life expectancy of IFBB pros

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
What do you guys think the life expectancy of the average ifbb pro is? I hear a lot of people saying that they will die in there mid 50's. I'm sure some of them put there bodies throught WAY too much and will die young as a result.

thetimbomb

Awards
i'm not sure. theres a plenty of technology nowadays that could keep them alive.

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
A lot of those guys are into more than Anabolics and Test.

I'll wager my paycheck on the "under".

Gumbo

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A lot of pro BB died in their 50 or less. Some of them that I can remember:

- Ed Kawak
- Mike menzer and his brother
- Sonny schmidt
- Mohamed benaziza

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The Mentzers suffered from brain disorders IIRC.

It's well known both abused heavy amounts of amphetamines.

Momo died from abuse of diuretics. Don't know about Sonny Schmidt and Ed Kawak.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I think it depends on when they quit and how they quit.

Some ultra endurance atheletes like Armstrong cannot just up and quit biking. His heart has to be strategically deconditioned over a period of time in order to bring it back down to a normal level. He could die if he were to abruptly stop all cardio.

IMO, bodybuilders should be exploring techniques like these to avoid early death. All pro BBers almost certainly have enlarged hearts due to the AAS, IGF, HGH and now prostaglandin use. IF one were to develope a way to safely undo this hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, say by strategically lowering calories over a period of time while slowly phasing out lifting and phasing in more and more cardio, one might be able to par down the amount of muscle mass on the heart at the same time as parring down overall LBM to a less stressful level.

It's what I'm going to try when and if I give up lifting. Hopefully, I'll be a skinny old man doing lots of cardio and yoga.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with Bio. I think it's a combination of things as well. I've seen the normal guy live much longer and healthier than the athlete who put their body trhough a lot of extremes.

I'm pretty sure if I make it to 50 it'll be ugly.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Arnolds still kicking it, but he's had alot of complications.
It seems that big Lou is very healthy and looking great.
Granted those guys are from a different age.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Many atheletes with hyper bodies die younger than the average non-athelete. The very act of physical activiy creates an oxidative
enviroment that also increases the release of homocystine which breaks down arterial walls. I think, if you can regulate your liver values and maintain a "high" enough level of cholesterol you can delay the inevitable. Although 50 Wilt Chamberlain years is like 150 years for most men(if you know what I mean)

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Arnolds still kicking it, but he's had alot of complications.
It seems that big Lou is very healthy and looking great.
Granted those guys are from a different age.
True but Arnold problem was inevitable. He had the issue with his heart from birth and it was only a matter of time before it needed to be fixed. I believe they were surprised that he made it as long as he did without the surgery.

All in all if you abuse a substance your most likely going to die young.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Many atheletes with hyper bodies die younger than the average non-athelete. The very act of physical activiy creates an oxidative
enviroment that also increases the release of homocystine which breaks down arterial walls. I think, if you can regulate your liver values and maintain a "high" enough level of cholesterol you can delay the inevitable. Although 50 Wilt Chamberlain years is like 150 years for most men(if you know what I mean)

Add the fact that if you have large amounts of muscle mass near or over your genetic limits, the stress is magnified.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I guess the same goes for Large amount of fat near or in excess magnifies the stress too :)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm going to have to believe that genetic predisposition may have a strong role in life expectancy. We can contribute positively or negatively to the expectancy.

I'm of the same mindset of bioman. I have a LBM goal that I want to attain, hopefully in the next 1-2 yrs. Then my primary goals will be longevity fitness oriented, leaning down significantly, reducing overall body mass while retaining as much LBM as possible.

I'm a rather high strung individual that needs to develop a much more stress free lifestyle and mindset. At 41-43 I really need more valuable and worthwhile ambitions than getting ripped.

JMO

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm a rather high strung individual that needs to develop a much more stress free lifestyle and mindset. At 41-43 I really need more valuable and worthwhile ambitions than getting ripped.
A ****in men, brother.

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
don't you guys know the unofficial IFBB motto?

Die Strong
Die Young
Dianabol

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yep, my priorities are already changing. Gotta baby on the way I'll be concentrating on growing my genetic replacement rather than my pecs,lol.

The really nice thing about dabbling in BBing and this board is that I can take this knowlegde with me into other areas of health management and excercise.

I've been up to 200 pounds and looked all scarey, it was nice, but it's kinda like owning a vintage Ferrari. Constant maintenance to keep it running properly and that just gets harder and harder the older it gets and faster you drive it. lol

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Although 50 Wilt Chamberlain years is like 150 years for most men(if you know what I mean)
:icon_lol: if his claim is true then that's gotta be more impressive then any sports record.

Nice to hear some insight from Brian & Bio, I'm at a point in my life where I don't take life too serious (Gambling is also my side job :D) so I'll juice moderately for the time but once I reach a point where I have a kid coming into the world then my priorities would change in a heartbeat

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
:icon_lol: if his claim is true then that's gotta be more impressive then any sports record.
from wikipedia:

"20,000 women" claim

In his second autobiography, A View from Above (1991), Chamberlain claimed to have had sex with almost 20,000 women. This would have meant, on average, having had sex with more than one new woman every day of his life since the age of 15.
I'm not sure, but that number may be a slight exaggeration

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
Is there a new dead pool out for IFBB maniacs and the like???

Like the one T Nation put out last year????

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Not when he did them 4 or 5 at a time.
If I could do 2 chicks just ONCE then I could die a happy man :D
I seriously doubt he did 20,000 women, but if he did even 5,000 then that's one for the record books LOL.