BodyWorlds Exhibit

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I went to the Boston Museum of Science this weekend and saw an exhibit called BODYWORLDS.

The BODY WORLDS exhibitions are first-of-their-kind exhibitions through which visitors learn about anatomy, physiology, and health by viewing real human bodies, using an extraordinary process called Plastination a groundbreaking method for specimen preservation invented by Dr. von Hagens in 1977. The Museum of Science, Boston will host Gunther von Hagens' BODY WORLDS 2: The Anatomical Exhibition of Real Human Bodies which features more than 200 real human specimens, including whole-body plastinates, individual organs, organ configurations and transparent body slices. The exhibition also allows visitors to see and better understand the long-term impact of diseases, the effects of tobacco consumption and the mechanics of artificial supports such as knees and hips. To date, nearly 20 million people around the world have viewed the BODY WORLDS exhibits
They showed regular lungs, the lungs of a smoker, the lungs of a coal miner. They also showed what the human body looks like in various positions, such as the skeletal and muscular structure of a boy skateboarding, playing basketball.

Apparently this contreversial exhibit has been creating a stir because, in fact, it is real people, real bodyparts, on display.

What I found interesting was the artificial fixtures, like steel rods that were in bones, prosthetic knee-joints, etc.

If you get a chance to see this exhibit, I recommend you do. Very interesting.
My girlfriend did not like it though :)

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive been very interested in seing this exibit i just havnt made it down there yet. I wish theyd show what people's muscles would look like that were on anabolics and so forth thatd be pretty cool too, or people that just worked out in general.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have seen this exhibit 4 times in 4 different museums, and each time I learn something new.
Its a great exhibit and I would reccomend it to everybody - fascinating and educational all in one.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
My wife and I saw it in Minneapolis...VERY cool!

B4n3 0n3

I wish theyd show what people's muscles would look like that were on anabolics and so forth thatd be pretty cool too, or people that just worked out in general.
They had one guy called the "muscle man" he was apparently a weight lifter. But the exhibit is in like three cities at a time so it is split up so your city may not have the muscle man.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Saw it 3 times myself, took my daughter to see it.. Very interesting, indeed! :)

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Looks interesting....will keep my eye out for it hitting my town.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Very cool exhibit. Saw it in New York city with a nurse I know and she loved it too. Muscles aside, the circulatory system was the most interesting to me. Not only did it just look intensly cool, you could see the different structures like kidneys and the liver without the meat, just the arteries and veins, suspended in glass tanks filled with water. Very interesting, seeing the different structures of the vessels in the different organs. I'd have something like that in my house if I could.

If you bring your girl be prepared for the fetus exhibits. I know a few women now who saw the whole exhibit and were fine up until that point, then got pretty creeped out.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Very cool exhibit. Saw it in New York city with a nurse I know and she loved it too. Muscles aside, the circulatory system was the most interesting to me. Not only did it just look intensly cool, you could see the different structures like kidneys and the liver without the meat, just the arteries and veins, suspended in glass tanks filled with water. Very interesting, seeing the different structures of the vessels in the different organs. I'd have something like that in my house if I could.

If you bring your girl be prepared for the fetus exhibits. I know a few women now who saw the whole exhibit and were fine up until that point, then got pretty creeped out.
They didn't have that one in Boston (its a good thing too, my GF wouldve hated it.) But I found the artery/vein exhibit in the human face VERY cool...there were so many that you could tell what part of the body it was just from the arteries...

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
They didn't have that one in Boston (its a good thing too, my GF wouldve hated it.) But I found the artery/vein exhibit in the human face VERY cool...there were so many that you could tell what part of the body it was just from the arteries...
I found the kidneys interesting. It was like you could see how they functioned as filters. Very interesting. The only thing I didn't like were the posed exhibits with footballs and that nonsense. Some dignity, you know? There was one real interesting exhibit in the NY show, they seperated this guy's musculature from his skeleton and had them facing each other, holding hangs like they were doing Ring Around the Rosie together, the skeleton and the muscles.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
VolcomX311 MMA 5
MMA 1