Need advice: should I buy this cheap little ATV?

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have the opportunity to get a 1986 Yamaha Tri-Zinger 60cc three-wheel ATV for cheap money. I know it's very small but the seller is asking only $250, and he is a respected handyman who restored the entire machine just 2 years ago for his son. It runs and drives and looks like new.

I do know a lot about ATVs, having grown up with them all my life, I just don't know if I can justify the limited degree of fun that I'd get from a little 3-wheeler. I'm 29 years old, 5'11" and about 190lbs., but I can still have some fun on this machine (I have test driven it).

Would you take the plunge? I wasn't going to buy another off-road toy until I bought a house on a nice large lot, but this opportunity seems like a good one.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
A 4 wheeler yeah but 3 wheelers are just dangerous. Especially with it being so small compared to you it's that much easier to throw the center of gravity off. /dad speech

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
I used to race three wheelers, when I was younger. I started on a 70cc honda, went to a 110, then to a 200, then to the 250R.. I personally think three wheelers are safer than four wheelers. I have ridden several 4 wheelers, and it is just my opinion that they are more prone to high sideing on the rider than a 3 wheeler is... Plus, They weigh more.

Like I said, this is my personal opinion. I have had a friend killed on a three wheeler, and I know of a few others that have been killed on 4 wheelers. They are as dangerous as you make them.. Or... As dangerous as the parent that is susposed to be watching his kid lets the child be..

If you buy it.. Just make sure you watch your child very close. Some even have a govener on them.. Turn it down until they get used to it.

Just my 2 cents

Bigballa

Awards
I started on a 70cc honda, went to a 110, then to a 200, then to the 250R.
I've had all these with the exception of the 70cc.

The biggest thing you have to look at is the condition of the bike. You can easily spend over the $250 you bought it at if it has problems. For example, if the mufflers bad it was around $100 for a new one back when I had them....no idea the price of them nowadays.

Also, you have to keep it mantained. The carburetor on those things get clogged easily and you will pull and pull and will not be able to get it started without disassembling the carburetor and cleaning the jets out.

Other than that they're really fun to ride and like Stinger I prefer them more than a 4 wheeler.