden, so when people see me dieting they ask why, cause I don't appear to be over weight.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I just turned 19, and obviously for my bday I had to get completly trashed, 19 is the legal age for drinking here in Canada. A girl I like goes to the bar every weekend, so I thought to myself "Great, now I can finally go with her"
You're in the wrong province dude - 18 is the legal age where I'm from. :)

But other than that, we still have some of those same kinds of people. Most people don't like change - and act antagonistic towards anyone who is attempting to better themselves - that's just human nature. If they don't keep up with you, then they feel they are knocked down a few notches. It's much easier to try to dismiss your efforts than actually improve themselves...

(Unless I misunderstood what you said. If you were to get drunk, fool around with a girl, then later tell that same girl you'll never drink again - she would consider that a slap in the face and an attack on her personally.)

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
when someone makes a comment to me demeaning my body or lifestyle, i shoot it right back at them

What? Are you trying to be a bodybuilder or something?

respond with a comment that highlights the fact that they drink every weekend, smoke pot and cigarettes, looking like a 12 year old girl with their shirt off, could have their ass kicked by an autistic 10 year old, and have a stomach that looks like packed hamburger meat...which of course is fuel for a video game playing machine.

if they try and make you feel like ****, shove it right back in their face. the type of attitude they are exemplifying is the reason that america is a country of disgusting fatasses.

its almost as bad as that lipozene commercial thats on TV every 5 minutes.

"cant lose that stubborn body fat!? ITS NOT YOUR FAULT!!"
"2 capsules of lipozene a day causes a X% decrease in bodyfat, and the best part is that we didnt ask people to change their daily lives!"

1. it is their fault
2. fantastic, a drug that lets fat disgusting people continue their fat disgusting lives and recieve the benefeits of what some of us do with hard work while theyre at it

rant terminated :aargh:

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
LoL... that woman in that commercial looks so fake...
Although I have to defend them a bit, the only percentage I believe they are claiming is that x%of the weight lost was fat (meaning that the person could have lost 2 pounds but have most (from what I recall) of it be fat).

ManBeast

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
What? Are you trying to be a bodybuilder or something?
I say "Yeah, I don't know what's wrong with me. I just don't seem to have the discipline to sit for 8 straight hours and eat nothing but cheesies and beer. I don't know how you do it - but you're a better man than I am. I feel pretty worthless having all those cheerleaders feeling me up and treating me like a piece of meat, but I just don't have the motivation to change... :( I'm just a victim, and it's not my fault - I blame my parents."

LoL, nah - I'm just making that up.:icon_lol: I don't talk to anyone who's out of shape...

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
Ahhh I see, my problem is that I have a big chest which sticks out, and my gut is kind of hidden, so when people see me dieting they ask why, cause I don't appear to be over weight.
In my case, while my chest and shoulders are bigger than any average guy in his 40's, my arms are what gives me away as a powerlifter (20+ inches). But many average person expect me to also possess a 34 inch waist, which is highly unlikely for a powerlifter.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established

Most people think I have 6-8 pack because my chest pushes my shirt out just the right amount :)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Hey Iron Marc, don't feel bad about it bro, they just don't have our mentality about health and the human body. Education is always your best friend, you can tell them why you do what you do and the rest is up to them. If they don't understand then it's their problem, not yours. BTW, it's okay to drink every other week, but don't get sh!tfaced drunk ;)

IronMarc

Awards
I am glad to see that this thread got a lot of responses, I didn't expect so much support, I was just in a really bad mood one night and couldn't take how much criticism I was getting, even though what I was doing was healthy. I was feeling pressure to conform, "If you can't beat em', join em' " but that's not me, I can't stay more than 2 days away from the gym or else I feel like an unproductive piece of s**t. Which sucks, cause I really wanted to try the HST training, but 3 days a week only? It just hurt finding out the girl that I liked was as naive as the other people who "don't understand" why I do what I do. Lee Priest said " Bobybuilding isn't 40 minutes in the gym, it's a lifestyle." But why do people react to someone eating a can of tuna and let's say green beans for lunch the same way they would if they saw a guy wearing a speedo to class. I am getting off topic here, but mainly what people don't realise is that it goes beyond lifting weights and what you do in the gym, it's like hockey where you're only playing when you're on the ice, but most of the results from lifting weights doesn't come from the actual time spent in the gym, but what happens afterwards, mainly what you put into your body and rest. Which means ya, I might have to skip out on drinking or maybe I might have to go to bed before 1am, I don't have a problem with that because my goals are bodybuilding oriented. Some of my friends won't even eat with me because they are embarassed to be seen with a guy eating Cottage cheese, but they sit there and eat french fries covered in gravy with melted cheese over top. I can't wait for there metabolisms to slow down and then try to find the discipline to eat the way I do. Thanks for cheering me up guys.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Its odd how they may be looking down at me all the while Im feeling superior hehe. I do have friends joke around me when they offer me junk food and I decline. They ask why and my answer is "Im perfect" haha always good for a laugh.

heyboy

Banned
Awards
dont worry about it bro, just keep doing your thing

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
:toofunny: iLaugh

Country

Awards
Be around people who are doing better than u so u reach up to them if ur around fools doing **** their not gonna come up to ur level ull end up at theirs. Ive noticed being big in shape people are very kind almost overly kind

ironhands

ironhands

Awards
  • Established
op that was years ago, how are things now

Borashi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Believe it or not but joining the Iron Legion, getting my nutrition right, living the lifestyle I want offends a lot of my coworkers. I started lifting again in June, and now I'm hooked. My depression is gone, I've gained a new confidence in who I am, my anxiety has decreased. I get a lot of you on roid comments, when in reality I bust my ass in the gym, I eat clean, I'm proud of being 37 years old and looking better than 90% of peeps my age. I got hit on by a gorgeous 19 yr old brunette at the grocery store last night. Time will tell where it leads. My point is. We don't lift for approval. We lift because this is our passion. I desire to be strong, feel strong, and look strong. I don't want approval of to feel normal. I want to be a jacked up freak show. If anyone has a problem with it. F em. I had a female coworker, tell me this week, I'm disproportionate, I have G.I. Joe arms on a Ken body. She didn't find it attractive, told me she knew me. lol What I've realized in life when you make a positive transformation, brings envy, jealousy, cause the haters desire to be like you, yet they fail cause they will never have the dedication. That is why my social circle is small. All the new ones trying to ride my wave, are fake, don't deserve a place in my life. Believe in yourself, realize your mind is limitless, accomplish great things.

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wow what a bump! Haha but people disapprove because of do-gooder derogation, they feel threatened by you doing "the right thing," in this case, exercising and eating healthy, so they try to tear you down before you tear them down, because they assume that you will look down on them for not living up to your standards. Excellent attitude though! The only person whose approval I want is the person in the mirror, if someone else has a problem, they can go live their own life.