Got a ticket this morning, advice please!:)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I got pulled over today on the way to work, and was issued a ticket for running a red light. The light was yellow when i went through it (I swear on everything that is holy it was). A coworker who was 2 cars behind me even saw that the light was still yellow, and even took a pic of me pulled over with the officer next to my car w/his cell phone.

I didnt argue with the police officer on the side of the road, because I understand he's just doing his job and I didnt want to break his balls, but I do want to fight this in court because I really didnt run a red light.

I havent had a ticket in over 5 years, and its been a while since Ive been to court. I am of course going to go and plead not guilty. Anyone have any advice on the best way to go about it? Should I bring my friend, who was right behind me and can verify that the light wasnt red as I passed through? Should I wear a tie? :)

BV

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bring your friend and print the picture and if you have a clean driving history you'll end up walking out with probation. I can almost guarentee. Might even get it dropped. Changing lights are pretty easy to fight if you have a clean driving history.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I've fought a few tickets myself. Usually when you appeal it, the officer either shows up or does not. If he does not show up, in my state, I beleive the charge is automatically dropped. If he does show up, you just tell them why you didn't stop (turned yellow when you were too close, it would've been unsafe to stop abruptly). Bring your friend too.

I appealed a ticket one time. The cop showed up. I told them my story, he told them his. They offered to cut the ticket in half just to shut me up. I accepted. That's the least you will get, they'll try to buy you off with cutting it down some money. Now I appeal every ticket I get!

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
They got you, with a clean history you can get out of it, they just want the $$ - you can usually negotiate fine only no points at least if they dont' dismiss the whole thing. having your friend there will help as everyone in court says " I didnt' do it".

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I havent had any traffic violations in over 5 years, I believe my license is totally clean. Like jayhawk said, I just dont want the points on my license - but don't want to pay a fine either! Im sure that Ill at least get it reduced if I show up with my friend and the pic he took. I havent been to court in years so it will be fun:)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Im not too worried about it - actually Im looking forward to going through the process I just hope it comes out in my favor. With any luck, the officer won't show and reducing the fine and/or getting it dropped completely will be easy.

BV

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Theres a bunch of stuff you can do.

You can time the light to see how long the yellow is. USe that to prove where you were in the intersection before you crossed over the last yellow line.

Make sure to know the actual law for Running a red light. What constitutes this? What are the exceptions, etc.

Appear very professional.

Take pictures of the intersection and create a diagram to show where your friend was in the intersection and what they say and what actually happened.

Bring your friend.

Postponed the first day in hopes of the officer not being able to make it.

Use your stellar driving history to show you're a good driver.

Clearly express that you understand how to run a red light, what the different lights mean.

ETc, etc, etc. Just try to think like a lawyer.

:)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Rage. Im glad my buddy had the foresight to snap a pic to prove he was behind me - Im buying him lunch for that one. :) I like the idea of rescheduling the court date - is that something I should do right away?

Here's the NYS law for yellow lights:

(b) Yellow indications:
1. Traffic, except pedestrians, facing a steady circular yellow signal
may enter the intersection; however, said traffic is thereby warned that
the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication
will be exhibited immediately thereafter.
And red lights:

1. Traffic, except pedestrians, facing a steady circular red signal,
unless to make such other movement as is permitted by other indications
shown at the same time, shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if
none, then shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of
the intersection, or in the event there is no crosswalk, at the point
nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of the
approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering the
intersection and shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is
shown except as provided in paragraph two of this subdivision.
I was already through the intersection when the light turned red - it looks like its in the bag.

BV

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
While it may look likes its in the bag, the cop will pull a bunch of sh1t out of his ass in order to save face. They do NOT like losing these cases, but they will respect an individual who presents a better case in a more professional manner. Be overly prepared. I even had a cop talk to me after our trial, telling me how well I did.

Also, the picture is great evidence, make sure you show everything in a professional diagram.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Timing the light is a great idea Rage - that particular yellow light stays yellow for a good while, I know because I drive through it every morning. I would have stopped if I thought I didnt have time to go through. Ill make a diagram showing where I was located when the light turned yellow, and where I would have been at my speed when the light turned red. The only reason why my friend stopped at the light was because the car infront of him (that was directly behind me) stopped while it was still yellow because they saw me getting pulled over.

Im looking forward to it - I havent had to wear a tie in a while and damn if I dont look good dressed up!:D

BV

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Now you're thinking! Best of luck, buddy.