The ephedra ban (again)

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty ticked about the ephedra ban being put back on last week (just because).

So, I just went to WebMD.com to see what exactly the FDA and doctors do consider safe for the masses.

Scroll down to the side-effects section...they are the same freaking side-effects as ephedra (increased HR, increased blood pressure, blah, blah)! So now people have to stop taking ephedra and go to the doctor to get their FDA approved meds instead and will have the SAME risks as before. What the hell! My god we have a retarded government.

Prescription Weight Loss Medicine

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
The FDA's own commissioned report lists 5 deaths from ephedra - TOTAL, not since 19XX whatever - total.
Ephedra Ban Lifted

But Meridia is now linked to 29 deaths since '98???
Diet Drug Meridia Under Fire - CBS News

I know I'm ranting...sorry! But the FDA has really gotten under my skin lately!
That's the benefit of Adverse Event Reporting. If some schmuck swills a few gallons of deisel fuel, swallows a fuse, pops an ephedra pill and then lights the fuse and explodes, it's a death linked to ephedra. As for the point in your first post, what did you think was the purpose of the ban? It's the problem controlers like to ignore, why is this stuff unsafe when sold over the counter for weight loss but safe and approved when a doctor hands it to you after your copay and insurance have landed a few bucks in his pocket? The purpose of the rule is to deny you the choice so you have to make that payment. And the fact that you have to pay more to some people who were likely lobbying to some extent for the change in rules isn't even an after thought I'm sure. It's all about your safety you know.

STeGoR

Awards
Thats okay, they still sell it at truck stops around here. Even when the ban was in before.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
The latest:

Salt Lake Tribune - Ephedra ruling means ...

"DSHEA, as the act is known, was meant to force the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to acknowledge the benefits of supplements, not question them, Hatch says. If the ephedra decision is allowed to stand, manufacturers will have little choice but to fund expensive studies - and pass those costs on to consumers - in hopes of persuading the FDA their products are worth the risk. And that, says Hatch, is why the ruling is wrong and must be appealed to U.S. Supreme Court if necessary."

Get'em Senator Hatch!!!