Any cooks/chefs out there?

dingling

Awards
Just trying to get more of an idea about the life of a chef. I'm curious about the whole process of becoming a chef. Did you go to school? How long have you been in the profession? What's a good way to get your foot in the door if you have no experience or cooking degree?

I'm at a point where I have little idea of what I want to do in life and figured since I love cooking for people this might be something for me. I've already got a nice undergrad loan I'm paying off and the cooking schools I've looked at are pretty steep.

Thanks

deech

Board Supporter
Awards
Just trying to get more of an idea about the life of a chef. I'm curious about the whole process of becoming a chef. Did you go to school? How long have you been in the profession? What's a good way to get your foot in the door if you have no experience or cooking degree?

I'm at a point where I have little idea of what I want to do in life and figured since I love cooking for people this might be something for me. I've already got a nice undergrad loan I'm paying off and the cooking schools I've looked at are pretty steep.

Thanks
I'm not a chef per se, but I've been in the restaurant industry my whole life. I've spent many days managing kitchens along with all other aspects of the restaurant, but I'm not the creative food guy. I've seen them come and go though and chef education is like any other - meaningless until you can actually cook on a production line. Some of the greatest chefs around, including Charlie Trotter who I consider the best chef in the US, didn't even attend cooking school.

The most important thing is to pick a great chef that you want to work for and then go to his/her restaurant and do whatever it takes to get a job there. Even if you have to wash dishes or bus tables. After you get there, WORK YOUR ****ING ASS OFF!! When you do this, you will get the attention of the managers and chef. THEN, make it clear that you want to work as a cook. If you managed all of the rest of this well, you'll get a prep cook position or a garde station or something easy. then you just have to develop your chops until you work your way up. you move to grill, then saute then sous and on and on. It's a tough grind, but if you love food it's totally worth it.

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established

Thanks
I was one for many years. I didn't go to school.....I got hired as a young man and they said "there's your station kid....now get busy!" I learned "trial by fire" style. Worked my way up until I was the head dope in charge of the kitchen, food ordering, etc.

It is a VERY hard industry......it ages you quickly. Ever seen how the Pres. of the USA ages after a four year term? It's like that! Tons of stress and hard work.

Don't get me wrong....it can be very rewarding if you enjoy it and also very fun if you get along with the kitchen and wait staff. Many parties after hours too!

If you can pull it off, try to hang out in a kitchen that puts out 1000 plates in a service and be witness to the chaos and insanity. Make sure that you think you can handle it. School can't prepare you for getting slammed at dinner service. The title of Chef is nice on a piece of paper and certainly would lead to things for you....but nothing beats experience and talent and earning the title of Chef through the heat of battle!